Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Where is the best training center?

Where is the best training center?

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Where is the best training center?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Any good training addresses?
    Thanks

Savante
    Participant

it’s real – some friends of mine did it; fugro do their training up their now, and I think subsea7 too?

Ray Shields
    Participant

Hi I m about to do this training at the underwater center at Fort Williams in Scotland and I just wanted to be shure that it s real!!!
    Dose anybody knows it?
    thank s

You are about to do it, meaning you have already shelled out money to them and you are only NOW finding out about them??

What is your background, are you already technically qualified, have you already got some electrical, electronic, hydraulic experience and vocational qualifications?

If not, then no matter what they tell you at the course, the course on its own will not get you a job. It will NOT "show commitment to your chosen career" or any other such guff. It can cost up to several thousand pounds to do the course and there is no guarantee at the end. You will also NOT leave the couyrse as an IMCA certified Pilot tech 2 (for a start IMCA dont certify anyone), and 10 hours of flying a Falcon in a loch can only be considered a taster of flying an ROV.

Al the advice given on this site says concentrate on getting HNC, HND or other equivalent vocational qualifications or work in electrical or hydraulic industrires to get the skills you need to get into ROVs. ONLy if you already have these should you consider an ROV course.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

🙄

Stitch
    Participant

Don’t waste your money on a course without a job offer. The Fort William centre is only interested in taking your money, they make all kinds of claims about guaranteed employment. They take people on the courses without any technical background and tell them that they will be ROV Technicians at the end of it.

If your background and skills are good enough you will get a job without the course. Once you get a job your employer will send you on the relavent courses.

I know someone who did the course at Fort William and wished he hadn’t. He says it didn’t prepare him for the job atall.

At least with the MTCS Course that employers may send you on you get a text book and enrollment in the IMCA Competance scheme.

Allegedly
    Participant

8) Now, I dont normally give a toss about someone slagging someone or something off but hopi, I see you are possibly of the French persuasion so maybe your command of english is at a level where it could cause a little confusion. I know my french would probably get me a smack in the gob in Marseille (and as a Diving Supervisor it very nearly did)……so, yes mate or should I say Oui mon Ami, it’s up in sunny NW Scotland. One of the posters says they are only after your money, guarantee work after etc but then he says he knows someone who went there,(who was dissatisfied, fair comment). I dont know the poster but I wouldn’t slag him off on hearsay though he seems happy to do so about somewhere he’s not actually been,(and this applies to all training establishments).If its an opinion thats been earned, respect but otherwise..naughty.I know the place and the instructors and while it is a business, they make no such claims. The ticket is ‘recognised’ by IMCA, not issued and like any one at entry level in any industry you are given an accepted title, i.e. PT II. Hell, if you’re a trainee plumber you’re still called a plumber, albeit an apprentice one.Rays comments re skill training if you’re not already trade qualified are sound,enrol on distance learning at the least but we have to admit there are many good guys out there who initially had little or no relevant background experience when they started out.As a parting comment, I also know lots of guys, very well qualified, particularly ex military, who had no luck whatsoever banging out CVs who then did courses at the school in question (and others) who then got taken on.Whether the knockers like it or not, it clearly can and does make a difference.Sorry this is a bit long winded but I’ve read years of negative f*****g s**te on here and thought I’d finally get off the wall.Hopi, Bon Chance et av e vu un cuppa!Je tem sut alors….fuckit 😀

nelson69
    Participant

I went on the course in feb 07 , 9 grand it cost.
    they do not promise you that you will get work but they do help you from day one and i am still getting emails from the instructor telling me of jobs .Many companies contact them and ask if they have any students they recommend .
    i have no qualifications in elec / mech / hydr but have worked with electrics i my last job.
    I was very lucky i got a job 1 week before i completed course , money was good and i get to see some of the world.
    My supervisor ( is BAC elec engineering) is willing for me to learn as much as i can from him , but i am looking into doing HNC electrical engineering over the net, it does take much longer than normal HNC and cost a fair bit, but it will benifit me in the future.
    If you are sure you want to join the industry ( its not all sweet roses) and willing to work hard , go for it , fortbill will help as much as they can and you do get real SVQs once you pass the electronics side of it .
    Best of luck

LukeD
    Participant

So you think the 9 grand was worth it ?
    Seems an awful lot plus the survival and medical 😕

sedco
    Participant

It was around 3 grand when I did the course in 1999 at Subserv. I can earn that back in about 8 days at todays rates.

Extrapolating from that, Supervisors should be on about £1125/day in 2015.

nelson69
    Participant

As it was i had called around few companys and they told me without HNC / HND i dont stand a chance of getting job.
    The 9 grand was for the rov and electronics course, yes it is alot of cash . It could have been so much different if i was still looking for work now because i had left my job of 11 years with 25000 salary .
    I have been working six months and got back the money and more on first three months, so for me it has been the best move in my life so far. If i can earn more than my old salary then all is good.
    long may it last.

Savante
    Participant

sedco- I look forward to 2015, but I guess bread in scotland will be the same as norway today by then!! 😆

Andy Shiers
    Participant

That depends on whether it was before the day after tomorrow 😆

Anonymous

Hey there;
    Of course the underwatercenter exist since 1970; but by not practicing my english I lose it, So as we say in the States, wen we say a stupid thing"excuse my french"…Anyway a talked to Paul.B the instructor at the underwatercenter; very nice man. He s gonna be my instructor in january (or one of them?) and it sems that it s one the best schools in europe. I’ll see.
    So yes I had my reply, thank s.
    Hop I see ya.
    Peace

LukeD
    Participant

Still seems an awful lot of money to me 😕
    You’d be better off going to work for the likes of Sclub or Fugro and doing their inhouse training ( And they pay for it 😀 )

blowhole
    Participant

a friend of mine went on the course and reported that the guy there was very good i think he said his name was paul.

as long as the course is being run by decent guys with experience then you will always come out of it better than you went in.

Ta,

BH

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar