Home Forums Safety, Survival Courses & Medicals Safety – ROV. ARE NORTHFIELD HYDRAULIC INTENSIFIERS SAFE??????

ARE NORTHFIELD HYDRAULIC INTENSIFIERS SAFE??????

Home Forums Safety, Survival Courses & Medicals Safety – ROV. ARE NORTHFIELD HYDRAULIC INTENSIFIERS SAFE??????

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    steve smart
    Participant

I have just been looking at the northfield intensifier which most of us have used, it turns out with a bit of digging that they can only be rated to 8000 psi, this is because the fittings that are used in them on the 10k side are npt.
    I just spoke with Swagelok and they have told me that this is indeed the case.
    Pretty scary when you are up at 10,000 psi when the unit is only safe at 8000 psi.
    Would have thought in this day of SAFETY FIRST this would have been checked out before now!!!!

James McLauchlan
    Participant

What does the manual say? (presumably supplied with the unit whether it was hired or not).

The reason I ask is that if the manual states Max8k psi then whether the unit is safe or not is not overly in doubt. If used to the stated pressure it should be deemed as safe.

If the manufacturers manual states pressures greater than 8kpsi then that is a safety issue and it needs addressing.
    If there is no manual, and therefore no safety instructions, then that needs addressing also.

In any case…….
    If the unit safe operating pressure has been knowingly exceeded which, by your own admission it has, then it should be taken out of service and sent back to base.

Savante
    Participant

check also if it’s actually pressure or differential pressure?

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

What does the cert say????

Ewan McKen
    Participant

Why are you standing there being scared?

Whether rated 8000 or 10000 psi it can still fail.

Keep a safe distance when it is energised.

And don’t stand under suspended loads just because you know the rating of the Sling.

Regards,
    I5

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Use whiplocks as well….

Anonymous

As the intensifier is a high pressure but low flow deivice. Should a high pressure fitting fail, only a very small small amount of oil lost would drop the pressure. I doubt whiplocks are usefull or required on the high pressure side.

But if in doubt cover the entire ROV with them…

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

As Shell or BP would have it!!! 🙄

Anonymous

A range of 10,000psi NPT fittings are available from Hydrasun. Clearly stamped with 10k on the fitting. Is there a doubt as to whether you can get high pressure NPT fittings?

iROV
    Participant

http://www.offshore-technology.com/contractors/rovs/minibooster/

As the intensifier is a high pressure but low flow deivice. Should a high pressure fitting fail, only a very small small amount of oil lost would drop the pressure. I doubt whiplocks are usefull or required on the high pressure side.

There are high flow devices on the marked!

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

iROV,

Indeed and yes for the bigger stuff / tasks…. Once again, Shell and BP tear into them….

Anonymous

Sorry..thought the thread was for the Northfield intensifier?

Anonymous

Manuals are available at http://www.n-h-s.co.uk\downloads\intensifier.pdf.

From my quick reading it would appear that there are 8000psi and 10 000psi models.

I understand the connections to be BSP and No 4 JIC however as stated in the drawing notes max working pressure on outlet hoses is 10 000 psi which to my mind does not leave any margin for error (unless there is a safety factor already built in).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar