Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Usual sketch, should I, shouldn’t I?

Usual sketch, should I, shouldn’t I?

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Usual sketch, should I, shouldn’t I?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Fyfield
    Participant

Hi all
    Well just gonna start by saying I have read the faq and about 4 years worth of posts on some threads, lil defensive I know but I just wanted to get the full benefit of what you guys think.

I’m a avionics tech in the army working on AH64 helicopters, HM gave me a NVQ 3 in avionics, my job gives me a solid understanding of electronics and a good understanding of hydraulics. Planning on doing a fibre optics course when the time is right and I’m a REME Cpl with some man management experience too but not gonna edge my bets on that fact for this industry.

I guess what I wanna know is it worth signing off, doing some "course" to sweeten the deal and jumping into a caravan to hassle the HR people in Aberdeen and try my luck. It sounds pretty depressing when its phrased that way and not been filled with confidence reading this forum but I want this and any advice/recommendations/experiences that would help me make my choice about fully committing to this course of action.

Hope to hear from the community soon.

Ray Shields
    Participant

I would not say that a course with one of the many Training Schools makes no difference at all. What I will say is it doesn’t make as much of a difference as the Schools like to make out.

The no.1 priority is someone who has the appropriate technical qualifications and experience. If you don’t start with that, you can do any Intensive Advanced Top Gun ROV course you want, and it will help little.

The other thing is that an ROV course is only good for applying for ROV jobs. There are many other jobs offshore (most of which are better paid than ROVs) so again it is silly to limit yourself to that career with a specific course.

Fibre optic course, yes, that would be good, man management, don’t worry about that you wont be in charge of anyone for a few years. Health & Safety courses, that would help – anything involving Risk Assessments, COSHH would be of use. Mechatronics seems to be becoming a popular qualification to have. High voltage working is also very handy.

Alas like the rest of the world, very little repairs are done offshore now, its all swap out cards at best or whole units. Anything showing fault finding training would also be relevant.

As it is, so many people are applying for so few positions, it is down to luck and right place at right time on some occasions.

As I said, I would look ate courses etc. that would help boost your technical qualification side, and don’t limit yourself to ROV, look at SubSea Engineers, Rig ET, Rig Electrician, there are many other jobs offshore, make sure the qualifications you get are relevant for applying to them too.

michael kilby
    Participant

I’m an ex greenie and I’m loving the job.

The money pays my bills, and I get enough work related challenges and learning opportunities to keep me interested.

Getting a start will be the hardest part of this job for you, but as posted above, don’t discard thoughts of other rig based jobs.

And GL with it mate

Mick

PM and I’ll have a chat if you want. Got out in 2007 but will probably know some mutual folks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar