Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Where is the best training center?

Where is the best training center?

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Where is the best training center?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Andy Birchall
    Participant

I have just finished my course at the Underwater Centre.

So, I would like to just add to some of the thnigs said in this thread:

1. As stated, they DO NOT guarantee work after the course.

2. The course is expensive. There are cheaper course sout there, but the full course (closer to £10k now, including accommodation) is actually 2 courses. 1 is a 4 week Electronics course, and the other is a 3 week ROV Pilot/Tech course. If you have good Electronics experience, talk to them about possibly NOT doing the Electronics. That will make the whole thing a lot cheaper.

3. They are very good at what they do, try very hard to get you the maximum amount of flying time possible.

4. If the course was absolutely no advantage whatsoever, then Fugro would not use it as their sole ROV staff training centre.

5. According to the Fugro lads doing their course while we were doing ours, they have actually reserved several more courses during 2008 for future ROV trainees. I’ve had no absolute confirmation of this, of course.

6. I have not yet secured any work, but I only finished my course 2 weeks ago, so it’s early days yet.

My advice – do the course if you can afford it, but have a fall back in case you don’t get work immediately after.

Hope this helps, and you didn’t get bored half way through reading… lol

Ray Shields
    Participant

4. If the course was absolutely no advantage whatsoever, then Fugro would not use it as their sole ROV staff training centre.

5. According to the Fugro lads doing their course while we were doing ours, they have actually reserved several more courses during 2008 for future ROV trainees. I’ve had no absolute confirmation of this, of course.

Fugro are now using Fort William to provide all of their basic induction training so there will be lots more courses there, other ROV companies also use them to supply training – so if you got a job as a Trainee with Fugro they would put you on that course, so why waste your money paying for it yourself?

As I have said in the past, the training course is not what gets you the job, its your previous qualifications and experience that will get you it and then they will put you on the course anyway (not the electronics bit, just the basic ROV course).

Very few say its of no advantage at all, just that it can be a waste of money. It would have to be a very bad course for you to learn nothing at all.

And just because they have chosen to use it doesn not necessarily make them right 😀

Andy Birchall
    Participant

Fair comments, Ray.

If it’s possible to get a position with Fugro, and let them pay for the course, then that’s definitely a better way to do it. I missed that detail when doing my research prior to the course.

However, for those who don’t get to work at Fugro, but still wishing to get into the industry, it’s easier to do so WITH the UWC qual (or any other reputable one, for that matter) than WITHOUT.

When push comes to shove I’d rather have spent the money and have the certificates than not. If someone doesn’t think the certs are worth anything in the real world, then that only means that person is unlikely to offer me a job. I can live with that. Especially as it might easily mean 3 other people would consider mey application where they would not have if I didn’t have the certs.

I’ll pay the course fees back , and I’ll be glad I did it. That’s all that matters.

deevalue
    Participant

My Electronics course was a 3 year apprenticeship.

The hard earned qualification i thought was devalued by the 4 weeks offered to totally unqualified individuals by Fort William. Then I worked with one of the "graduates".

He is not qualified! Totally dangerous I would say, thought he was qualified but didn’t know basic safety, things I learn’t during my 1st week.

The ROV course is doing a huge injustice to the industry and endangering personnel.

IMHO

Ray Shields
    Participant

My Electronics course was a 3 year apprenticeship.

The hard earned qualification i thought was devalued by the 4 weeks offered to totally unqualified individuals by Fort William. Then I worked with one of the "graduates".

He is not qualified! Totally dangerous I would say, thought he was qualified but didn’t know basic safety, things I learn’t during my 1st week.

The ROV course is doing a huge injustice to the industry and endagering personnel.

IMHO

Unfortunately this is one of the drawbacks with any training school (not just FW). If people come out realising they have just had an introduction and are not TRAINED then this is fine.

Unfortunately most of us offshore have now met someone who has attended such courses and think they are fully qualified. Which of course they are not.

Andy Birchall
    Participant

Lol. Oh yes, I’ll bet they exist all right. I don’t intend to be one, either. I’m not stupid enough to think I know it all already. I expect I’ll be sweeping the ROV shack floor and making the tea for most of my first couple of jobs.

subseascott
    Participant

Ha, ha,ha! Some good posts here. I think that maybe the only thing that FW dont seem to have is a winch simulator for all those lost hours looking at the sun (some good tans to be had), if you’re lucky!!! What about a virtual American company man / OCM with 50 years experience in the GOM to scream down your necks while 1 sub is coming back on deck for a re-term while the other sub is on it’s way back down!! Bla, bla, bla!!!!

People with lesser amounts of experience than others are pretty lucky to have this forum in the sense that they get a jist of what the crack is off shore prior to stepping into a demanding environment.

Anyway, yadee ya like a lot of the posts. Everyone’s different & I’m sure a few potential trainees will be budding Sup Nintendo’s in the next 5 years. Main thing is, don’t abuse the position, learn from it & take something from what you can offer lees experienced personnel. Chances are, you’ll end up in Africa or India at the moment as it seems to be more developing just now. A lot of completions & construction coming up there so all the best to the guys / girls looking for a start whether it be agency or OI, Fugro…………….

drew
    Participant

6. I have not yet secured any work, but I only finished my course 2 weeks ago, so it’s early days yet.

Andy B.

I’m signed up for FW’s July 08 course..the 7 week course.

Have you had any success landing a job?

Thanks
    Drew

Yes India is developing just now……………..If only their infrastucture would develop with the economy……………………………ball ache getting in and even worse getting out……………………

FRANKIE
    Participant

Hi there,

I have just completed the Electronics and Rov pilot course and it is the best money i have ever spent. The instructors were brilliant and the training, experience and knowledge they passed on was 2nd to none, they did not paint a rosey picture saying it was easy to get a job but i still recieve emails from them about job vacancies. I have observed this website for a while now and have seen many negative comments about the centre, and i wonder if those who posted them have actually visited the centre and seen the training facilities there? The instructors took time out to aid me with my cv, I am a ex submariner and the guidance on cv writing from my organisation was rubbish. Spookily enough after instructors helped me re-write the cv i emailed a few companies and have been offered a job as a Rov pilot/tech trainee, so who says that people are wasting their dosh attending this course . I have seen Sonsub and Fugro trainees attending the Rov course…need i say anymore. Yes i may have been lucky getting a job straight away, and yes i am a Rov virgin to the industry but in the end we all have to start somewhere, where be it a trainee plumber or a trainee Rov pilot. so anybody who wants a career in the Rov industry, go and do the course i can only have good POSITIVE news about the Underwater Centre.

TheProphet
    Participant

It may be good training but it certainly doesn’t qualify you as a Pilot Tech 2 as the certification says, a Trainee would be more apt. As a matter of interest Frankie who took you on. 😀

Preid
    Participant

It may be good training but it certainly doesn’t qualify you as a Pilot Tech 2 as the certification says, a Trainee would be more apt.

Agreed

skiptonian
    Participant

I’ve just finished the ROV course at Fort William and found the training to be excellent. The instructors are all very dedicated to preparing you as best they can for the industry. Their insight and experience of the industry is extremely useful if you’re willing to take it on board. The instructors always seem prepared to spend time with you if you’re having difficulties or want to discuss matters more in depth, and often work into the evenings. At no time did they make claims that you will walk into a job and neither did they claim you that you will leave the course as anything more than a trainee.

You leave with a logbook saying your Pilot / Tech II according to IMCA guidelines. But ultimately these are only guidelines and most companies have their own ranking structure for Pilot / techs. Fugro have used this course for a while and Sonsub now use the centre as preparation for their new intakes.

Early in the course you’re offered CV preparation classes and one to one sessions if you require it. Basically if you go there with the attitude that you want to learn their there for you. When you’ve finished they don’t just cut you lose either, there’s a support structure for ex-students looking for advice.

I left Fort William on Sunday 13th of April, had 3 days of offshore survival training and was offered a job on Thursday morning. And lets just say the offer is such that I will be able to pay the £10,000 course fees back this year.

Rhodes
    Participant

I finished my course in january, and I bilieve that it helped me to get into the biz, all my experience in electronic was helpfull, and hydraulics, but the most importante is the way they teach you to good way to do the job.
    All the employers looked at my CV and when they see The Underwater Centre ROV tranaing they say HUM, this is the One we need… Having technical background is importante, of course.
    I found work right away…
    Speaking English is very importante.

I right this post beause I see to mutch non sense stuff about the trainning centre.

All my best wish to The Underwter Centre in Fort William, that give the best course and tips to get into the ROV world…
    Cheers 😀

Ray Shields
    Participant

I finished my course in january, and I bilieve that it helped me to get into the biz, all my experience in electronic was helpfull, and hydraulics, but the most importante is the way they teach you to good way to do the job.
    All the employers looked at my CV and when they see The Underwater Centre ROV tranaing they say HUM, this is the One we need… Having technical background is importante, of course.
    I found work right away…
    Speaking English is very importante.

I right this post beause I see to mutch non sense stuff about the trainning centre.

All my best wish to The Underwter Centre in Fort William, that give the best course and tips to get into the ROV world…
    Cheers 😀

Were you being tongue in cheek when you said speaking English was important??

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar