Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion What path should I follow?

What path should I follow?

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion What path should I follow?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hello everyone,

I’m currently a Eletronics technician and ROV trainee for SS7 Brazil, previously I had an internship on the i-Tech’s(SS7 division) facility here, on the electronics lab, but things were very delayed for a position, so I switched to the Construction division as a Trainee. Here I had an extensive training program with duration of more than 8 months.
    During this time I received an invitation to go on an interview on Sonardyne’s facility here in Brazil, the guy who did the interview was amazed and very keen to make me sign a contract there, the position was a very good one indeed, offering courses on UK and a much better salary, but soon after he said he were not able to do the deal because of the actual downturn, but bad times will end and I’m certain he will try to persuade me again.

The main question I have done to myself is what path is better? On SS7 I feel that I am a little bit limited because actually I’m working on a very old ROV system, although I think I have future, it will take a longer time to achieve. On the other hand on Sonardyne’s offer I’ll open a much cleaner door for working outside my country, something I always dreamed off, but I’m unsure about the company’s stability.

Sit Rep
    Participant

Hi Antonio,

I assume that you are a Brazilian citizen (your English is much better than the Englishmen on this forum)?

Firstly I would say if you still hold the ROV position retain it, if not, go for the the Sonardyne position. It will offer pay, training and exposure to other technology and survey fields.

That’s all

Ciao

Hi sitrep69,

Thanks for your reply and compliment. And yes, I’m a brazilian citizen.

My only concern about SS7 is that currently I’m working with a very old technology, the vessel and ROV I am attached to was launched decades ago.

As I’m very young at the moment I feel that this is the time for investing in my future and I’m not seeing this as a perfect place for getting experience as much of the technology I’m dealing with is outdated.
    Maybe my thinking is wrong, I don’t know really if people that have only worked with old systems are viewed as something bad or not in the ROV industry.

Des_b
    Participant

Hi Antonioc,

If I was you I would go for the Sonardyne opportunity. It may be a very, very long time before the industry recovers and there are alot of guys all going for the same rov jobs.

And before anyone says it Im not after his job by getting him to leave, I still have one… 🙂

Im looking to leave the ROV industry after being in it for only 8 yrs and working onshore in an electrical capacity. There are alot of other jobs out there not ROV related that are fantastic opportunities (offshore as well as onshore). As long as you have the qualifications of course! 😉

If and when the industry picks up again you could always choose to get back into it but the companies are just as quick to drop all of us, as has happened to many this year.

Either way, its your decision and good luck in making your choice!!!

Cheers

Des

Hi Des_b, thanks for your reply and attention, for the present time I’ll have to wait for this downturn moment to pass, not only for the world petroleum industry udownturn but also the actual internal corruption petrobras is struggling within, with affects significantly the whole Brazilian economic (wasn’t very good already) situation, especially on the energy field. Looks like everything is happening at the same time. So, I’ll have to wait on where I am.

Greetings

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Hi Antonioc,

If I was you I would go for the Sonardyne opportunity. It may be a very, very long time before the industry recovers and there are alot of guys all going for the same rov jobs.

And before anyone says it Im not after his job by getting him to leave, I still have one… 🙂

Im looking to leave the ROV industry after being in it for only 8 yrs and working onshore in an electrical capacity. There are alot of other jobs out there not ROV related that are fantastic opportunities (offshore as well as onshore). As long as you have the qualifications of course! 😉

If and when the industry picks up again you could always choose to get back into it but the companies are just as quick to drop all of us, as has happened to many this year.

Either way, its your decision and good luck in making your choice!!!

Cheers

Des

Hi Antonioc,
    Des_b has a good point and I have the chestnut to put out again….. "Never carry all your eggs in one basket"….. Essentially, be diversified.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar