Home Forums General General Board career change from IT Telecomunications to ROV

career change from IT Telecomunications to ROV

Home Forums General General Board career change from IT Telecomunications to ROV

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Craig Cuthbertson
    Participant

Hi all,

Hopefully I can get some advice.
    I have been checking in the forum and read "Should I do an ROV Training Course? (Version 2)". Great advice.
    I am an IT telecommunications consultant with 20 years experience and looking for a new career/challenge in my life and have been interested in ROV’s, oceans, marine construction etc etc for years and feel its time for the move.
    I have priced up some training i.e. with The Underwater Centre and they do training at £5050 for a 3 week ROV Pilot Technician Course and £10,725 for Premium ROV Course. Are they any good? can you actually get a job with these courses?
    Should I take the hit and do the training course or am I best trying to get a job with someone like Fugro and train and learn through them, but I can’t see why they would take anyone with no ROV experience????

I am not sure the best road to go down. If any of you experienced guys out there could advise me then I would be very grateful.

Kind Regards

Craig 😀

Ray Shields
    Participant

Firstly, you cannot get ROV experience unless you get a job as an ROV Pilot. ROV Companies know and realise this.

They look for people who can FIX the ROV, you learn to operate it on the job.

Many companies use Training Schools to train their people, however that does not mean that you MUST do the Training Schools training to get a job. Some training schools try and equate their training to Diver training. Divers have specific qualifications and training you must have to do the job – there is no such equivalence with ROVs. There is no such thing as an ROV Qualification.

IMCA are a trade organisation made up of offshore companies, they have put together a "standard" that they feel is a minimum, this does not make it compulsory nor "qualified". If you actually look at their standard it is extremely low in my opinion.

In your case I would improve your electrical and hydraulic qualifications and knowledge to add to your IT and telecoms experience.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar