Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner 101 Questions..Salary, conditions, prospects etc etc

101 Questions..Salary, conditions, prospects etc etc

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner 101 Questions..Salary, conditions, prospects etc etc

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Craig
    Participant

Hello, newbie here, be gentle.

If you had a £70k pa salary for working a Mon-Fri 8-4 in a FT salaried basis onshore getting home to the wife and kids every night, would you look at chucking all that in and starting afresh as a Trainee ROV pilot/tech? It may seem like a strange question, but £70k is at the top of my payscale and for the next 40yrs or so all I expect to get in future would be inflationary based pay awards. In other words, there’s no future career progression (Unless I went up the management corporate white collar route, but not something i’ll ever want to do)

£70k PAYE salary works out around £3,775pm take home after normal taxation and a 6% SS pension contribution from myself (£350) and a matched 6% from my employer (£350)

Okay, now that’s over, I know starting afresh as a trainee, my salary will literally be cut in half on a PAYE basis until I establish myself and rise up through the ranks, that’s fine, I’m prepared to do that for a better end goal and salary in the long run, so here’s a list of questions…..

1) I have been told the company have a 5/5 rotation and have vessels all over the world including Africa, none in the North Sea though. Is the employee given the choice to work in high risk areas such as Africa or is it expected of a trainee starting out to do as your told and go anywhere they wish to send you?

2) If a 5/5 rotation, say based in Singapore, is it truly 5 weeks on 5 weeks off or is the 2 days spent travelling there and the 2 days spent coming back from your 5wk off time? Also, is travelling time to these locations counted as offshore day rate or onshore day rate?

3) What are the conditions like on these big vessels, are they infested with rats, lice and bedbugs or are they new, well equipped vessels with single man rooms, en-suite, WIFI, gym, recreation areas, pool tables etc etc? In other words is it 2013 standards or 1980 standards?

4) What is the job like, how does the 12hr day pass, is it high intensity never get 5mins or is there a lot of breaks, tea breaks, waiting around etc?

5) How long before a trainee works his way up the ranks to Superintendent level? 4-5yrs for someone that’s switched on and not a clusterfuck?

6) From a PAYE salaried point of view, what are Pilot Techs earning, what are Supervisors/Superintendents earning?

Next set of questions goes to those that are self employed/LTD company and of course this is where the ROV industry is appealing with some day rates on offer £500-£800 per day and tax fiddling to keep a great whack of gross salary.

7) The guys that are working one contract to the next, do they find it hard to continue to find jobs month in month out, year in year out? 30 days at a £500 day rate will net £15000 Gross and then you take a month off to recuperate at home and that £15000 Gross is effectively for 2 months so (£7.5k per month). Is it easy enough to continue to find contracts?

8 ) Take the above as an example, how much of this £15k gross could you expect to keep after LTD company taxes and whatever you need to pay, insurance, accountant etc are taken off?

9) Are the LTD company guys routinely getting 182 days every year at £500+ per day rates

10) Am i mad for considering a career move to earn extra pennies or is it a brave bold ambitious move in order to earn more money in the long run?
    With a £70k gross income at the moment I am effectively seeing 12 x £3,775 + 12 x £700 in pension so a package of £53.700/£70,000 (76.7% of salary)

Okay, not really 101 questions, but still, some questions that have been going through my mind. I really need some advice on this guys, throwing away a £70k salary to start out in this industry in the hope that I’ll be earning a 6 figure salary within the next 5yrs, what would you do, is it an industry to get into when I already have a highly paid secure onshore role?

Perhaps getting home every night, being home for Birthdays, Christmases, weddings, parties, kids starting school etc is more important than earning more money, I don’t know.

Thanks for listening.

michael kilby
    Participant

Instead of asking how much you could earn, try asking yourself it you would be able to

1 do the job, including being away from home for 6 months of the year working when and where the company sends you

2 get offered a start

3 give up your comfy 70k a year job to take 4 years or so at least to get back to that level of money as an employee

John Bridgett
    Participant

I would stay put, consider working outside, all night, -20 deg C, be sprayed with sea water and compare that to a comfy warm bed. No brainer.

Ray Shields
    Participant

You would be mad to give up your current job

mctintin
    Participant

1) Pretty much go where you are told, within reason or you will sit at home – few companies give salaried positions to trainees. So you will generally be on a day rate contract.

2) 5on 5off = 5 weeks on the boat, travelling out of your own time, so basically 5.5 / 4.5

3) Standards depend on the boats. Most newer boats 2 man cabins, especially as a trainee. You have it on your own for for the time your off shift.

4) yes on both counts. depends on weather, worksite type of job etc

5) Depends on the companies, if they have a set training system in place. for instance. Pilot Tech after 1 year, Sub Eng after 2-3 years, Supervisor if you are really good 4-5. Superintendent maybe 8+years

6) As i said, you may not get a salary

7) That depends on experience and if you are any good

10) You would be mad.

What sort of job are you currently doing to get paid £70k?

Craig
    Participant

I have been for an interview and think it went well, I will find out in the next week or two if I have been successful. The position is salaried and has a career path ladder and it was the potential I was looking at rather than the financial pitfalls to begin with. Where do I see myself in 5yrs time kind of thing.

I am from an aviation background (Aircraft engineer)

It does seen like a low paid offshore role to begin with for sure, to be in with a chance you need to already have an engineering/tech background in hydraulics/mechanics/electronics but yet the starting salary is lower than that of a non skilled general labourer on a drilling platform. My brother has just got a start with transocean as a roustabout on a 3/3 in the North Sea and his starting salary is £41k basic. He was a delivery driver before his transition into the oil and gas industry. It does seem a little bizarre that in the ROV sector, you need to already be experienced in a particular field, you’re expected to be away from home for considerably longer but yet the starting salary is considerably lower. Saying all that, day rates of £500-£750 once established are certainly attractive.

Cheers for your input though guys, much appreciated. Still thinking long and hard, take the hit now to reap the rewards in future or carry on with my back home every night routine.

Kiwitech
    Participant

70K and you get to be home with your lived ones every night, you must be mad to consider giving that up.

I’m earning less than that in NZD, home most nights and have a life, pets and hobbies etc. Moneys not the be all and end all funnily enough.

ROVSKI
    Participant

ROV wages are a race to the bottom. Stick to where you are. Sleep in your own bed and see your kids grow up. The stress it puts on a marriage not used to long separations might end up costing you everything your working for.

bluemagi
    Participant

1) You are always given a choice whether you agree to work in that particular region of the world or not. Remember, no work no money

2) 5 weeks on vessel for sure. 5 weeks off might be subjective. Do not expect everything to go on schedule when you are in the offshore world. Traveling time is usually paid for full day rate, unless you are working for certain companies who specifically say 50% or 40% during travel

3) Standards of vessel/rig varies from projects to projects. Basic living conditions can be expected but don’t expect the best. You eat and shit for what you get

4) Job hours varies but definitely you are expected to be available anytime during the 12 hour shift you are on. Sometimes, you could standby for few days in the room whereas other times you are working non stop for 72 hours when system is on downtime. During a normal day of 12 hours, I will say is about 2 hours of maintenance, 2 hours of meal/coffee breaks, rest of time operations or sitting around doing your own things

5) Depends on companies and your capabilities. Some people become superintendents after 5 years while some took 10 to 20 years to become one. Also, superintendent is a recognized position and given, not something you ask for. Becoming a superintendent with 1 company might only make you a supervisor or even technician with another

6) I will leave this out as I am not in a position to comment from where the region i come from. Check out the pay rates section in this forum, they give you a rough gauge of current market rates

7) Once your capability is recognized in the CV, non stop mails and calls will be looking for you. Be expected to work 6 to 8 months per year if you are willing to

8) I don’t pay tax when working offshore

9) Yes, from what I heard

10) You are mad considering what position and salary you are commanding now. Some people working 8 months a year offshore do not even get £70k per year. Also, consider your age as well. Do not expect to be a easy job just piloting when offshore. Both techs and supv are expected to know how to fix the system, rather than fly it

Ray Shields
    Participant

Saying all that, day rates of £500-£750 once established are certainly attractive.

Course it does, it is also unrealistic.

Even people with several years experience rarely get that dayrate, there are 1 or 2 places that if you are lucky you might get that, but generally the pay is less than that, ROVs seems to be the bottom of the pit when it comes to offshore money.

Jens Harris
    Participant

Perhaps getting home every night, being home for Birthdays, Christmases, weddings, parties, kids starting school etc is more important than earning more money, I don’t know.

Well, I would say that being home is WAY more important than doing this. I guess you have to ask yourself why you want to change career. Is your current job shit? Maybe we can do a job swap? I would be more than happy to take your £70000 and see my girlfriend and dog every night rather than be in the middle of this cock fest with £30000.

You’re mad for even going to the interview. The grass, in this case, is definitely not greener.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar