Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Where should I go from here?

Where should I go from here?

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Where should I go from here?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David
    Participant

Hey guys

I’m a 21 year old living in Australia and I have studied traditional Mechanical engineering Bachelors for 2 years (of a 4 year degree) and then deferred my studies. It’s a highly theoretical school and I have no desire to spend my career behind a desk. I have absolutely no other formal qualifications (except highschool). I pick up practical work quickly and I work on my own personal projects such as building computers, rebuilding engines etc. (yet again no formal experience or qualifications)

I have a very strong desire to work offshore in any practical job related to the oil industry and I’m willing to bend over backwards and do whatever it takes to get there

I have applied to a marine college to become a ships engineering officer (STCW 95 III/2 + BSc Marine engineering) but there is a strong chance I won’t make it as it’s highly competitive and we have a very small number of shipping companies here that take only 1-2 cadets a year

1) is the Engineering degree of any use in the Offshore or ROV industry and is it worth me returning to Uni?

2) Am I wasting my time by applying to entrylevel/apprenticeship ROV jobs in my current position? (considering they will have 1000’s more qualified people applying)

3) would there be any other suggestions as to what I should do to help me get into this industry now or to set me up to get into it in the future?

Ray Shields
    Participant

For rovs I feel the many people with practical experience will have a better chance than yourself.

However there are many other – better paid – jobs offshore such as subsea engineers, companies that design and build the equipment that is installed subsea etc. I would fond out more info on those to consider.

David
    Participant

Rayshields,

After perusing these forums for a little while I am aware that an ROV job is not that highly paid, but I can assure you it is more money than I have ever seen in my life, and for me money is not a main factor, as long as I can live on it.

I’m not at all interested in the design side of things, I would prefer to operate or maintain, that is one of the reasons I put my engg degree on hold.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Then I would suggest you need to get practical qualifications and experience on your CV or you have very little chance with the thousands of people out there right now all after a handful of jobs.

Degrees do not teach the practical skills required to maintain the equipment, they do not teach you how to solder, splice cables, repair leaking hydraulic connectors, etc.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar