Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner An Alternative

An Alternative

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner An Alternative

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    brad
    Participant

I am in the early stages of trying to find work as an ROV pilot / technician trainee, however I am aware that these positions can be difficult to come by and that knowing somebody in the industry can be a massive benefit. So I am thinking to improve my chances of becoming an ROV pilot I should apply for an alternative offshore job also, this way if I get the ROV position perfect, if I get the other job I can meet and become friends with the ROV teams and hopefully this could become my route. So can anyone give me some ideas for alternative jobs?
    I am 30 years old, a qualified electrician and have worked in electrical contracting for 13 years 4 of which as a contracts manager and AutoCAD draughtsman, I have a lot of experience of installing and programming of electronic control systems Fire Alarms, lighting, A/V, access control etc, I also have an NC Electrical / Electronic Engineering.
    Any help will be most appreciated.

Brad

Ray Shields
    Participant

The other way is to look for onshore jobs with Companies that have ROVs. Working in a workshop that services or maintains them is also a very good route as you get the experience of maintaining and repairing them as well.

As to other jobs offshore, how about an electrician, Instrument Tech? Something like that. But be aware you may end up on a rig that doesnt have an ROV or only has one on every now and then. And not all crew have influence or say in who to hire!

Get a job offshore for the money or experience but dont use it to try and meet ROV Pilots – there are places closer to home you’re more likely to find them (the nearest pub!)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar