Home Forums General Financial, Tax and Insurance British seamans discharge book

British seamans discharge book

Home Forums General Financial, Tax and Insurance British seamans discharge book

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ullevi
    Participant

Hello all, I have recently started working on diving vessels out of Scotland and was looking for some advice regarding a seamans log book.

Am i right in thinking as long as I spend 183 days out of 356 I can claim back the tax from the previous year?

What happens with your log book- do you have to go upto the bridge and get it signed every night by a deck officer?

Who at my company will sign my application form saying I am employed on that ship? Offshore personnel dept?

Thanks for any help!

Paul Bond
    Participant

Someone in your personnel office should be able to sort you out with the form – they will probably make you pay for the book though.

Tax days are abit more complicated than just doing 183 days etc – there are probably other threads on here dealing with such info, if not, then get in touch with Seatax or SK Tax – they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Ray Shields
    Participant

There are two different types of book. One is the Seamans Card (and is Red) the other is the Seamans Discharge book (which is blue), its the blue one you need.

Normally all you need to apply is a letter from your company stating that you work onboard a particular named vessel for them, the vessel MUST be UK registered as far as I know – that may be a problem nowadays!

You will have to pay for the Discharge book yiourself unless it is a requirement by your employer that you need one.

You normally get the book signed and stamped by the vessel when you leave .

The general rules are that you must spend 183 days in any 365 day period out of the UK. You must also have one foreign port call a year as well. When you come back into the UK, half the total number of days must always be more than the number of days you have spent in the UK.

e.g. at the start of your claim period, you leave the Uk for 30 days, you come back into the UK for 30 days, you leave for 30. When you come in next time, total days =90, half=45, total in the Uk to date is 30 therefore you pass. Basically you need to know how long you will be out of the UK next time to know how long you can stay in this time.

Google "IR205(S)" and download the information from the Tax Office which includes a form where you just fill the dates in and it does the calculations for you. There are other little rules and quirks, best you find out all about them.

Read http://rovworld.com/phpnuke/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=4044&highlight=#4044 for a lot more info.

rover37
    Participant

Dont forget that the UK sector is now considered to be within the UK.
    The twelve mile limit no longer applies.
    I have not had it confirmed but my understanding is
    that a trip to the uk sector and back to a uk port would not even count towards your formula as being out of the uk.
    It would only count if a visit to a foreign port happened each trip.!!!
    Read the small print on IR205 Thats what it says.
    So in essence forget seamans tax refund if you work in the North Sea.
    As it specifically states "north sea" west of shetland may well be a different story/
    West Africa looks a better bet!!!

Ullevi
    Participant

Many thanks for the replies gents.

Rover- that’s a f’ing bummer mate! I was under the impression 12 miles rule still applied. I have only been out of Peterhead and Aberdeen so far!

Ray Shields
    Participant

I managed to claim my taxback 94-2000 inclusive. I was investigated for 2000’s claim and it was found valid. The IR205(S) notes back then read exactly the same and I did trips out of UK port, Uk sector and back in.

The whole Seafarers FED seems to be down to different peoples impressions. Even get different answers from different people at the tax office. You really need professional advice when it comes to this. 🙂

bt
    Participant

you need to speak to seatax, I work mostly north sea but still get tax back?????

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar