Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner courses

courses

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner courses

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Roy Simson
    Participant

Yes do any courses for Hydraulics and Electronics as for where sorry I have no idea what courses they do at your location your need to check . But you are wasting your time and money on a Rov course as its not a mandatory requirement .Over the years I have got guys into the industry and none of them had done a Rov course, however if you still want to waste your money then I am sure the schools will be more than happy to take your money but will it help you get a rov trainee job I dont think so ! But we did warn you .

Chris Baldwin
    Participant

MA, have to agree with Raptor’s view of the industry at present. From my understanding I cannot see oil going above $60 as shale will just kick in to over-supply a reducing consumer demand. The bottom line is that technology has advanced so far we can find oil everywhere! Socio-political changes such as the announcement in the UK of non-internal combustion engine new vehicles from 2040 is just writing on the wall. Plus massive renewable energy schemes have changed the face of the O&G industry for power generation which I’m not sure some seniors in the industry have yet recognised. However, a lot of renewable wind farms are using ROV for construction and IRM. Also in the North Sea decommissioning is going to be done largely by non-diver systems so there may be some light on the horizon. Deepwater offshore wind in the Far East (Japan) will inevitably require ROV support. The main difference is that the money incentives will not be anywhere near like O&G as prices for energy are known and fixed in these major contracts. Also AI systems and remote piloting from shore to reduce seaborne personnel costs will have the additional effect of reducing manpower numbers required to support the industry. In summary the picture is uncertain – main lesson is that everything changes and you just have to adapt to the impact on the industry that technology is having. Raptor has seen many changes over his time in the industry – may be this is just the cycle of life! As an independent observer at IMCA I still think that the community would benefit from having a representative body such as an ROV Techs’ Association. It seems that there is a very difficult playing field for individuals trying to wade through the demands of employers (IMCA members) and therefore collective representation would be an advantage? I’d be very interested to hear thoughts on this – even if it is negative.

liddelljohn
    Participant

Having some good trade qualifications wont do any harm whatever work you do , but i personally know 3 very well qualified guys who spent several thousand £££££ on ROV courses and Offshore certs in 2015 and they never got any luck in ROV due to the state of the industry ,, big risk which did not pay off

John Smith
    Participant

So you say it’s better to take on a Hydraulics and Electronics short course than to go for an ROV course to understand better about the actual job. But again my main concern is still not cleared – which institute would you suggest?

Its not really that hard is it?. All the ROV courses are all a bit barclays. So it doesnt matter which one you do. Just go to the nearest/ cheapest/ shortest course, thats still actually open and doing courses in these dark economic times, and just make sure the nice shiney cert the institute gives you, to say you are a fully qualified ROV 2 pilot tech or whatever, is acceptable to your close relative.

Good luck with your new offshore career.
    PJ

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar