Home Forums Miscellaneous Odds and Sods US Navy loses four underwater unmanned vehicles…

US Navy loses four underwater unmanned vehicles…

Home Forums Miscellaneous Odds and Sods US Navy loses four underwater unmanned vehicles…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Spacer
    Participant

US Navy loses four underwater unmanned vehicles off Norfolk

Four underwater unmanned vehicles went missing Sunday during training to conduct search, classify and map missions. The Navy, Coast Guard and local authorities were searching for the missing vehicles in the Thimble Shoals Channel between the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, a Navy news release said.

Finders Keepers???

Rons_ROV_Links
    Participant

Finders Keepers???

Probably, haven’t heard that those 4 AUVs have been found.

I know the US Navy was using dolphins to trace the AUVs, but the dolphins might have escaped.

I’m still wondering how you can lose 4 AUVs in 1 weekend.
    Can imagine you’re losing 4 ROVs in 1 weekend? You might get promoted to ‘Admiral Supervisor’ after such a loss. 😉

Spacer
    Participant

I’m not sure but these could be the AUV’s that are lost. looks like it’s back to the drawing board for now.
    If or when they get these things to work together it will be a huge leap in Navy’s mine countermeasures capability. Especially in shallow water.

Tech Underwater Autonomous Robots To Map, Track in Coastal & River Waters

Sit Rep
    Participant

Ah, I finally get it, sub-launched clearance divers.

Rugby on live in pub, forgot mission, beached az.

Rons_ROV_Links
    Participant

I’m not sure but these could be the AUV’s that are lost. looks like it’s back to the drawing board for now.
    If or when they get these things to work together it will be a huge leap in Navy’s mine countermeasures capability. Especially in shallow water.

Tech Underwater Autonomous Robots To Map, Track in Coastal & River Waters

As far as I know the lost AUVs were REMUS types made by Hydroid.

Craig Thorngren
    Participant

This actually happened last month. One was found and recovered. As far as "finders keepers" or better yet admiralty law goes, they are considered property of the Navy so you get no salvage right…

Of course it’d be pretty cool to hang one up in your garage 😯

Chief

R2D2
    Participant

Wow! That’s a set-up for promotion, no fear.
    Just how many more spies do they have or is it just unlucky??

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar