Home Forums General General Board Eyesight problem – working offshore

Eyesight problem – working offshore

Home Forums General General Board Eyesight problem – working offshore

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    markno1
    Participant

I am looking for a career change and the ROV/Offshore industry is one that i am seriously considering.

However i have one problem in that i am fully blind in my left eye, would this affect working in the ROV/Offshore industry, i have read that to work offshore i will need a Offshore med cert. would i fail at the first hurdle with my problem?

Alternatively do you know of anyone who is blind in one eye and how does it affect him working offshore or with spacial awareness piloting ROV’s.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

PS Nelson made a good career for himself offshore with only one eye.

Anonymous

nelson did not work with rovs, your wasting your time, better look elsewhere, i dont think you would pass the medical.

markno1
    Participant

I kind of expected it would make things difficult.

I have been told to pass the ENG1 medical that 2 eyes are a must, but to pass the medical that enables you to work in Noregian/Danish waters etc… that it would be ok.

T-Boy
    Participant

Markno1

Don’t tell me you got a wooden leg as well ๐Ÿ˜†

"Pieces of eight"

Subhuman
    Participant

Hi why donโ€™t you call abermed or other Docโ€™s that do the offshore medicals and ask them.

nosub
    Participant

Sonsub Have a Pilot Tech who has lost the sight in one eye…..

luckyjim37
    Participant

Sub human is right but be aware you do not need an ENG 1 medical unless you intend to work as part of the ships crew. That is a department of transport medical not an offshore medical. The offshore medicals are not quite as hard or from memory expensive.

But if you ring up your local Occupational Health centre and ask they will advise you better than the majority of users on this site.

Saying that some of the guys offshore have horrendous eyesight not to mention eyes that point in different directions.

Good luck either way.

Anonymous

i dont mean to rain on your parade……but even if you get a RGIT and OPITO medical you will be toiling to get a start as not only will you be trying to get a trainees job, you will be competing with with fully sighted guys,

Also they might look upon a partiality sight man as a liability on deck (to himself and others) and the company’s insurance might not take too well to it either…

sorry m8, but i think you should look elsewhere, but best of luck whatever.

Paul Bond
    Participant

I know an ROV pilot who works for a biggish UK company that is blind in one – it didn’t stop him getting a job and doing ok.

I agree with previous posts – check with an offshore medical registerd doctor and they will let you know about the medical requirements.

Good luck.

rovpilot
    Participant

I know an ROV pilot who works for a biggish UK company that is blind in one – it didn’t stop him getting a job and doing ok.

Good luck.

I know a guy blind in one eye, he’s not doing ok,He is f**king useless (different guy maybe?)

Paul Bond
    Participant

It might be – i left the company a few months after he had an interview but he was still there when i did an agency job for them a year later.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Ummm…. I might have a little insight here…

Are we Carunts, as a hole, operating in 2 D or 3 D?? Gamers not allowed to answer!!! If you’re in the field, you’re sometimes out of your depth….

rigwash
    Participant

You could try Sonsub singapore.

There used to be heaps of 1 eyed guys in the office there. It was actually an asset for them, especially when hiring other familly members, mates, the gym instuctors boy friend, the lawn mowing contractor and fraternal brothers of the masonic lodge

Savante
    Participant

don’t we operate in 2D using non stereographic cameras? i.e depth of field is irrelevant anyway?

carunts? is this a spelling mistake or are we conversing in code? ๐Ÿ˜†

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

don’t we operate in 2D using non stereographic cameras? i.e depth of field is irrelevant anyway?

carunts? is this a spelling mistake or are we conversing in code? ๐Ÿ˜†

Sav,

Ummmm. why are you answering a (blatant) sarcastic question DUDE? Twice?

Carunts… hmmmmmmmm… some of you folks inside the uk seem to forget that you’ve got over 300 different dialects in such a smallish island…. Where’s that one from?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar