Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Very disappointed

Very disappointed

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Very disappointed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    rovjas
    Participant

I completed my rov training at fort william and have been struggling to get my foot in the door and get my first job. I got given a phone number for a ROV manager ( NOT NAMING ) who I called to see about the possibility of work or advice. I left a message but got no reply.

So today ( a week later ) I decided to drop them an email, asking if it would be possible to meet him and get advice about the best ways to find work and if they are looking for personnel. All I got back was

" we are recruiting but not people such as you with no experience, you have wasted your money"

surly thats no way to advertise the industry or that company to future employees, clients etc etc??

pictish
    Participant

There are several companies recruiting trainees [most are if u look at their sites] at the moment but they are looking for people with previous practical experiance in electronics/hydraulics. Academic qualifacations dont seem to be considered they want guys with a good practical background.
    You could try http://www.subsea7.com they are recruiting in several areas as well as apprentices if u can live on the 10k a year pay it starts at. I spoke to them briefly about a few jobs and they were quite friendly and even asked if i wanted to put my name forward for jobs in other areas after I told them what my skills were.
    You need to remember a large number of ex-forces people have been dumped on the job market many are currently being retrained at colleges in aberdeen. A 7 week course cant compete with years of hands on experiance and completed apprenticships

Ray Shields
    Participant

I completed my rov training at fort william and have been struggling to get my foot in the door and get my first job. I got given a phone number for a ROV manager ( NOT NAMING ) who I called to see about the possibility of work or advice. I left a message but got no reply.

So today ( a week later ) I decided to drop them an email, asking if it would be possible to meet him and get advice about the best ways to find work and if they are looking for personnel. All I got back was

" we are recruiting but not people such as you with no experience, you have wasted your money"

surly thats no way to advertise the industry or that company to future employees, clients etc etc??

As you will find on this board, the general advise is against doing the ROV courses. Thry CAN be of benefit on the CV, however there are many other things to do before doing that. And this includes HNCs in Electrical/electronics, hydraulics, etc. Work experience also counts a lot more.

That is not to say the course might not sway it, but it is not the be all and end all the training companies tell everyone.

As you found, some companies are looking foir time served experienced people, others are looking for people with purely academic backgrounds.

misiuek
    Participant

actually my thought and please don’t take personally is at last a manager with ‘balls’
    after again experiencing somebody from one of these courses ! its a sad fact doing this course is not an automatic entry into the industry "whatever they say during your 7 or whatever weeks"
    the only people that really benefit are the people who run them. if you have the right qualifications you will more than likely get a job and in house training without spending the big bucks.

actually the ‘muppet’ i have had the pleasure of probably did get offshore with his course and his ‘ability’ to bullshit but floundered like a fish out of water when reality hit.

these courses accept anybody and we have to suffer the consequences and with it goes any trust of anyone gleefully bounding off the chopper with his ‘pilot II’ qualification and ahem training….

anyway ….. next chopper mine! ….. there coming to take me away ha ha…

nelson69
    Participant

Hows it going rovjas
    Keep at it the job will turn up , it is true of some companys they dont want to know unless you have the background / degree .
    But i have worked with electrical engineers / mech engineers and it aint rocket science, yes when the shit hits the fan you need to have a clue and need to work as a team to get the job done.
    The PCB boards on some rovs are no harder to understand than you find in a pc. Fault finding and knowing where to look for any problems is the hard part, and with surface mounted components you cant work on them anyway ,anyone can pull a board out and replace it.From what i have been told some rov techs offshore think an ocsiliscope is for putting there coffee on or watching tv on is that correct MISIUEK.
    You didnt want rovjas to take what you say as a bad remark but did you have to rub it in that the next chopper is yours,lets hope when the oil industry takes its next slump you are as good as you think you are. Karma! its a bitch

Savante
    Participant

Seriously, when was the last time anyone here used an oscilloscope on a job?

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Rovjas , being serious for approx’ two minutes !
    Who told or advised you to do the ROV course in Fort William ?
    I would be very interested to know , send me a private message please.

pictish
    Participant

I forgot to add if your looking for other courses there are 2 running at a place in aberdeen called tullos training

Introductions to hydraulics
    FAult finding in electronics

these are 5 day courses the hydraulics one covers all the basic parts of a system,fault finding and reading the plans ect. The electonics one is all about fault finding in analogue/digital and a bit more advanced. They are 350 +vat per course.

They also run the NVQ level 2 in engineering practice which is what alot of apprentices go through and it can be done in 5-7 weeks and again it is 350+vat per 5 days. Several companies send their guys there for apprenticeships retraining ect.

rovnumpty
    Participant

rovjas

Don’t take it personally mate.

A general rule of thumb to use in the industry is that the people in the office are there cause they were crap offshore.

Keep at it, and there’s every chance you’ll get to sh*t on whoever sent you the letter from a great height in about 10 years or so.

The question you should ask yourself is ‘do you want to work for a company who puts someone as unproffesional as this in a position of authority?’ I’ll bet the amswer is no.

TheBaron
    Participant

Rovjas,
    I’ve said it a thousand times in this forum that these ‘ROV courses’ are simply not worth the outlay. You have to be realistic about how recruiting is done in this industry. Engineering background……….let’s talk! No engineering background and a fistfull of ‘tickets’………NEXT!! The biggest problem has been caused by the buoyant market over the last couple of years where ‘bums on seats’ was the priority. This has raised the levels of underqualified bods who got lucky….right time, right place. If the industry slows down in the future, there will be no prizes for guessing which bums will remain on seats.
    I’m with misiuek 100% on the following

don’t take personally is at last a manager with ‘balls’

These are the courses that wannabees should spend their money on:
    http://www.colu.co.uk/

rovjas
    Participant

im not sayin at all im unhappy with doin th course!!

i know i wouldn’t get work souly on that and would have to do add ons. Im more pissed off with the fact I got talked to like a piece of sh1t!!!

his cards are marked and when the day comes that he’s calling me asking me to work for him i know what i’ll be saying to him!

rovnumpty
    Participant

rovjas

Just a wee add on following The Baron’s rant.

Normally, those who complain most about trainees are those who are least confident in their own abilities.

And they are are very much in the minority ofshore. unless you work for oceaneering.

rovbionic
    Participant

rovjas
    I remember when I was a roughneck and a slot came up for a motorhand
    (next position up the ladder …use to spin chain on the drill floor)
    I could spin chain but did not have a clue about the rest of the tasks that go with the job…long story short…driller knew I was bullshiting but I had the right attitude and got my shot at the title.

It is up to the lads on your crew or even that job if you can pull it off.
    If you say you have 3 months experience on the critter you used at the school who knows?

It isn’t getting you no where …..where your at now is it…what do you have to loose.
    You will look back in a few years time and laugh most likely.
    Best of luck….be positive!!!

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Patience is a virtue 🙂

you will find that a lot of companies are employing just now but there is plenty of ex forces boys going about just now and the ops managers seem to love these guys good or bad! I don’t know your working background but companies are looking for some form of technical qualifications and somebody with no technical background apart from an rov course will probably go to the bottom of the pile! That said don’t give up keep sending the cv’s and back that up with a phone call. good luck

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar