Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner which course is better

which course is better

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner which course is better

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    aky_777
    Participant

hey i m new to ROV WORLD, so i m about to do the rov course. so plz can nyone tell me that which one is better off the two. i mean from underwater centre in u.k. or the subnet services from phillipinnes.

well about me i m a 4th marine engineer with 4 years of experience under my belt on cargo ships. i have done 4 ships till now comprising of bulk,oil and lpg tanker. i have been the incharge of aux eng. and purifiers on the ship.

so do u think tht i have a fair chance in gettin into this rov business.yes one more thing that i did studied electrical and electronics in my college but it did’nt had much of the use onboard as we used to have a designated electrical officer on board.

plz tell me as wot r my chances of succeding in this rov line.

and also on what basis does the people get promotion in rov. i do know tht it is on the basis of flying hours. but how much least flying hours for each rank is required to get promoted to the next higher rank. and the promotion is direct after completing the flying hours or there are ny exams to be cleared to get promoted to the next rank.

plz help me out.

Bill Evans
    Participant

There are other courses out there besides the 2 you have mentioned. Whichever one you choose to do, please ensure that you meet the IMCA guidelines for engineering training and experience to avoid the disappointment of shelling out money only to find out that employers aren’t interested in your qualifications. The Intro ROV course is supposed to transition qualified people into the industry, not bring in unqualified people under the guise of being ‘trained’.

argh-o-vee
    Participant

aky_777,

With the class 4 Im also presuming you got your HND in Marine Engineering and NVQ Level 3 in Merchant Vessel Engineering?!

I would’nt of thought there would be any need to pay through the nose for any of these courses as by studying these and with 4 years experience offshore I’d say you’re more than qualified…..more so than most the trainees they send out now!

My company paid for my ROV course a few years ago and to be honest it was a waste of time, I learned more in my first few trips as trainee P/T. The mechanics/hydraulics was’nt a problem but like your self we used to have dedicated ETO’s so I had’nt really done much in the way of electrics since my HND but once you get those drawings out the old electrical theory comes flooding back.

It didnt take me long for promotion either, just keep your head down, nose clean and get stuck into the competencies.

I would just get your CV out to the big players and see what they come back with, if they want you to do the course that much Im sure they’ll pay for it.

Good luck.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar