Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Urgent, Urgent! What’s that all about?

Urgent, Urgent! What’s that all about?

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Urgent, Urgent! What’s that all about?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    DJansen
    Participant

What to do ?

How about doing what we used to do… Run guys off who don’t perform or don’t have the experience/ability required..

That is what used to happen… It kept trainees ‘nervous’ and ensured everybody pulled their weight… If you turned up with a bogus CV and clearly couldn’t do the job… Off you went.

The trouble is now the Supv/Supt doesn’t seem to have the authority he used to have either that or is too worried about his own job to cause a ‘problem’ In reality he is doing his job by weeding out the unqualified, inexperienced and the downright dangerous..

Don’t get me wrong trainees are vital for this industry but they should be a there as a ‘fourth’ man and not compromising the safety or the efficiency of the ROV team purely to make more profit…

Lost subs, damaged gear and the risk of injuries are a lot more expensive in the long run than hiring experienced guys for a few quid more a day..

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Djan,

FARQ the "few" quid!!! Let’s get paid what our worth is!!!! I’m am thoroughly farqin’ fed up with having to put up with the farqin’ babies, useless tawats, whingers, whiners, and the likes of them to run a farqin’ job properly.

Work ethics???? You F__KIN OFFice TWATS that think you know what the FARQ’ A-C-T-U-A-L-L-Y goes on offshore are livin’ in a dream world… Full stop…. Friggin’ pm me if you don’t like this ya’ pussies!!! AND leave yur REAL name! I certainly will!

rovnumpty
    Participant

James, DJansen, et al,

Think you’ll find the majority of these Urgent requirments are for two companies.

The top management in both these companies decided to use the global recession as a good excuse not to give pay rises, hire more people, etc. Good business pratice that, as taught by most business schools, universities, etc. Especially appealing to the accountants that run all big businesses.

Now the (much lower down the food chain) ROV managers are having to fill the huge amounts of empty slots they have with whatever they can get for the money they have left in their budgets. Bearing in mind that if they blow their budget, they lose their bonuses for the year, which nowadays is usually a fairly hefty part of the annual wage. Again, good business practice.

As to why the the senior management types take such ludicrous decisions – we are all just ‘technicains’ and ‘garage mechanics’ to them. There’s hundreds of agencies out there telling these people they can get ten ‘technicians’ for the cost of one experienced ROV tech. For all those non technical management types, who don’t know the difference between a spanner and a wrench, that makes a lot of financial sense.

Off course, this all comes back to the fact that any Tom, dick or Piotr can go offshore as an ROV tech with just a medical and a survival

DJansen
    Participant

Yes I’ve witnessed the ‘Every Tom, Dick and Pyotr’ too many times recently and have discussed it with other experienced guys..

One solution that was suggested was to put all the numpties and ‘plastic’ ROV types together on one shift (preferably days) and leave them to it..

Yes I know they would wreck the sub and prolly create a shed load of work for the other experienced shift… BUT in the long run it would be better than sharing out the useless guys and ‘covering’ for them by doing extra work and watching their every move… I know we all try to be professional and keep the job running as best we can.. But I really am starting to think it is the wrong thing to do.. Lump all the hopeless guys together ! When they can’t fly the sub to the worksite or complete simple tasks the Client will want to know why.. They will see that one shift can and one shift can’t and they will expect answers and posibly request a new crew.. Once the orifice starts to get complaints, lost/damaged equipment and downtime penalties they will start to pay attention to who they send out..

WE HAVE BEEN COVERING UP FOR THESE GUYS AND TRYING TO ‘DO THE RIGHT THING’ FOR FAR TOO LONG…. WHY DO TWO JOBS YOURSELF BUT ONLY GET ONE DAYRATE COS YOUR ‘SUB ENG’ IS REALLY ONLY A JUMPED UP TRAINEE ?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar