Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Work Permits

Work Permits

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Work Permits

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    vikram
    Participant

Hey,
    I’ve noticed on their websites that some companies say that a candidate must have a valid work permit for the specified region. Subsea7 for example, doesn’t let you proceed with an application via their website, unless you have a permit to work in the UK (even for a staff position).
    It has been my understanding that after the selection is complete, the company that chooses to employ would provide the required permits. How else would someone obtain a permit?
    I think I am missing something here.
    Also some job adverts from oilcareers.com specify that to apply, you must have a permit or be a citizen of that country. Does this mean that foreign nationals cannot apply?
    Thanks guys,
    Cheers

Ray Shields
    Participant

Hey,
    I’ve noticed on their websites that some companies say that a candidate must have a valid work permit for the specified region. Subsea7 for example, doesn’t let you proceed with an application via their website, unless you have a permit to work in the UK (even for a staff position).
    It has been my understanding that after the selection is complete, the company that chooses to employ would provide the required permits. How else would someone obtain a permit?
    I think I am missing something here.
    Also some job adverts from oilcareers.com specify that to apply, you must have a permit or be a citizen of that country. Does this mean that foreign nationals cannot apply?
    Thanks guys,
    Cheers

It would be pointless a company offering you employment only to find that you cannot get a work permit, they would then be stuck with you and unable to get you work in their country.

Look at it this way – would you employ someone without a driving license as a driver in the hope they could then pass a driving test?

Here in the UK employers will be heavily fined if they employ someone here who does not have a valid permit to work in the UK.

vikram
    Participant

Hmm.. makes sense.

But then does that mean that a candidate has to get a work permit for that country on his own before applying?

Ray Shields
    Participant

Hmm.. makes sense.

But then does that mean that a candidate has to get a work permit for that country on his own before applying?

I suppose it depends.

If the company desperatly wanted you I’m sure they would assist in getting the permit.

If you are desperate for a job in that country then you have incentive to do it yourself!

I suppose sometimes companies can give a job offer on the condition that you are able to get a work permit. That way they are not tied if you don’t.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Vikramm,

Please do not get a visa on your own. As you will be:

– setting a precedent for other unethical ideas for other companies that don’t give a flying fart about you.

– possibly setting yourself up for a fall if by chance, you get the wrong type of visa (note – many offices have got it wrong before…)

– and (most likely) not going to get paid for your: time, effort, and your own insurance company pay out in the (unfortunate) event of your having an accident along the way.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Get your own Visa and you’ll be applying for your own air ticket next!
    I strongly suggest you steer clear of the idea.

vikram
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback. I was trying to understand how this works.

The reason why I asked is this –

The only major ROV company in India is OI and I’m sure you guys have read the posts regarding their unreasonable monetary requirements. So to stay clear of them, means to target companies outside India.

As Rayshields advised much earlier, I have a better chance of getting started closer to home. I have since been applying mainly in the M.E. and Singapore BUT I don’t have work permits for either.

I should still be applying right? OR is there another way to go about it? Ultimately wherever I have to move, can I assume that the concerned company will handle the permit?

James McLauchlan
    Participant

You keep applying, emailing, calling etc.

When you are offered work the company should instruct an agent to handle the visa application and booking of flights. Some companies will ask you to apply for a visa in your own country, for work in another country. This is not an unusual practice. You can do this and claim costs back on expenses.

Normally a letter of sponsorship would need to be sent to you to assist in the visa application at your local embassy. On other occasions you fly in on a tourist visa and it will be converted by the local agent, or you fly in and are met by an agent who has you processed through immigration as signing onto a ship.

All of the above is accepted practice. What is not accepted practice is paying for your own flight. Never do that because, if a job is cancelled at the last moment, you may not get your money back! If you are offered work then that company should arrange all travel and cover the costs incurred by their appointed agent.

Also, all accommodation and food (on land or anywhere else) should be paid by the company. Say you live in south India and have to fly up to Mumbai during the day, but the next onward flight is early the next morning. The company should arrange hotel accommodation to their account not yours.

best regards
    James Mc

vikram
    Participant

Thanks!

Exactly what I was looking for. 😀

James McLauchlan
    Participant

The visa and travel advice has now been added to the FAQ section.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar