Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion What are the qualities of a good ROV Supervisor?

What are the qualities of a good ROV Supervisor?

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion What are the qualities of a good ROV Supervisor?

• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    James McLauchlan
    Participant

Time served?
    Ability to listen to advice, evaluate and act accordingly?
    Good flying skills?
    Good tech skills?
    Pass on skills to newer team members?
    Rule with an iron fist?
    Make maximum use of the best qualities of each team member?
    Get rid of the dross (i.e. honest appraisals)?
    Give all team members a shot on the sticks, until the flying capabilities of each person are known, and slot them into the pilots seats as and when operations dictate?
    Stop flack reigning down onto the team from above?

Savante
    Participant

add to the above;

paperwork handling skills.

diplomacy in dealing with clients.

long term planning and ability to be flexible (sometimes having to be capable to work without onshore management – holidays, sicknes, etc)

enthusiasm to chase spares and components despite someone dropping the ball.

continued ability to make tea.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Actually, I would drop out ‘Rule with an iron fist’.. not my style at all.
    I just added it in as a point (among others) for debate.

Mike Kidd
    Participant

Fly faster than a rushing train
    Stop a speeding bullet
    Have x ray vision
    Lift heavy objects
    Can move entire planets

Oh!
    Thats superman
    What was I thinking 😆

Ray Shields
    Participant

Back in the "good old days" you firstly had to be a Pilot (hopefully learn to fly), then a Sub Engineer (hopefully learn to fix it) before becoming a Supervisor (hopefully able to run a team but able to do any of the other jobs from Piloting to fixing)

More nowadays Supervisors are being chosen for supervisory skills or for ability to run team/deal with Client. This is fine as long as you have a team capable of flying and fixing! Not always the case. So purely being a people person will not make you a good Supervisor.

And of course there are the Supervisors who are made Supervisors simply because the company needs one – not because they can do the job.

My own opinion is that in an ideal world, yes the Supervisor is a team leader, overseeing others. Alas you also DO need to be Superman to be able to do everything when the rest of the team can’t or the Client is shouting and screaming while the rig waits on YOU 🙂

quaich
    Participant

Add lead by example to the list.

The good old days weren’t exactly perfect either though were they Ray. Better than what we have today is all.
    Theres still a few old supervisors about with xx years experience who can’t fix and were failed sub engs.
    From whats happened over the last 5 years we’re in a worse position regarding this than before.
    Give it another 20 years and the term "the good old days" will have disappeared unless natural selection has taken place.
    Natural selection = Weeding out dead wood due to downturn in market.
    The above isn’t really what this threads about though is it.

Anonymous

And never forget the "Peter Principle", in a nutshell, people tend to rise to the level of their incompetence!

😉

Anonymous

Ability to fly "top cover" is good i.e. tact and diplomacy and a decent reservoir of BS.

Ability to RTFM and actually understand it.

Ability to comprehend "technical" English i.e. don’t drive the P/T / Sub-eng mad by being mono-syllabic and requiring a 25 words or less response, after all you did ask what’s wrong, didn’t you?

Long arms and short pockets (after all you don’t want the boys (sorry I meant personnel) to lynch you when you finally get ashore)!

😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar