Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Working in Norway – Not all it may seem?

Working in Norway – Not all it may seem?

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Working in Norway – Not all it may seem?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    James McLauchlan
    Participant

Norway.
    One of the safest operating areas I can think of, but it’s also one of the most expensive from a recreational and tax point of view.

Those day rates being offered may well be all well and good, but be fully aware of the big cut the Noggie tax system will extract from your hard earned cash.

If you don’t know anything about it, do some research before you say yes to the call for work in that part of the world.

Ray Shields
    Participant

I did my first 8 years offshore working mainly in Norway.

I know everyone goes on about it being highly taxed, but for 2 years when I did almost all of my work in the Norwegian sector, the tax worked out at 28% after you take into account the foreigners allowance of 15% and the seafarers allowance of NOK 70,000.

I understand that if you are able to claim UK Seafarers FED then you do not want to be paying anythng to Norway. However, if you are a UK 40% taxpayer who is unable to claim their tax back, doing part of your year in Norway can work out cheaper as you reduce the amount you will get taxed at 40% in the UK as it works out less than that in Norway.

It seems if you do 1 or 2 short jobs a year in the Norwegian sector then % wise it looks expensive, but the more you do the less it seems.

Oh, also be aware that your Nationality also makes a difference in how much tax you pay. Norway has different tax agreements, say, with the UK than with USA. So the rules can be different (e.g. one Nationality may work say 10 days a year in Norway without paying any tax where asanother has to pay for every day etc.)

I get annoyed when different companies interpret the rules different ways, some say if you are on a vessel which is chartered on an oil/gas contract and the boat is in the Norwegian sector – you are liable Norwegian Tax, no matter what it is doing. Others say when the boat is alongside or in transit, you don’t. And you could never get COFTA (Central Office Foreign Tax Affairs) to give you a straight answer!

Of course cigarettes, alcohol and just about everything else there is expensive. But the women more than make up for that 🙂

when I was working there last year on an O+G job, I was alongside for 20 days for weather.
    I never paid any tax on the days alongside as I was told by the payroll that I was not liable.
    Yes it was an expensive trip 😀

DJansen
    Participant

Working offshore and still pay tax ? 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 🙄

not much choice when working in norway 😕

Ray Shields
    Participant

Working offshore and still pay tax ? 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 🙄

There are more people working offshore and paying tax than not. It is a common misconception that most people pay no tax. There are also people who should be paying tax and evade it.

And as Mind said, you cannot legally not pay any tax in Norway, all you can do is take steps to reduce it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar