Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Accredited ROV training facilities

Accredited ROV training facilities

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Accredited ROV training facilities

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Etienne
    Participant

Hi there to all!

I’m from South Africa and the ROV’s are new to me. I needed information and thanks to this platform, i think this is the best place to get it from! Also to find out more about the ROV world and what the latest trends are.

Thanks admin for accepting me.

I would really like to do a ROV course. Im based in Cape Town and there are a few companies offering these courses. But for me, which one is the best one to go to for this course?

If there are any other South Africans on here, can you please assist me with this? And where have you done your training? Other comments and tips with regards to this welcome ofcourse.

Regards
    Roost
    🙂 :tup:

Ray Shields
    Participant

Please note there is no such thing as an accredited ROV training school – there is simply no such qualification as ROV Pilot.

IMCA which is a Trade Organisation set up by offshore companies, have written a minimum standard for ROV Pilots. Training Schools can train to these standards, however this does not make anyone "qualified" or "certified". No-one can be IMCA certified, IMCA have constantly chased some schools who try and say people are IMCA certified, IMCA do not certify anyone.

ROVs are pieces of equipment, you have to know how to maintain and repair this equipment which is just a bunch of electrics, electronics and hydraulics. This is why companies look for technically qualified and experienced people who can maintain and repair technical equipment.

You do not learn about ROVs until you get a job in ROVs…

Etienne
    Participant

Thank you so much Ray, that clears that up for me! :tup:

What else should one look out for in traing facilities, anyone? Guess there are also scamers out there?!! 😡

Paul Horat
    Participant

Howzit Roost, greetings from Benoni. Just wondering if you got any further with your SA enquiries, as I am looking around at local options too.

William
    Participant

Hi Roost/Bullfish,

AFAIK there are two companies doing an ROV course in Cape Town:

– Ezze Marine in Killarney Gardens
    – Marine Solutions in Paarden Island

They both cost about +/- R 50 000-00 (check with them to confirm latest prices)

A buddy of mine done his ROV course with Ezze marine & was happy with the training supplied. I can’t comment on Marine Solutions.

Best bet is to physically go visit both companies & speak to the trainers, look at the facilities etc (then make your decision from there if you still keen).

I completed my course @ MTCS in Singapore (my company sent me), but as you’ll find out if you read previous posts on the subject, the ROV course is a "nice to have" & will not guarantee a job in the industry.

Cheers

Paul Horat
    Participant

Thanks Enigma, appreciated. Costly entry fee considering no guarantee of entry. Looks like I will have to find another way in, I’m thinking of rope access, NDT, and from there on to ROV.
    Enjoy!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar