Home Forums General General Board Do ROV operators actually FLY ????

Do ROV operators actually FLY ????

Home Forums General General Board Do ROV operators actually FLY ????

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    SmallWorld
    Participant

Thought I’d add this in response to another thread . This is MY THREAD , so no angry , bitter or insulting comments please , especially from the Baron who I think I,ve upset , sorry baron you know I think your very special .

Anyway to start the debate I decided to look online for a dictionary to look up the deffinition of the the word FLY , just to see if there was any relevant infomation with respect to any movement underwater ………

Heres what i found

fly1  /flaɪ/ Pronunciation Key – Show Spelled Pronunciation[flahy] Pronunciation Key – Show IPA Pronunciation verb, flew or, for 11, 19, flied, flown, fly‧ing, noun, plural flies.

–verb (used without object) 1. to move through the air using wings.
    2. to be carried through the air by the wind or any other force or agency: bits of paper flying about.
    3. to float or flutter in the air: flags flying in the breeze.
    4. to travel in an aircraft or spacecraft.
    5. to move suddenly and quickly; start unexpectedly: He flew from the room.
    6. to change rapidly and unexpectedly from one state or position to another: The door flew open.
    7. to flee; escape.
    8. to travel in space: The probe will fly past the planet.
    9. to move or pass swiftly: How time flies!
    10. to move with an aggressive surge: A mother fox will fly at anyone approaching her kits.
    11. Baseball. a. to bat a fly ball: He flied into right field.
    b. to fly out.

12. Informal. to be acceptable, believable, or feasible: It seemed like a good idea, but it just wouldn’t fly.
    –verb (used with object) 13. to make (something) float or move through the air: to fly a kite.
    14. to operate (an aircraft, spacecraft, or the like).
    15. to hoist aloft, as for display, signaling, etc.: to fly a flag.
    16. to operate an aircraft or spacecraft over: to fly the Pacific.
    17. to transport or convey by air: We fly merchandise to Boston.
    18. to escape from; flee: to fly someone’s wrath.
    19. Theater. a. to hang (scenery) above a stage by means of rigging supported by the gridiron.
    b. to raise (scenery) from the stage or acting area into the flies.

–noun 20. a strip of material sewn along one edge of a garment opening for concealing buttons, zippers, or other fasteners.
    21. a flap forming the door of a tent.
    22. Also called tent fly. a piece of canvas extending over the ridgepole of a tent and forming an outer roof.
    23. an act of flying; a flight.
    24. the course of a flying object, as a ball.
    25. Baseball. fly ball.
    26. British. a light, covered, public carriage drawn by one horse; hansom; hackney coach.
    27. Machinery. a horizontal arm, weighted at each end, that pivots about the screw of a press so that when the screw is lowered the momentum of the fly will increase the force of the press.
    28. Also called fan. Horology. a regulating device for chime and striking mechanisms, consisting of an arrangement of vanes on a revolving axis.
    29. Printing. a. (in some presses) the apparatus for removing the printed sheets to the delivery table.
    b. Also called flyboy. (formerly) a printer’s devil employed to remove printed sheets from a press.

30. (on a flag) a. the horizontal dimension of a flag as flown from a vertical staff.
    b. the end of the flag farther from the staff. Compare hoist (def. 7).

31. flies. Also called fly loft. Theater. the space above the stage used chiefly for storing scenery and equipment.
    32. Nautical. a propellerlike device streamed to rotate and transfer information on speed to a mechanical log.
    —Verb phrase33. fly out, Baseball, Softball. to be put out by hitting a fly ball that is caught by a player of the opposing team.
    —Idioms34. fly blind. blind (def. 33).
    35. fly in the face of, to act in defiance of (authority, custom, etc.). Also, fly in the teeth of.
    36. fly off the handle. handle (def. 16).
    37. go fly a kite, Slang. a. to put up with or get used to matters as they stand.
    b. to confine oneself to one’s own affairs.
    c. to cease being a nuisance: If she gets mad enough she’ll tell me to go fly a kite.

38. let fly, a. to hurl (a weapon, missile, etc.).
    b. to give free rein to an emotion: She let fly with a barrage of angry words.

39. on the fly, a. during flight; before falling to the ground: to catch a baseball on the fly.
    b. hurriedly; without pausing: We had dinner on the fly.

Nope : Cant find anything there tha

thinsub
    Participant

You Have too much time in Caracas Bay

Andy Shiers
    Participant

As you said ,
    Number 14 .
    To operate an aircraft , spacecraft or alike.
    Three dimensional movement !
    To hover. negative ,neutral or positive bouyancy
    Up/down,Horizontal or backwards and forwards.
    ROV or Underwater craft .
    To Fly !
    Spatial awareness , to use ones navigational aids to travel if viz is bad
    I know a few that thnk that the Arcade view of things is fun but expensive if you lose !

K2
    Participant

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear……..ZZZZzzzzzzzz…!!!!!!

🙄 🙄

K2

😉

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Ah 🙂
    Another PC gamer ace 😆

K2
    Participant

Nice eh! Glad to say I’m the first on this avatar. Here’s where it came from:

http://avatars.jurko.net/

There’s some cool stuff in here…..

😆

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Maybe you could learn some tips on flying ROV’s on there too 😆

K2
    Participant

But we don’t fly ROVs….do we?!!

😆

TheBaron
    Participant

Bring back Yoda!!!

luckyjim37
    Participant

Perhaps we do not fly the ROV’s but we do pilot them and pilots fly so therefore we are pilots and that is at least a impressess the ladies.

truered
    Participant

does the pilot of a harbour authority fly the boat??? 😕

TheBaron
    Participant

I’ve heard that some harbour pilots have flown ships right to the bottom of the oggin. Sounds like they worked on all 3 planes to achieve that, so yes, I’ll allow their pilot status.

truered
    Participant

if you look up pilot in the dictionary then you get

1. a person duly qualified to steer ships into or out of a harbor or through certain difficult waters.
    2. a person who steers a ship.
    3. Aeronautics. a person duly qualified to operate an airplane, balloon, or other aircraft.
    4. a guide or leader: the pilot of the expedition.
    5. coast pilot (def. 1).
    6. pilot light (def. 1).
    7. Machinery. a guide for centering or otherwise positioning two adjacent parts, often consisting of a projection on one part fitting into a recess in the other.
    8. Railroads. cowcatcher.
    9. Also called pilot film, pilot tape. Television. a prototypical filmed or taped feature, produced with hopes of network adoption as a television series and aired to test potential viewer interest and attract sponsors.
    10. a preliminary or experimental trial or test: The school will offer a pilot of its new computer course.
    –verb (used with object)
    11. to steer.
    12. to lead, guide, or conduct, as through unknown places, intricate affairs, etc.
    13. to act as pilot on, in, or over.
    14. to be in charge of or responsible for: –adjective 15. serving as an experimental or trial undertaking prior to full-scale operation or use: a pilot project.

some relevant ones there, i think that we qualify as pilots 8) 😆

Anonymous

😀 Does it matter you fly, operate, it boil down to 1 thing Fater bank account, aye……

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Ahhhhhhhhhhh , Another none believer 😯

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar