Home Forums General The Ships, Semi Subs, Rigs & Platforms CASTORO 16 Trenching vessel

CASTORO 16 Trenching vessel

Home Forums General The Ships, Semi Subs, Rigs & Platforms CASTORO 16 Trenching vessel

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Robert Mur
    Participant

anyone worked in the Castoro 16 trenching vessel?

whats it like? working conditions, living conditions, food, board, crew etc

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Not been there but… It’s Saipem, it’s a barge.. to fill in the blanks use your imagination 😉

Sit Rep
    Participant

Not been there but having been on several …

Being Saipem, food is likely to be the biggest issue. Be prepared for tripe, boiled beef, small bony fish and whatever else is cheaply available in bulk.

Also consider bringing your own condiments, for some reason Saipem think that olive oil and vinegar are all you need. One day 🙄 Saipem will realise that we aren’t all Italian, Fascist peasants and that culinary standards have advanced since Roman times!

Enjoy

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Not been there but having been on several …

Being Saipem, food is likely to be the biggest issue. Be prepared for tripe, boiled beef, small bony fish and whatever else is cheaply available in bulk.

Also consider bringing your own condiments, for some reason Saipem think that olive oil and vinegar are all you need. One day 🙄 Saipem will realise that we aren’t all Italian, Fascist peasants and that culinary standards have advanced since Roman times!

Enjoy

Hah! 🙂

rov_er
    Participant

we aren’t all Italian, Fascist peasants

Quite a racist statement dude, I’m surprised it comes from you…

rov_er

Andy Shiers
    Participant

But true 😀

Sit Rep
    Participant

If you think I’m racist you’ve never worked for Saipem.

Medium rare steak as you ordered Gino?

Grazie

Next in the queue, "Can I please have one too mate?"

No sorry you’re not allowed (spoken in any accent by any cheap 3rd world / eastern European caterer/Camp Boss) hence the low standards, budget, skill etc.

Bon appetite!

Ciao

And rov_er just calling it as I see it, the truth is not "-ist" if it it exists unless that’s realist! 😉

James McLauchlan
    Participant

we aren’t all Italian, Fascist peasants

Quite a racist statement dude, I’m surprised it comes from you…

rov_er

An equally politically correct style statement for an ROV website! We try to be a little more liberal around here.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Blatant you mean 8)

Etienne Demers
    Participant

Hi,

I have not worked on this particular one either but I have worked on a Castoro barge and other Italian vessels.

Fact is, they love to segregate and treat people as second class citizens. They usually have an Officer’s mess and a Technical mess.

Don’t be surprise to smell pasta, see a few bottles of wines and a couple of waiters… Just don’t expect its for you. lollllll Only marine officers, big wigs and … Italians (unless he’s ROV, Rigger or AB)… can eat in the officer’s mess.

The Castoro barge I worked on was a death trap with 8 men cabin. Only a sink in the cabin where all the other guys pissed in. (imagine the smell) Commute showers with no curtains and shitters without doors. The whole place was dirty. The food was scarce and disgusting. Lots of men holding hands…

I was lucky enough to have my wife at the time go into labor and dodged the place after 2 weeks. Longest 2 weeks I ever had offshore.

I strongly discourage anyone to go on an Italian flag barge/vessel/rig.

The last one I worked on was the M/V Sentinel and they got caught smuggling goods (don’t remember exactly what) not long after I had left.

If you do go there, be sure to pack centrum vitamins and lube loll http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_wFEB4Oxlo

Have fun!

Sit Rep
    Participant

Good onya Chewy!

Needs to be said, it’s been said.

I think we can put this to bed.

I would urge all members to report sub-standard conditions eg: hygiene, safety etc on this web site either on the "Danger Zone" or "Ships , Semi-subs, rigs and Platforms" fora.

It’s one of the ways we can start to have an input on the conditions offshore, we are read by many more people here than a local Stop card.

We are a small community aboard any one vessel but our role is critical, otherwise we wouldn’t be there!

As the old "greenie" saying goes "think globally, act locally". The reverse may also hold true; spread the news on here and things may hopefully change.

Slainte mhor

liddelljohn
    Participant

Saipems ships seem Ok but the barges even the flagship S7000 are aweful for segregation and poor food

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar