Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Courses

Courses

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Courses

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    stuart johnson
    Participant

Hello, i have just joined and getting started in the rov industry, before i ask this, i have lookef at other posts to try and get the info before i post this, however i couldnt find the exact thing i was looking for,

Anyway to get to the point, do you guys think it would be a good idea to get an hnc/hnd in engineering systems and then the Rov course in fort william.

Do you think this is a good idea or should I try other options to go offshore?

Thank you

Stuart

Graham Starkie
    Participant

Hello mate, you want qualifications and work experience that shows you know what’s what.

Saying that, I was fortunate enough to visit a vessel and speak with two rov supers not long back. they both found it quite hard to believe that most places these days use the requirement for hnd or hnc as a requirement, they both then went on to prove that not a single one on either of their teams had either qualification….

They did all have good grounding in their previous trades and the experience to show it, I’m engineering minded and have a good understanding in mechanical / electrical and IT comms but I’m still doing a hnd to supplement.

Some say don’t waste cash on the course and others have shown it works, I was told on the phone by an employer not to bother as they will train you if you are lucky enough to get in.

stuart johnson
    Participant

Cheers mate

Deffo think i’ll go and spend money on the fort william course at them moment and try get some hnc/hnd in engineering, then try get some work experience somewhere onshore.

I used to work in event production for the last 3 years working with rigging,health and safety, 3phase power (400amp and 150kvA+ generators)
    Team leading stuff like that and working long hours

Dont if that will help me but maybe it will

Thanks for the reply:)

David
    Participant

Stu
    I’ve been working for a rig company for 2 months now. I did a ROV course but it was a waste of time.
    I’ve got quite a senior supervisory engineering job which pays well. No one EVER asked for any qualifications! It was all down to previous experience.
    The ROV market is saturated – save your money.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar