Home Forums General General Board advice on what position to take

advice on what position to take

Home Forums General General Board advice on what position to take

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    stoddart2000
    Participant

just like to say hello to everyone im new to the site
    i have been offerd 2 jobs and am wondering which one seems like it has the most potential
    one is for an trainee equipment tech working on cable and pipe laying vessel
    150 a day start wage for an average of 5 month then goes upto 200 a day
    this is for a new company
    i have also been offerd a position as a trainee observer for a company called cgg seems like a big company, start on 26k a year then go up to 30k after 6 month which is a lot less than the equiment tech
    any advice would be great cheers

Jason Graham
    Participant

Lets face it you don’t work off shore because you love it like everyone else you do it for the money (and the tax man loves you for it )

go for the money chap

stoddart2000
    Participant

i am going to go for the higher paid one i was just wondering if anyone new what the wage diffrences between the 2 jobs were once you are qualified, thank you for your advice

truered
    Participant

Lets face it you don’t work off shore because you love it like everyone else you do it for the money (and the tax man loves you for it )

no sense in being stuck in a job that you’ll end up hating. Have look at the time off, any perks offered eg free health insurance pensions etc… do a background check on the company.

look at the industry, both will suffer problems at sometime in the future, my moneys on the oil and gas staying bouyant for a while yet.

also who will offer the quicker route to higher money?

if your looking to getting started then choices could minimal, you may have to gut it with lower pay and poor conditions for a while just to get up the experience

all the best

temp
    Participant

stoddart2000

It’s not as if you are just comparing the same job with 2 different companies.

The idea of simply going for what is at present the best paying job may not be the most wise way to go about things that could significantly affect your future.

It really depends on your requirements – whether they be just short term financial gain for a few years, or more long term career development, job satisfaction, future promotion prospects, likely future earnings after training i.e. long-term earnings potential, what training you might get, guaranteed salary versus day-rate contract etc., potential within a company to do other types of work etc.

Cable lay and seismic are obviously 2 different sectors, but both can be affected by economic fluctuations that affect the industry as a whole.

Do you want to be mainly a tech, or a data-recorder with some tech work? What transferrable skills would you get from each of the jobs for when/if you want a change in the future?

It’s not usually just about the money. Job satisfaction AND good money is good if you can get it, but sometimes you have to trade off certain aspects of a job against others.
    Good luck with your choice – it’s nice to have the option.

temp

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar