Home Forums General Union Information (General Discussion) Can uni0ns have international influence/membership?

Can uni0ns have international influence/membership?

Home Forums General Union Information (General Discussion) Can uni0ns have international influence/membership?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    James McLauchlan
    Participant

I think only by affiliation.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

James,

Remember the PDAA? Ned Kelly (priceless)? Well, they had an intl. setup – it worked.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Too bad these organizations can’t go international (at least not yet????). Good question – anyone have an answer to this?

James McLauchlan
    Participant

It could work… but we need to get the North Sea sorted first!
    One step at a time I guess.

Bearing in mind that I already know of two RMT members that that not UK based 😉

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

If any lad or lass that’s a member of the RMT and ARE NOT from the UK, would they be so kind as to "enlighten" us as to how they are getting on, esp. and most importantly, have you benefited from being an intl. member? Let’s get the ball rolling again….

subseascott
    Participant

Maybe a bit off topic here so apolligies if so but this may be a question best answered by Neil from the RMT anyway. If so, let me know & I’ll re-post it accordingly………..

Basically, I’ve been wandering recently what percentage of a workforce is to be be represented by a Uni0n before it is recognised by said employer? ie. 60% of all offshore ROV staff of a specific company or what is the deal?

The reason I ask is that I’m a bit unsure of what the RMT is generally looking to achieve here? Obviously better pay rates, better safety standards etc, etc, etc. But, how are we as an industry looking to achieve this? Granted, the diving industry managed to negotiate better working conditions but this is a much smaller industry with less company’s employing a lesser amount of employees than that of the ROV industry.

What position are we currently in & what are the main issues ‘we’ as an industry would we like to see addressed? Is it a case of we need eg. 500 more registrations with the RMT before any action can be taken on our behalf or or is it a case of needing 51% of all offshore ROV personnel to be represented?

As I said, I’m a bit unsure of this so my post may be a bit vague but I would generally like to know if the whole ‘join the uni0n’ drive is an endless task or how many more people are required to enable the RMT to negotiate on our behalf & how they plan on going about which specific issues??

I personally feel that if it was made slightly clearer how many more registered uni0n members were required for some action & what issues the uni0n were looking to represent ‘us’ on would help in recruiting more members.

Bristar
    Participant

Agreed, i think it would be useful to know what percentage of staff need to be uni0n members before their voice must be legally heard.

Does it have to be a percentage of all staff or can it be a percentage of ROV staff?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar