Home Forums ROV Self/Home Build ROV Discussions Command a rov via internet

Command a rov via internet

Home Forums ROV Self/Home Build ROV Discussions Command a rov via internet

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

This is one carried over from the old forum

Hello,

I’m a french student in electronic. I ‘ve got a project for a company: I must find a system to command a mini rov (type videoray) via internet.
    Moreover Ibwould like to have info about protocol used to control ptz, light and thrusters.

Thanks

Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

Hi Ranus,

I am not sure what you want to do. Do you want to convert a Videoray/LBV to work via internet, or build a whole control system?

Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

Salut Sumpguru,

My company (of tourist aquariums http://www.citedelamer.com ) is going to buy a standard mini-ROV to put in a big aquarium (the vehicle is not choices, maybe videoray, LBC or hyball!!).
    First, command is intended for tourists, so using command standard near aquarium.
    Moreover, command could be switch to allow Net surfer using.
    what do you think about it?

Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

Ranus,

Here are my thoughts:
    Make sure you get brushless thruster motors for prolonged use.
    For the interface you need to talk to the manufacturers. Each manufacturer uses their own protocol for the data link, and they are not likely to give out the information to allow you to make your own surface unit. That said, surface units are processor controlled, and often connected to the hand controller via RS232, so conversion to PC control should be fairly easy and not too expensive.
    Flying over the internet from a standard PC will be difficult – the ROV needs proportional control ( ie joysticks). Video over dial-up internet probably would not be good enough, but it would be OK on broadband.
    Letting the public fly ROVs does cause some problems – you will need someone on constant standby to untangle the umbilical!
    If you have never worked with ROVs before it would be a good idea to contact the ROV manufacturers for a sales demonstration, so that you can see exactly what is involved.

Hope this helps.

Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

Hi Mike,

Would it be possible to use a Hyball for the kind of application that Ranus is takling about?

For more info on the Hyball visit… http://www.smdhydrovision.com/hydrovision/products2.html

Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

Ranus,
    Here are my thoughts: Not Hyball – it is obsolete and would take too much maintenance. Either of the other vehicles would work, but make sure you get the brushless thruster motors for prolonged use.
    For the interface you need to talk to the manufacturers. Each manufacturer uses their own protocol for the data link, and they are not likely to give out the information to allow you to make your own surface unit. That said, surface units are processor controlled, and often connected to the hand controller via RS232, so conversion to PC control should be fairly easy and not too expensive.
    Flying over the internet from a standard PC will be difficult – the ROV needs proportional control ( ie joysticks). Video over dial-up internet probably would not be good enough, but it would be OK on broadband.
    Letting the public fly ROVs does cause some problems – you will need someone on constant standby to untangle the umbilical!
    If you have never worked with ROVs before it would be a good idea to contact the ROV manufacturers for a sales demonstration, so that you can see exactly what is involved.

Hope this helps.

Sumpguru,
    Hyball is still available to purchase new and is fully supported by one of the largest and most successful ROV manufacturers in the world. Hyball is the most successful eyeball ROV ever built with over 200 units produced.

Mike (SMD Hydrovision)

Anonymous

Hi,
    I think that I have an idea of controlling the ROV over the Internet. Fist of all connect the ROV to the computer locally as we usually do. Now let that computers be connected to the Internet. After that successful connection give that computer the permission to be remotely connected. Now make the remote connection to the locally connected computer to ROV. This connection can be established by leash line or by tunneling the network over the Internet.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar