Home Forums ROV Self/Home Build ROV Discussions DIY ROV Tether

DIY ROV Tether

Home Forums ROV Self/Home Build ROV Discussions DIY ROV Tether

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Josh R.
    Participant

Hello all,
    I am a mechanical engineering student and my senior design class is designing and building an ROV about the size of a drink cooler. My team is in charge of designing and manufacturing the tether for the ROV. This tether is going to house a CAT 5 cable for controls and a 12g power wire. We have been tossing around ideas about various polymers to use for the outer jacket but I have not found any concrete information on tether construction in our research. I was wondering if anyone here has built one with long term success. I am interested in any information on outer coating materials, internal strength members, etc. This ROV will be conducting biological field tests on the sea floor of the coast of south Georgia (salt water). It will be housed on a reeling device on the ship and will probably experience the elements on a regular basis. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Josh

Andy Shiers
    Participant

I would suggest you get in touch with a Cable manufactuerer or some one like MARE

Kalbo
    Participant

Have a look at this site. It may give you ideas.

http://www.hydrogroup.plc.uk/cables-stock.asp

Josh R.
    Participant

Thanks, and yes we have been in contact with a few tether manufacturers but we haven’t gotten any responses through email. We might have to try calling these people in order to get some answers. So the site you posted is suggesting that polyurethane is one way to go? I will have to look further into the availability for us as well as the cost effectiveness of the urethane.

Kalbo
    Participant

It is one option to go for polyurethane sheath. Go to the contacts section of the site and email Pauline, I’m sure she will reply to you and provide you with data sheets for your information and if they have a stock available for you.

Andy Timms
    Participant

have a look here…… http://www.elmeridge.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar