Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner CAREER OPPORTUNITY AT SONSUB SINGAPORE

CAREER OPPORTUNITY AT SONSUB SINGAPORE

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner CAREER OPPORTUNITY AT SONSUB SINGAPORE

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    JOEL RONQUILLO
    Participant

GOOD DAY TO EVERYBODY! I AM NEW TO ROV, RIGHT NOW I AM ENGAGE TO A 6 MONTHS CONTRACT AS A ROV TRAINEE HERE AT A CABLE SHIP. I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF I HAVE AN OPPRTUNITY TO BE HIRED AT SONSUB SINGAPORE IF I AM GOING TO APPLY THERE AFTER MY TRAINING PERIOD HERE AT THE CABLE SHIP????

I AM A GRADUATE OF 3 YEARS VOCATIONAL COURSE IN INDUSTRIAL TECHNOLOGY MAJOR IN ELECTRONICS TECHNOLOGY AT THE DON BOSCO TECHNICAL COLLEGE AT THE PHILIPPINES. I HAVE WORKED AT ELECTRONICS MANUFACTURING IN THE PHILIPPINES FOR ALMOST 7 YEARS. AND I TOOK UP MY ROV COURSE AT IDESS SUBIC, PHILIPPINES.

ANY ADVICE THAT ANYONE CAN GIVE TO ME WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

rigwash
    Participant

any advice you ask?

yeah take a hike.

they are overstaffed with guys like you already. well qualified but not so smart.

so your present employer is paying to train you and you plan to ditch them as soon as you have what you want. Well can’t blame you for that i spose but it’s not very smart to advertise the fact on this forum now is it. Did you ever consider your employer might be reading this and decide not to waste their money completing your training. Or that some future employer now has your name and the view that you would not be a very loyal employee and your not too sharp

luckyjim37
    Participant

Seems to be a little negative Rigwash.

Why do Sonsub Singapore not just employ Singaporian staff?

Seems to be an attitude from the UK that we are all so much better than the rest of the world but I am starting to wonder how true that is having worked with a bunch of Singaporian and Brazilians over the last few years. I have seen them make a lot of half decent techs look like amateurs.

And just about every trainee I have come accross seems to be looking at the next company they want to work for due to the amount of older and bolder guys telling them that is the way to a quick payrise.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

[code:1]What a load of rubbish.

Companies set there rates then the agencies try and pay as little of that rate to the techs as they can. Newbies get the least working up to people who have been around for a while who know the rates getting the most.

Some agencies claim to have rates agreed and set at the start of the year with the companies.

Seems to me though that one way of ensuring your C.V. gets to just about every major player is off an agency sending it out for you.

I have only expressed my own personnal experience. I thought that is what this site was about obviously not.

Seems yet again people with an opinion or an ajenda are offerring thoughts on a subject with no substance to back it up.

IF AN AGENCY CAN GET YOU YOUR FIRST JOB THEN WHY NOT? That is my question of the day.

Fair enough if you have no idea of the industry but after a training course at FW or MCTS you at least have a basic idea of what is going on probably as well as most company trainees in fact from what I read on here most company trainees are trained by MCTS or FW with the obvious exception of Oceaneering[/code:1]
    Hmm 🙄
    I wonder 😯

luckyjim37
    Participant

Ok so you can cut and paste Lost boy.

Would you like to now make a valid point ❗

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Ok , valid point coming !
    So that Trainees do not get delusions of granduer 🙄
    ( They shouldn’t be going through an agency because of ‘My point’ before)
    But I do know that agencies ( Ones that get greedy on the backs of others which causes annoyance and headaches for the likes of us ‘Old and Bolds’ as you put it) will tell a ‘Trainee’ what they could get.
    My point , as you put it ………………………
    Learn to Walk before you run !
    DO AN APPRENTISHIP ! that means going with an ROV company which gives the proper time taken to LEARN the trade and get proper assistance and back-up !
    Does the point come across ok 😕

luckyjim37
    Participant

DO AN APPRENTISHIP ! that means going with an ROV company which gives the proper time taken to LEARN the trade and get proper assistance and back-up !

Get a grip man. I know of two companies that have had proper apprentiships. Fugro of which I only actually know two people who have done it and Hallin Marine who are taking on at least one this year as far as I know.

What I do know is what you have wrote is taking this thread back to another thread altogether.

The guy wanted to know:

Which received a very negative response.

How we got back to working for agencies and the like I am not quite sure.

There are a lot of guys out there who are quite happy to fill trainees heads up with crap about what they can earn and where they can earn it.

The point I made in the other thread is that from personal experience I have benefitted in the long term by getting my first job from an agency and not a company so I personally do not see the problem with it as long as you have an idea what ROV’s are about.

You seem to have taken this as me telling every trainee to go and work for agencies not companies and make a lot of money but never develop and remain a liability to the teams they work with which is not the case.

There is a problem in this industry which is that there is no consistant training standard accross the board and there is no incentive to remain loyal to companies because someone will always pay you more to work for them.

If there was a more standardised level of pay and training it would improve the standard of techs as there would be nowhere to hide from the formal assessments and set ability levels for pay and rank increases.

This is not going to happen in the near future so untill then some really bad techs will be on a lot of money. Some really good techs will never advance because they are from the wrong part of the world and to many people in Aberdeen do not want to see their rates undercut.

That is the reality of the industry as I see having worked for companies and agencies. With personnel from Egypt, Brazil, Singapore, Phillipines and also from all over Europe.

I would like to think therefore that this is a fairly balanced opinion and not just one forged from a past predjudice or one which I have had rammed down my throat by some superintendant or Ops manager with some sort of ajenda.

Take it or leave that is how I see it.

So when I see a new guy asking what seems to be a relevant question to see such a negative response annoys me a little.

Also agencies supply people to fill a demand. If you are getting agency trainees someone somewhere has decided they need one and that is not me or most of the offshore staff it is a guy in an office so if you have a problem with it that is where the complaint should go not on a public forum which has no weight with offices or the agencies.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Ahh , 😀
    But you are wrong there , sunshine 🙂
    You would be surprised at how many agencies read this forum
    Now who’s being naive 🙂

Cabledog
    Participant

Jeez Jim,

I bet you feel better after that little lot 😯
    I agree with points both you and LB make, but in the end it is up to the guy who is after the job to make a decision, go with the company and get the training etc, or take the agency offer and risk putting him/herself and the rest of the team into a difficult position and maybe get the training.

Not an easy one, especially if rov is what you want to do. Personally, with the company you have the protection of everyone expecting a trainee on the job, agency you don’t, with the company you have a slightly smaller chance of getting NRB’D, which is nice 😳 😳

Be good
    Dog

luckyjim37
    Participant

Your right Cable Dog I do feel better.

I find it annoying when you try to make a point from experience and it is shot down and then dragged accross to other threads.

I started out through an agency over eight years later here I am that is a fact it happened so why LB has such a problem I am not sure.

Until there is a formal way into the industry with formal qualifications getting started is always going to be a rocky path. I just wanted to highlight that there is more than one way to skin a cat and that if there are no company positions forthcoming then agencies may produce an opening for someone.

You are right it is a risk but so is saying no to an opportunity.

It just pains me that there are a lot of people on this site and around the industry who give out advice so freely but make it appear to be gospel when there are so many grey areas when it comes to getting a start.

[But you are wrong there , sunshine
    You would be surprised at how many agencies read this forum
    Now who’s being naive ]

I would love to know what that is supposed to mean LB. And please do not refer to me as sunshine it is very patronising.

If you are refering to my final comments, it is correct. It does not matter who reads this website from the MD of UKPS to a secretary at Maris.

If a company ask who is available and they have a trainee available they will offer them. They are not going to change the way they do business because of some comment you or I make. Maybe you are being naive.

SpearROV
    Participant

I don’t see what’s got your goat Jim 😕
    All LB is saying is what alot of people are thinking in the Industry !
    He is not saying Don’t get a job in the Industry and he has put a valid point across ! If be it trying to be in a funny way……… Not
    He suggested his comments in the right part of the Forum where ‘Trainees’ are reading it so that is also valid and he is Also putting it across in a ROV Forum which , correct me if I’m wrong IS where you should discuss it ! 😯

luckyjim37
    Participant

You are right about that. But to tell trainees it is wrong to make every effort to get into the industry is also wrong.

If we do not want trainee’s from agencies then that needs to be pushed to the ops managers.

But what he is did that annoyed me so much was drag a different thread accross to this one to keep an argument going which means he has to much time on his hands and is quite sad.

This thread was about a young lad who has a training position and then aspires to work for Sonsub Singapore and had nothing to do with working for agencies which it has now become. Obviously the guy who started this thread off will not be benefitting from this.

SpearROV
    Participant

Cabledog appears to be able to grasp it .
    Although , I do not agree with Trainees going out as an agency guys.
    You know as well as I that most office personnel don’t give a flying F#*k who goes out on contract as long as the position is filled in the Company’s eyes and the Team out on the job have to carry the load 👿
    Which is ……….. Cannot think of the right word ! Thoughtless maybe ?
    Or inconsiderate ! It definately does not help the situation and it would definately put some kind of policing or standard to an ever growing indusrty which is hard to govern as it is .

Cabledog
    Participant

I agree with a lot of what Jim is saying, as well as Spear, IF you are going to go out as an agency "trainee" then fair play to you, sometimes it works ie Jim, sometimes not ie, the 3 numpties we had to work with in India last trip 😈 😯 😆

A lot of the problems seem to be down to the office guys accepting a trainee from an agency just to get an arse on a seat, and that is bad for both the company and the poor B,stard that takes the "opportunity"

However that guy who started this wants to know about; I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF I HAVE AN OPPRTUNITY TO BE HIRED AT SONSUB SINGAPORE IF I AM GOING TO APPLY THERE AFTER MY TRAINING PERIOD HERE AT THE CABLE SHIP????

Mate, there is always an opportunity, it is up to you to take it, but laying out your plans for either working for Sonsub or world domination is not such a good idea when the world can see what you are up to, di ba??? 😯

Be good
    Dog

SpearROV
    Participant

Ok Jim , What do you think of the orriginal question ?
    The guy ( Trainee ) has been offered and has a position already with a company 😕
    He has All ready got a ‘step on the ladder’ and should be grateful for it , He should put his head down and learn ! But it appears to me that the guy is chasing the money All ready and there is a Good chance he will try to get it by going to an agency if the Sonsub deal falls through !
    That is irresponsible and is not helping the standard of ROV pilots much ! Is it ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar