Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Where is the best training center?

Where is the best training center?

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Where is the best training center?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Ionic,

Just remember this one thing, there are too many self-impressed people in the ROV industry. Some of which I shake my head at and just walk away from them. Most don’t give you the time of day because you can’t get a word in edgewise as they’re too busy jaw-jackin’. I’ve been in the biz’ for 27 yrs. now…. don’t have any time for self-impressed prats be they oldies or newbies…

landyman
    Participant

Just thought I would add my experience to the forum, I too attended the underwater center back in 2006. I previously came from a mechanical background and spent my life savings to do this course. Of coarse I was nervous and everyone I knew said I was making a big mistake and wasting a lot of money, the part of the country I came from no one had even heard of an rov let alone gain employment but the key thing about going on this course is it gives you a BIG insite into the rov industry,picking up key skills as well and in my case obtaining valuable contacts and you know the saying ‘its not what you know but who you know’. (Dont be shy just ask) I personally found this course a big help and I gained employment straight away after the course . The instucters are very supportive and generally very nice people one instance I was struggling a bit with the electronics side and the instructer would stay back late to help you, they are not their just to take your money!! I have read a few articles obviously written by narrow minded baffoons saying that its a waste of money and regarding the ex students as idiots.
    All I can say to you people who will be attending the course is if you are prepared to put the effort in and want to follow your ambition in life DO IT!!.Dont be put off by these petty minded people. Before I attended the course I planned to travel to Aberdeen once the rov course was finished to actively seek work by calling at all the agencies and ROV companys ,I did this and found work with an agency and also I attended an interview which lead to a permenant job with a reputable company. Which I am still with and doing very well, slowly working my way up.
    Hope this helps and remember you make your own luck!!

AnthROV
    Participant

I Tottaly agree with Landymanm, there seems to be a lot of people on here and in the ROV commuinty that is harsh to newcommers as if to scare them off in fear of flooding there area .. this is not going to happen !

I Myself are very much of a newb and my course date isnt untill september at FW The underwater Center and yes i’ve spent 9’500K on the course and i have no prev tech skills etc etc i come from a computer based job!,I Have good friends in the ROV area that are really good for advise and have told me experince will way in as in Any job but without the course i’d get nowhere a guy i’v know for yrs had done the ROC P-Tech course at FW and is now in Africa working 3 months of the year making what he previously did in 12 mths so its worked out well for him.

Im very much of a newb and hope to find some peeps on this site who can help me and advise there oppinions but i wanted to give my 10ps worth to the other newbs that seem to be getting put off by all the "You dont have a chance mate" comments in threads like this one its Bulls* and negitive info not to mention incorrect to the newbs that the more experinced guys should be helping out there not stealing your job ha!

The bottom line is and this is a fact you need NO Tech/elec skills if you want to be an ROV Pilot and if you choose to do the work at somwhere like FW U/watercenter then yes its costing you a bomb !!! BUT you now have the tools to go out there and work doing what you wanna do ! i now know 3 guys my age 26 that are Off-s making 30K plus with at least 4 mths off a year ! with no prev background,Im looking forward to completing my course at FW come Sept and wishing everyone thats doing the same best of luck!

I Guess us newbs have to stick together due to the crazy hostility around here ! lol

Anth :tup:

marley
    Participant

AnthROV, Marley here, you have made some good points in your last post.
    You also made some untrue ones also. you say that you need NO technical/electronic skills to be an ROV pilot. Thats true you dont need any to be a pilot, but I think theres more to it then just flyiing the damn thing. When you got the company man sitting on your shoulder with his tongue doing 100miles an hour someone on the shift do need to know how to fix the ROV. If you can get a PILOTS job, wonderful, if you can play XBOX you got her knocked. If your applying for a PILOT TECH job, XBOX skills just wont cut it. On a lighter note I agree with the "training course points". No one should be put off by the comments that people put on here, figure it out yourself, only you yourself know whats right, affordable, or worthwhile for you. I spent every penney I could get me hands on to do offshore courses, it payed off and I got it all back in a month or two. Never did an ROV course though, I guess my electronic skills got me the job. OH did I just say that you do need technical skills. Too all newbies, be patient, do some courses, March is coming, and youll get your chance. Good luck.

ekmonster
    Participant

So, No tech/elect skils needed to be an ROV pilot/tech??

thinsub
    Participant

Glad I don’t work for a company that hires non tech types, Its hard enough with all the ex RAF types.

AnthROV
    Participant

Hey Marly nice reply and dont think for a second im knocking the guys with the tech experince per ROV courses ! The fact is the tech skills in a LOT of jobs goes a dam long way to land a contract just as much as experince O/S does as well so newbs will find it harded without the right contacts to land them,But on the Tech point i was talking with regard just to the ROV pilot contract and i do appreshate you need Elec skills and to appeal to the higher majority of companys out there but again saying that there are ROV pilot jobs out there and you can pick a lot of the elecy skills up working with a good team then come back compete the elec-tech side which is £4’500 on top of the ROV PT and gain thos all inportant Elec-tech side which so many people say idnt possible this is exacly what i intend to do and what 2 of my close friends have done and are now working in egypt gaining a lot of good experince in the ROV trade so to your very short post Ekmonster for the pilot job no elec skills are required you can gain so valuable experince then come back compete the elec side and then have a lot better idea of the ROV before started that side of it and have some experince on the old CV !

Im lucky enough to know the guys in the job allready so i can get the pilot job easy enough if it wasnt for this i might have considered doing the tech-elec side all in one swoop but i’v seen first hand the job and course i need to do,Experince is the most important thing to stick on my CV at present after the course so ill have to slum it for a while before i get the elec-tech quali under the belt .

Thinsub everyone has to start somwhere pal but im glad you dont work with the guys whome aint in your division ! 😉

Back to my other post its the bad vibe going around in posts like this as if trying to put newbs off that gets me everyone starts somewhere and yes a lot of people throw money at courses to fasttrack and this is frowned apon by exlabished members of the ROV world thats just how it is maybe sites like this should be bringing the ROV commuity together and helping one another and the new guys rather than these negitive vibes and alwats what people cant do,Jobs they cant get,course’s than wont help and just really harsh,Woukd be good for the more experinced guys to come on to this Newbcorner over here and get some usefull tips and things on here,but without doubt these courses work and get jobs, thanks to marly a more experinced guy coming on and backing me up on it .

centurion
    Participant

\ as if to scare them off in fear of flooding there area .. this is not going to happen !

You right it’s not GOING to happen. It’s happening already.

Take a look at the company & agency sites to see how many jobs have been advertised over the winter. Pretty dam few. We are back to a state of equilibrium where there is not enough work for everyone over the winter but lads will be able to make up their days in the summer.

In my book thats saturation point. After saturation we get flooding.

Is that a good time to be entering an industry 🙄 😀

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Anthrov,

2 questions for you… 1.) Were you parshed when you wrote that reply?

And 2.) Do you talk as much / like that on the job?

AnthROV
    Participant

Fair point certurion but a little extream the market is hardly staurated or flooded , if thats your veiw then you should be looking at other jobs where winter/summer what ever theres no work, thats flooded ! yes its harder now but theres plenty out there even so thats life and its strong comp these days its just the way it is .

Scotbeve I take it you read the topic on this thread so if you’v nothing to add other than sill litlle boy questions maybe go register on facebook dude 😉
    looking for info posts from members with somthing to say and good infomation on the job thins web site has a lot of quality info on here and a lot of really helpfull guys with a lot of knollage base,Sadly also like yourself theres a lot of Scotbeves on here 😛

thinsub
    Participant

Anthrov

I wish you luck in the Industry as you seem to have plenty of confidence in yourself and the course you are about to embark upon.

The simple fact of the matter is there are plenty of newbies joined the industry over the last couple of years which is a big dillution of skills and for newbies to come in with no or very little technical ability does make the job for the rest of us a lot harder.

I for one enjoy bringing on the development of trainees but it is a lot easier if they have some tech ability. i.e. you can give them a job and know they can complete it without any supervision and bounce ideas off them when fault finding etc.

If you think you are being fast tracked by going to do a course at FW, I would be amazed as most companies worth there salt have there own training and competancy scheme, which goals and good appraisals have to be achieved before advancing there careers.

thinsub

Ewan McKen
    Participant

theres a lot of Scotbeves on here

I am sure there is only one Scotbeve.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

theres a lot of Scotbeves on here

I am sure there is only one Scotbeve.

Duuude…

Yeah, they threw away the mold (didn’t want another one…) 😆 😆

Thinsub,

Do you have English basic 101 books for sale on your site? Report dogs books?

AnthROV
    Participant

Thinsub thanks for the reply dude,I know i’ve been gassing on here now on this topic for a couple of days now and i a few guys have pm’d me with some great advise ect. etc. I think just because i know the guys in the ROV trade i come across over confident i dont mean to undermine anyone here what so ever and hope no ones been offended

Scotbeve thanks again for the quality control man 😆

Sue your a sound geezer 😛 think i’ve got an Engish book here with me ………….. Obvisly havnt’nntntttntntttt’t reed it yat 😀

Peace .

Anthrov

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Thinsub thanks for the reply dude,I know i’ve been gassing on here now on this topic for a couple of days now and i a few guys have pm’d me with some great advise ect. etc. I think just because i know the guys in the ROV trade i come across over confident i dont mean to undermine anyone here what so ever and hope no ones been offended

Scotbeve thanks again for the quality control man 😆

Sue your a sound geezer 😛 think i’ve got an Engish book here with me ………….. Obvisly havnt’nntntttntntttt’t reed it yat 😀

Peace .

Anthrov

Cool… That’s the spirit lad! 8)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar