Home Forums Safety, Survival Courses & Medicals Safety – ROV. Do ROV crews have a higher rate of cancer than normal?

Do ROV crews have a higher rate of cancer than normal?

Home Forums Safety, Survival Courses & Medicals Safety – ROV. Do ROV crews have a higher rate of cancer than normal?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mike McEwan
    Participant

Guys,

This is something I have been mulling over for the last few years. I have noticed in my time in this industry that a hell of a lot of my mates and colleagues have passed away due to various cancers.
    I am just wondering what are other people experiences? I am not looking for names or personal stories just an idea if it could be an issue. If we compare the percentage in our work lives to our personal lives is it higher? It is in mine.
    My gut feeling is that sitting next to buzzing boost transformers for years could be the cause.

Mike

Ray Shields
    Participant

To be honest, I think the amount of cigarettes, drinking, bad diet and general living life to the max during time off has more effect on the chances of getting cancer!

Remembering that quite a few also come from a military background where they may have been exposed to chemicals and radiation which may also contribute.

Can’t say that I know many rov people to have cancer

T-Boy
    Participant

mike,

I have lost a few close mates to the ‘Big C’ – They didn’t even work offshore or in what I would call a hazardous industry!

IMO "Lady Luck" has the greatest influence on your chances. Of course smoking, etc increases the chances.

I don’t believe there is any evidence to support a direct correlation between EMF (From HV TXFR’s) with the exposure times we are talking about and Cancer.

I have been prancing round helidecks for over 15 years with RF (HF, VHF and UHF), KU Band radars pulsing at 25Kw, and it never affected me.

Having said that; The one notable slide afflict si wen me tyepin tomsimes gose arreye 😉

Sit Rep
    Participant

Majormike,

You say "various forms" of cancer.

From what I have read and observed personally, occupational exposures to chemicals etc tend to lead to similar cancers i.e. electrical workers exposed to PCBs and liver cancers or stoker/mechanics/laggers asbestos exposure and mesothelioma.

T-Boy,

With RF exposure it’s because you’re "prancing"! Don’t stand still too long and RF energy won’t bother you, unless it’s high-power, CW and directed e.g missile fire control radar or you remain stationery within x metres for y minutes of a "say" HF comms antenna. This is because RF "non-ionising" radiation causes damage due to heating effects e.g. the old microwave cooker.

You’re probably going to get a melanoma though unless you "slip, slop, slap" (or work the right shift)!

Cheers
    😉

T-Boy
    Participant

Aha, wondered why me fillings were warming up!

Explains the tan as well 😉

Mike McEwan
    Participant

I say " various " because I don’t really want to go into great detail about what folk have died off on a public forum.
    What I would say is that in the last 5 years 3 of my colleagues have died. In that time nobody I know in my private life has. Just makes me wonder.
    I also wonder about sitting with the boost transformer chest as your desk for years. 12 hours a day with 3 trannies buzzing about knacker height is a worry.
    What about the dust from the trannies is that dangerous?
    Mike

Ray Shields
    Participant

EM "radiation" from transformers is not the same type of radiation that causes cancer.

The frequency of the waves are also generally 50 or 60Hz, too low frequency to penetrate. Try Googling and you will see lots of stories for and against, bust most scientific research says no.

http://www.mcw.edu/radiationoncology/ourdepartment/radiationbiology/Static-Electric-and-Magnetic-F.htm

http://www.mcw.edu/radiationoncology/ourdepartment/radiationbiology/Power-Lines-and-Cancer-FAQs.htm

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar