Home Forums ROV Self/Home Build ROV Discussions Acoustic Tracking Systems.

Acoustic Tracking Systems.

Home Forums ROV Self/Home Build ROV Discussions Acoustic Tracking Systems.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ron Peters
    Participant

I am designing and building an ROV that will be used for scientific expeditions in July 2012. I have most of the components for the unit. The only thing I am lacking is a tracking/locating system for the ROV while it is in the water. I am assuming that a USBL system would work nicely, but the cost is currently prohibative.

Does anyone have any ideas for a system that might work and would be reasonably affordable? Or perhaps someone has an idea for a homebuilt system.

yossri
    Participant

hi… i just want to ask to u know how to make a tracking for the rov ? plz help i neeed it in my project

Ray Shields
    Participant

Dravon,

realistically it is way outwith any home made way of doing such a thing easily.

The best you could manage would be to use a transmitting transducer on the ROV and receiving transducer on the surface. Send a pulse down the umbilical to the ROV, transmit it through the transmitting transducer through the water and measure the time between transmitting the pulse and receiving it on the surface. By using an average speed of sound in water of approximately 1480 metres a second in water, you can calculate the distance from where you are on the surface and the ROV. By knowing the depth of water the ROV is working you can then calculate the horizontal distance the ROV is away from you.

Good luck with that 😀

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Something like this is about the most cost effective option you’ll get for a small vehicle. There are other lightweight options. Just Google and they’ll come up.

Easytrak Alpha & Alpha Portable

More at:
    http://www.appliedacoustics.com/easytrak-usbl-systems/easytrak-alpha-alpha-portable

Alternately, you could always rent a USBL system for the duration of your expedition. That’ll cut down on capital outlay for sure.

yossri
    Participant

thx for replaying im really appreciate that.but do u know a way how to transmit a signal underwater by wireless way im making wireless rov control …do u know how i can do that thx again .

Ray Shields
    Participant

As far as I am aware you cannot use a wireless signal once the ROV is under the water. You would need to use an acoustic signal or have a hard wire control going to it.

One possible way would be to have an antenna with a wire trailing from the ROV so that the antenna remains out of the water floating on the surface that way you could use radio control?

Savante
    Participant

You might try wireless fibre solutions in livingston, scotland.

yossri
    Participant

my idea is to make something like a moving Flipper with motors that i can control it by my pc through rf transmission …. and that flipper has a ultrasound signal transmitter,so i can sending data from pc and sending it to the transmitter to the rov , and the signal goes underwater with high amplification to the rov …….. what do u think all about that thx for helping , im really grateful .

Bouarf
    Participant

Hello,
    How can we have an idea of the price of the solution USBL alpha tracking ?Or shall we contact the manufacturer to get the price ?

Ray Shields
    Participant

Suggest you click on the link and ask the supplier/manufacturer, this is only a discussion board not a shop.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar