Home Forums General General Board 20,000 USD ROV Training set up in the Philippines

20,000 USD ROV Training set up in the Philippines

Home Forums General General Board 20,000 USD ROV Training set up in the Philippines

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    deepseacon
    Participant

20,000 USD ROV Training

Now there is no words which can explain Cost and Quality and time of Training in these times I agree with Training but there is no need for a 20,000 USD Course

Thoughts on this below comments I know there will be some for sure Quality ones!!!!!!!
    http://www.deltarov.com/Training.html

Delta ROV Training Scheme 20,000 USD

I don’t know what Planet you are on Etinene but for sure I would say if you need work go back to work your self running that at this time and competing against Subic is a daft idea really.

Delta ROV owns a Mohican a very small Eye Ball ROV.

By the way while I don’t agree with it there is a course for 6,000 USD at Subic for the guys with maybe less money to throw away.
    http://www.subnetservices.com/training/courses/rov/rov-course-list

And just too add something in most sectors its difficult for all levels of experience to get work as a contractor just now with experience.

There will always be a need for Trainees but 20,000 USD now I personnel would say find another way to get what is required to work in this industry.

Roy Simson
    Participant

I know how you feel deepseacon and I did bring this to the attention of Etinene on the original topic http://www.rovworld.com/ftopict-8442.html regarding Buying advertisement on ROVworld , Unfortunately the topic was locked .

Lets forget for the minute the current recession and the thousands of experienced guys who have been out of work for well over a year due to No Work !

First of all is it mandatory to do a Rov course " NO " , I do fully understand that times are hard however to train people for a occupation where there is very little requirement and charge them $20.000 USD = £13.800 GBP is to me a scam unless after there 90 day course you can guarantee them employment .

But $20.000 USD is a load of money for very little , Over the years I have hired many guys and none of them had done a course but they had experience on hydraulics and electronics plus they had a current medical and Survival certs .

But $20.000 USD is serious money we are talking about here and I can think of far better things to do with it . When this current recession is over there maybe Trainee requirements to replace all the guys who have left the industry but that is no going to happen for some time .

Etienne Demers
    Participant

Dear Deepseacon,

This training program is fairly priced as it is for 3 months and has a lot of inclusions. If you want to compare cost of training then look for a program of equal length. It costs a lot of money to do things right…

Everyone complains about what is learned in most ROV training programs as it is mostly an introduction to ROVs and they do not go in depth on anything. This training program will take the student to board level and they will leave with advanced knowledge of a very popular ROV system.

I myself have worked and trained several ROV P/T offshore that attended ROV courses and I have yet to meet one who gained useful knowledge. They admitted it to be a total waste of time as most of them are taught by instructors that do not have much experience offshore.

The Mohican is a very popular ROV and bigger than most systems utilized in training courses. Because Sub-Atlantic uses the same boards throughout their models, this will give anyone who attends sufficient knowledge and experience to qualify for all of them.

That the industry is suffering right now is a fact, but this does not mean that their is no place for ROV trainees, it means that it is becoming a lot harder and more competitive. So people who want a chance to get employed better choose a program that will give them an edge over the others.

I worked as personnel manager and I hired a lot of people during that period and went through a lot of CVs. I know how to make potential candidates stand out from the crowd and this is exactly what this training program is set out to be.

I myself paid 20K USD for a 3 month commercial diving course back in 2000 and that investment paid off for me because I learned from active diving professionals.

If someone is serious about really learning this trade, then 3 month is a minimum. The costs associated with this length complete with all the certifications offered (including a Sub-Atlantic manufacturer’s course) is reasonable.

Being that this forum is anonymous, I have no clue who you are, but I am sure that you have realized that this industry is lived very differently by everyone. For example, 2015 has been a very difficult year for most people, but for me, it was my most lucrative year to date… I had to refuse work and my day rate has been the highest in my career.
    Now you have the right to an opinion but this forum has become a total wasteland because of people that write posts like yours; aggressive and rarely constructive.

I also suggest that if you wish to question my judgement, first, you PM me and get your facts straight.

Regards

Etienne Demers
    Participant

Raptor,

The last thread was locked by the admin as going off topic.

I knew posting an ad on here was a bit of a risk due to the amount of anonymous ROV trolls that like to "share" their opinion, but if you are going to start calling my program a scam we are going to have a problem.

From the way most of you guys respond on this forums I very much doubt that you have potential ROV students’ best interest in mind. I invite anyone to read the posts I’ve written over the years to see how I try and participate positively to make this forum a better place to share knowledge, experiences, etc.

This industry is unfortunately filled with petty individuals with a chip on their shoulders. Dealing with people like this is by far the hardest challenge of this industry.

I do not know of any training program that promises employment. That said, I know a lot of operation managers personally and I am sure some will be interested to hear from a batch of students that I personally trained. We will provide the right tools to get an edge over other P/T 2 but everyone’s future is in their own hands.

Regards,

deepseacon
    Participant

If you think a 20,000 USD training course is a good idea again that’s your plan.

That’s the way it is its not Personal you need to accept in any industry and each trade has a gossip forum to inform people.

20,000 USD training now from my point of view is a daft idea and I can back that up with as many facts for reasons for and against and let the user decide that’s there choice unbiased comments.

My comments have been positive for some training centres and negative say for FW Premium course its what it is.

Now I might start another thread and list all training course’s and prices together with courses and reasons for etc and includes yours possible the 20,000 USD on exchange rate is the most expensive so that is also the facts.

let the people decide my opinion has always in life being get the most certs the best ones cheapest way in least time.

I paid 3500 GBP for my HSE Commercial Air Diving course and it was the best course I have ever done around 7-9 weeks I forget now.

ROV Pilot 1 and 2
    I paid 2700 GBP and it was you could say minimum standard and all courses for the standard minimum cert is still the same today my course was rubbish but I needed it I enjoyed it because of I knew what was ahead but it was very basic.

Would I advice doing a course yes it helps you need at least starting point to start the system of being a ROV Trainee.

But spending 930,000 Peso is not a good idea

And coming to your workshop face to face would not change that either.

I don’t agree with the cost’s

Now Subic used to sell lots of course and there loads of Filipinos already have these certs why don’t you employ one or two of these for your rebuild and teach them skills moving forward they already have many documents already.

Etienne Demers
    Participant

Deepseacon,

Allow me to explain what managers look for in new hires:

A person needs to have more than just a trade certificate, BOSIET, a medical and an ROV course.

To go offshore, you need several HSE courses and HV awareness. Also, more and more companies want IMIST. These are all costs that hiring companies have to consider before deciding who to hire at an entry level.

Furthermore in today’s market, without experience, students have practically no chance of employment. This is why this training program is in conjunction with a system refit and FATs.

When a manager looks at a CV, he looks first at the trade, then he looks to see if a candidate has experience on his type of ROV, if not, the brand. If the candidate has a manufacturer’s course, he is definitely on top of the list.

All these additional courses, not typically offered in traditional ROV courses, will be outsourced. That, including the cost of mob/demob for the practical sessions, costs a lot of money and directly impacts the price of the training program. On top of this, the training program offers lodging and transport for the full 3 months.

My bottom line is less profitable than if I offered basic ROV introduction, but the idea is to get people trained right and as marketable as possible. In my opinion, I would do them a disservice if offered anything less in this competitive market. Students will get much better chances if trained with us as they will be 100% offshore ready and useful.

By the way, I can hire someone locally for 500PHP a day that would be as useful to me as someone who did an ROV intro.

Your opinion might be unbiased, but it is far from being researched.

Roy Simson
    Participant

Sorry but spending $20.000 USD its not a good investment due to the current recession , $20.000 USD is a very large amount of money and not much to show for it, There are many people looking for a new start in life but Rov work is a non runner . If people want to invest in courses they should do electronics or hydraulics that can be used in other industry’s ,
    Ok they get a nice little certificate but with a family to support and a mortgage to pay thats not going to be much help .

We all have to make a living this I understand but to run courses for trade that is dead makes no sense and the only person who will benefit is you . I receive many emails from experienced guys who have been out of work for over 18 months and they cannot find work so a trainee has got no chance .Unless you can guarantee employment after the course its a total non runner.

My full details are on my profile I see no reason to move this to PM stage as for my experience level I have been in this industry 40 Years plus , When this current recession is finished there maybe trainee requirements but thats a long way off yet .

PETER QUINN
    Participant

Sorry but spending $20.000 USD its not a good investment due to the current recession , $20.000 USD is a very large amount of money and not much to show for it, There are many people looking for a new start in life but Rov work is a non runner . If people want to invest in courses they should do electronics or hydraulics that can be used in other industry's ,
    Ok they get a nice little certificate but with a family to support and a mortgage to pay thats not going to be much help .

We all have to make a living this I understand but to run courses for trade that is dead makes no sense and the only person who will benefit is you . I receive many emails from experienced guys who have been out of work for over 18 months and they cannot find work so a trainee has got no chance .Unless you can guarantee employment after the course its a total non runner.

My full details are on my profile I see no reason to move this to PM stage as for my experience level I have been in this industry 40 Years plus , When this current recession is finished there maybe trainee requirements but thats a long way off yet .

More than well put Raptor.
    More like 24 months or so…for the very experienced and the kin thereof, among’st others.

Yet again some of these outfits will try and hook monies out of people.
    Do I read the likes of another scheme on the table or what?

Too good to be true at that price and probably is not at the end of the day.

Safety First + Work Second.
    🙄 😉 🙄

Amanda
    Participant

Please review the rules, here http://www.rovworld.com/ftopict-626.html regarding both remaining on topic and upkeeping respect. Remember to respect the opinions of others. If you do not agree with something, you are free to voice your opinion. Please do not post accusations and personal attacks that misguide the conversation.
    Thank you.

liddelljohn
    Participant

personally i find much what Chewy claims , hard to believe in current climate ,, i know dozens of top class experienced ROV people some who have been in the industry far longer than me all across the world who have struggled for work over last 18 months ,, may be he is blessed or maybe he is full of it ,, but when 99% of the industry is in the doldrums he may be the mythical gold at the end of the rainbow .
    I have work at present and had some work last year but looking around ports and depotsone can see dozens of vessels and ROVs in mothballs ,and no one is certain when the good times will return .rates are crap in general , agencies and employer going bust or consolidating ,,, I wish .you luck chewy some business people do have a theory that starting a business ina depression is the best time as if you can survive that you will do well.

Roy Simson
    Participant

I dont see where any body has broken any site rules ! The facts are 100 % correct . However the facts speak for them self there are very few requirements for Rov personnel this being the case there is very little point in doing a Rov training course since after the training course your just going to join the other thousands of guys sitting on the beach .

All I see is a rov company in the Philippines that due to the down turn in the industry has little work and is now attempting to start up a rov school . We are not talking about a small amount of money here its $20.000 USD not far off £14.000 GBP . Thats a very large amount of money that could pay off some of your mortgage or send your kids to school.

deepseacon
    Participant

Well just got a mail out from Fort William today

It would appear they are feeling generous save 4000 GBP of there Premium ROV Course.

http://www.theunderwatercentre.com/fort-william/rov-training/rov-courses/c_3/premium-rov/

Now I know this Business along time from my diving days and it has always been more expensive than most I can not believe its for any other reason than not enough people coming through the door with the extra cash from the standard course.

Now I am sure they still have a lot of inquiry’s and people going there but they Ain’t offering as many courses as before !!!!!!!!

There premium course I thought it went up to nearly 14,000 GBP 2 years ago it would appear now it can be sold for

9,177 GBP so it would appear that something is wrong at FW the No1 ROV training school on numbers and use of equipment in UK.

So UK based Fort William offering a bargain it would seam 9,177 GBP = 13,200USD
    7 weeks working with a number of certs and work Class ROV experience after.

MTCS ROV course is sold for 3000 GBP ROV Pilot 2

That’s common knowledge anyone who wants to do ROV will have come across that course from a quick Google 4300 USD approx. done in several places around like Singapore England and Egypt and any where you want to pay the fees.

Roy Simson
    Participant

Hi Deepseacon thanks for confirming the 7 week Fort-William they even include a T4 training course , But until the industry picks up it wont matter what course you do . I am a strong believer in in house training programs as most people still have to provide all there other certs an medicals and every year the list of required certs seems to go up .

7 week course at Fort-William combines the skills and training taught in there 3 week ROV Pilot Technician Course with extensive training in

ROV-contextual electronics
    High Voltage and Electrical Safety
    Titan 4 Manipulator Training
    Fibre Optics – Systems, Integration and with Testing, with option of additional OTDR* training
    Working at Height
    Experience using our VMAX Triton XL Simulator.

*One day additional OTDR training will incur additional costs

So, as well as the live, industry relevant flying experience and flight support skills you get on the ROV Pilot Technician Course, you’ll also gain the practical electronics skills and qualifications you’ll need to get your foot in the door of the ROV industry, along with important industry-specific experience and training.

ROV employers require personnel who can maintain and repair the ROV quickly and efficiently, as well as having the operational competencies needed to carry out the job; it can be quite a pressurised role.

The completion of this course will help develop your competency and includes the elements of the basic ROV syllabus in compliance with the requirements of the IMCA competence scheme for ROV personnel.

Next course starting 11th July: SAVE 30% and pay £9177 inc VAT (normally £13110 inc VAT) thereafter £9286 inc VAT for rest of year . http://www.theunderwatercentre.com

I hope this topic will propagate via the web and show up on a search under Rov training but until this current recession is over spending any money on a rov training course in my opinion is a total waste of money .

rov_er
    Participant

Hi Chewy,

what are the entry requirements to attend the course that Delta ROV is offering?
    In the FAQ’s, it is mentioned that trade qualifications are requested to get hired in the offshore industry.

That said, it sounds like your company will accept candidates even if they don’t have such trades.

Am I reading it wrong?

Cheers,

rov_er

Etienne Demers
    Participant

Hello rov_er,

many thanks for taking the time to read and post a pertinent question.

We do not accept every candidate and we have an interview as part of our registration process.

Those who apply must qualify to industry minimum requirements of HNC level in a relevant discipline.

I chose not to enumerate the accepted disciplines so as to not restrict applicants for those disciplines we might forget.

I designed this program to provide the best chances for entry level candidate to get hired from my experience as a manager. Accepting the wrong candidates would be a waste of their money and reflect poorly on Delta ROV.

I hope this answers your question.

Many thanks,
    E.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar