Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Who has an ROV Competency Certificate

Who has an ROV Competency Certificate

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Who has an ROV Competency Certificate

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    rovpilot
    Participant

So,
    No one in the ROV industry has a qualification recognising the ROV trade (if you could call it a trade) or their position in it???

DJansen
    Participant

RS:

It means they paid IMCA money to join as members. It means absolutely nothing. It does not make them any better or more qualified/authoritive that anyone else.

😆 I remember when ‘IMCA’ was the big buzzword in my old company’s office.. Everthing was ‘IMCA this… ‘IMCA that…" 🙄

And then…… They discovered that they had to pay to be a member 😯

Last we heard about it… until the cheap plastic cards arrived (with an IMCA logo) and we were all ‘gradfathered’ in… Guess it was cheaper to print cards than it was to actually join.. It’s just not worth the paper it’s written on. You can either do the job to the required standard for the project.. Or you can’t.

Back in the ‘old days’ if you weren’t up to scratch they just used to ‘run you off…’ That was the only ‘competancy’ scheme’ they needed..

😆

Ray Shields
    Participant

So,
    No one in the ROV industry has a qualification recognising the ROV trade (if you could call it a trade) or their position in it???

Basically correct. As ROV itself is not a recognised trade. Within ROV you can be a qualified electrical engineer, hydraulic engineer, you can get a qualification that says you are a manager or a supervisor etc. but for the ROV bit itself there is no specific qualification.

Training schools and companies that run their own schemes tend to issue bits of paper that state that you have met the requirements of the IMCA Guidelines which is the only "competency" list done for ROV. But as it says these are "guidelines" written by a trade association (which is all IMCA is).

Or you do as has been done for the last 30 years in the offshore industry – you go by word of mouth and reputation. This is probably how 90% of experienced ROV guys get their work.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Or you do as has been done for the last 30 years in the offshore industry – you go by word of mouth and reputation. This is probably how 90% of experienced ROV guys get their work.

Which has worked very well.
    I’ve been kicking around in this game for years however I am one of those that will always listen to a good idea and implement it should it appear to be viable production or cost wise.

So, as you can see, I am all for bringing in new systems that improve or modernise a working environment but I fail to see this grading scheme (which is all it is) achieving either of those goals.

Experience should be based on their respective chosen trade. As Ray correctly says… ROV is not a trade and that is why it is proving so hard to grade people on it.

ROV’s are systems. You need a team off skilled people proficient at different technical trades to keep them running coupled with experience in flying the things. Use the Jack of all trades approach and it results in masters of none, and a screwed system.

I think the competency scheme is flawed and whom ever is behind it need to go back to the drawing board.

rovpilot
    Participant

Interesting,
    So if someone wanted to improve their knowledge of say hydraulics or electronics, i would be far better heading of to a tech college doing a nightclass and coming out with an SVQ? Rather than running down to some of these ROV training centres that charge a fortune and come out with nothing.
    At least an NVQ/SVQ is recognised

Ray Shields
    Participant

Interesting,
    So if someone wanted to improve their knowledge of say hydraulics or electronics, i would be far better heading of to a tech college doing a nightclass and coming out with an SVQ? Rather than running down to some of these ROV training centres that charge a fortune and come out with nothing.
    At least an NVQ/SVQ is recognised

Oh hell yeah! ROV Training Schools are there (should be there!) to give people who ALREADY have the appropriate technical qualifications and experience background knowledge and introduction to the ROV industry.

If you complete an ROV training school course, this MAy help towards getting a job in ROVs. Getting an NVQ/SVQ/C&G or equivalent will ALSO help you towards getting a job in ROVs PLUS any other technical job outside.

So makes more sense to get NVQs etc.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar