Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner What’s the next step?

What’s the next step?

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner What’s the next step?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    vikram
    Participant

Hey,

I’ve completed the ROV pilot/tech course from FW in Jan 08. Before that I did a 4 yr degree course in Electronics and Telecom Engg. I’m now working towards doing my offshore medical and survival course.
    Rov pilot is my first career decision fresh out of college, which as I have read isn’t the best as it means, no work experience yet. From all that I’ve read on this site, it’s going to be real hard to get started since there are already so many ppl with experience also looking for work. Either way, I’m going to stick with this and make it work somehow.
    Anyway, getting back to my query, I suppose the next step would be to start sending out some CV’s. I was reading through the topics on here where they said that it’s best to apply to companies in your area as foreign companies, say in the UK, wouldn’t be too keen to take on people living in India (where I live).
    Being a rookie in this industry, to find out which companies to apply to, I’ve looked on the IMCA website and have found a list of International and Regional companies and contractors. So i should start by sending stuff out to them?
    Just want to confirm if this is the right way to go about things.

Any replies will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Apply for a job in middle east ,
    NPCC or CCC or Halul marine are always desperate for people 🙂

vikram
    Participant

thanks lostboy.. will look em up! 😀

Ray Shields
    Participant

What Lostboy said 😀

You have a better chance getting started closer to home. Middle East or Far East companies. Heck, theres a lot of work going on off India just now, you might find a local subsiduary of an international ROV company open up down there

You will have a slim chance of getting work with any UK or Eupropean companies as long as you continue to live in India.

Also meantime, try and get a job locally that will get you practical experience. It will not only help your experience but also your CV. A Degree is very good but they dont teach much in the way of practicals? e.g. how to solder?

Someone with a Degree was once described to me as "they can tell you the square root of an orange – but they cannot peel it". You now need to work on increasing your practical experience, get a job to do that while you are applying and seeking ROV work – dont sit without a job on the hope you will get one in ROVs anytime soon.

vikram
    Participant

You got that spot on ray. 4 yrs deg did include practical experience. But industrial esperience is another ball game. Soldering, pcb boards, cable splicing yes, but minimal! It’s almost embaressing to admit it 😳
    I read the line about pealing the orange in the faq’s. lol It’s sweet!
    Will be on the look out for some kind of job. Who knows how long it’l be till I get my first break. No point sitting at home counting the days. Afterall an idle mind is the devils work shop! 😉

Andy Shiers
    Participant

There is …………….. Of course 8)
    Del Monte 😯
    A good place to learn how to peel 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar