Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Upper age limit for trainees

Upper age limit for trainees

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Upper age limit for trainees

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Ray Shields
    Participant

There is certaionly no age limit, we took on a trainee of 50 years old last year.

Quite often older personnel have a better attitude/work ethic.

Other times they arrive with years of baggage! 😀

Geoffrey Lotz
    Participant

Well, well – this certainly helps! Hafta admit that being over forty was a worry in the back of my mind, but the experiences set out in this thread help me realise that it needn’t be the one big unchangeable no-no factor working against me getting into this field.

Cool bananas! ‘anx folks!

Derek McRiner
    Participant

You have all answered my identical question posted recently….and this is quite encouraging. What is the next step? I imagine it would be writing to as many prospective employers as possible with a suitably updated CV.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Yep 😀

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Hey… I would much prefer the ol’ farts over the young pups as long as they can still climb up the TMS or a-frame safely / don’t kill themselves or get hurt…. Whingin’s out too!! The youngin’s sometimes haffata be coaxxed or coerced ta get on deck…

Andy Shiers
    Participant

But beware 🙂
    Some old farts leave spare cameras in baskets on deck for weeks because they have forgotten where they have put them 😀
    Hmmmmmm 🙄

Geoffrey Lotz
    Participant

I would like to reply to this last post, but can’t seem to be able to find my specs……..last I saw them they were right here on the end of my nose, but now………. 😀

Scatback
    Participant

Howdy gang,

Hope all is well on and offshore? I hope 43 is not too old as I’m 48. I’ve been out of the business for about 15 years now and am trying to get back in. I had a total of 4 years seismic survey, 2 years diver/tender and 7 years of ROV and manned subs during late 80’s thru 93.

With this past experience and still being in good shape, still having common sense and a good work ethic, I’m having difficulty finding work. I’ve recently taken two weeks of XLS system training at Perry as a refresher but no takers yet?

My buddy who’s been doing this for 20 years talked me into getting back in as he said he’s been working steady just about wherever he wants to go.

I heard stories of "experienced and trainees" doing stupid things offshore, yet I’m having trouble getting my foot back in the door. i know it’s just going to take a job or two to get back into the groove but does anyone have any other ideas for getting work? Will I / we have to wait until all the experienced guys are out offshore?

Good luck in your search! 😀

tiger1969
    Participant

😀 😀

G’Day All

Old Smold I am also a newbie to the industry I hope. 🙂 🙂

After 20+ years in the Aust Navy on Helo’s and ships the life skills some of the older trainees are I think more inportant cause we just want to get on with the work and get it done. Seems if you listen to some of the yonger guys there telling the same stories we did all those years ago. If a company doesn’t want you for your age well do we realy want to work for them???

cheers

Steve
    Participant

😀 😀

G’Day All

Old Smold I am also a newbie to the industry I hope. 🙂 🙂

After 20+ years in the Aust Navy on Helo’s and ships the life skills some of the older trainees are I think more inportant cause we just want to get on with the work and get it done. Seems if you listen to some of the yonger guys there telling the same stories we did all those years ago. If a company doesn’t want you for your age well do we realy want to work for them???

cheers

Austria has a navy… well i never lol 😀 😀 😯

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Switzerland has a good one too I hear 😯

Sarcy
    Participant

9 month training course? Mmmmmm yes please. And still a trainee when you come out of that one too – bargain.

I have worked with a few of the ex forces lot that decided to give the rock and roll lifestyle of the ROV world a go, only a couple were up to the job. I don’t care how many millions worth of kit you looked after in the old days – can you take someone 15 years younger than you telling you what to do, where to go and how he likes his coffee?

Good luck all the same.

blowhole
    Participant

Sarcy,

black, 2 sugars and some hobnobs now there’s a good lad

😉

flash
    Participant

Hey Disco Stu,why dont you get on a plane and go to thailand sit in a pub & you will soon be taken on by Mermaid Offshore so I hear.With your background you will be Supervisor in a month.

Good luck!!!! 😉

sniffamahoopa
    Participant

Disco Stu,
    43 is nothing, look at the poorly departed Anna Nicole Smiths late husband, he was mid 90’s and could still park his rover in Anna’s TMS!!! 😯
    With your quals you stand as good a chance if not better than most younger guys trying to get in the game.
    Good Luck and practice parking. Hey its not only fun, its a good joystick workout at the same time! 😆

Regards

Sniffamahoopa

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar