Home Forums General General Board Assistants to ROV pilots

Assistants to ROV pilots

Home Forums General General Board Assistants to ROV pilots

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ullevi
    Participant

Sorry for the strange question, but do ROV pilots ever have untrained assistants out helping them on jobs?

I remember working on the Skandi Inspector for few days during a mobilisation and two riggers were going away with the vessel and their job was to make a generator hot and cold for the ROV guys.

Any other types of similiar jobs out there?

I’m an out of work rigger and looking for anything at the moment.

Thanks for any help 🙂

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Hmmmm 8)

me
    Participant

Try CTC they use riggers for trenchers

Ray Shields
    Participant

Making a generator hot and cold for the ROV guys?? The strangest description Ive ever heard and cannot even magine what they were doing.

The Inspector powers their ROVs from the vessel and dont need a generator, I suggest you may have misheard the job they were doing.

But in general ROV pilots "assistants" are called ROV Trainees! This does not mean that just anyone can assist them, so I think the answer to your question will be no.

subman
    Participant

Or they can be called Tether Monkeys .

Cheers

Subman

Andy Shiers
    Participant

This does not mean that just anyone can assist them, so I think the answer to your question will be no.

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Ullevi
    Participant

I’m sure their job was just to make some line hot and cold when the ROV pilot asked for it.

Anyway, no problem thanks for the replies guys!

bt
    Participant

They were most likely water jetting, where they have extra person from the supplying company normally to turn the water generator on/off, changing pressures, maintaining the system while running and also deploying and recovering the hose.

Hot and cold is just on and off pressure when cleaning.

Not sure where you would gain employment in this other than the supplying company.

Good luck , on the job front Ullevi,

oh! i for one thought it was a fair question.

bristolrover69
    Participant

Well said bt,
    I thought it was a fair question.

What do you think lostboy?

‘He looked in his bag of talent and saw that it wasn’t as full as he thought it was’!!!
    Hugs

bristolrover69
    Participant

Try Rob@subservpro.com
    01295 225000

He gets riggers work

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Okay , I’ll bite 🙂
    It’s called tongue in cheek humour 8)
    Are there assistant Pilots ? No. Just trainees.
    You have AB’s or deckhands or even FMD Techs assisting in Launch and recovery of ROV’s.
    Some of the Big Mofo Trenchers ( That need zillions of Techs to keep it working………… Like Drones 😀 ) Also have riggers to assist as they are above 2 m height where HSE restrictions needed for Rope access 🙂 The said techs have degrees coming out of the ears , no social life and get nose bleeds above 2 m height and therefore need someone of braun to do there freefalling for them 😀
    The Tongue in cheek is referring to other threads where every Tom , Dick and Albert has been "Getting into the industry" They know F’All about ROV’s therefore ……..Are Pilot assistants meaning they know Diddley Squat. Not such a bad thing if the team is large but a pain in the proverbial arse when it’s a small team on a stress job like Platform inspection. Where you need experienced pilots to share the workload.It’s not the "Assistants" fault 😕 He just wants a job ! But the Orifice Staff that hired him need to be Lynched , drawn and quartered 😈
    The Industry is flooded , and there is less experience and more Lump sum contracts instead of dayrate ones. Meaning more fingerpointing when things go wrong at the wrong people ! This also means more eager persona to fill the jobs , less pay which keeps the ROV Industry pay structure down because of less demand for said experience 🙁
    So …………. in a nut shell 😯 refer to other threads on Rovworld to see the link between this innocent question and All the others above 🙂
    I still think it’s funny 😀 But then again………………………….. That’s just me 8)

Ullevi
    Participant

Thanks for the constructive replies anyway- even you lostboy eventually 😉

Like I said, I’ve seen it in the past where riggers worked effectively as a labourer/dogs body for the ROV pilots. Just wanted to know if this was the exception or quite common.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

I’ve been on jobs where third party equipment Water jet units, grouting speads, grout bag deployment units etc) was looked after by the riggers. Plus some ROV’s are so big an hard to handle (especially cable rovs) the deck crew/riggers are sometimes employed to help with launch and recovery, so it’s not unheard of. In general terms a standard work class system needs no more than three ROV people to handle the whole show NO extra help required.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar