Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner FAO Advice Givers!

FAO Advice Givers!

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner FAO Advice Givers!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Josh Southworth
    Participant

First let me state although I’m a rookie in this industry, i’m no rookie to internet forums so I have researched this highly useful site prior to making this post 😀

So where to start. Currently I am employed with the Royal Fleet Auxiliary as a Marine Engineer Rating. I have NVQ’s in mechanical/marine/electrical engineering, obviously not as fancy as an HND but with the work experience i get from drawn out 4 month trips i’m no novice!

I’ve been in contact with a few friends of my dad who met him as commercial divers and moved onto the ROV’s. They have been a great help but as they are busy workers i’d like to not hassle them with every question! Basically they have said what the experience i’ve been getting is great and have said the rov course will obviously help, i have investigated Global Marine in portland who run the course at a fair (enough) price.

But my questions:

I hold an ENg1, would i have to hold a different type of medical?
    I hold a BSSC, this is the mca’s merchant shipping sea safety course, but would i need to hold an OSS instead?
    With the RFA I have the choice (through good reports!) to get my 4th engineers ticket, should I bother with this or just try with the NVQ’s rather than HND? I would prefer not to simply because i would need another year to get on the 4th engineer course a year doing the course and a year after to gain work experience, and i do not wish to do many more 4 month trips! certainly not after my wedding next year!

I probably have more questions but i’ve rambled on enough so if you can either kindly answer these questions or provide links to threads that contain the answers it would be greatly appreciated! cheers

John TRAV
    Participant

……..so, without your 4th eng Cert of Competency – your not actually a Rated Marine Engineer!!

Ray Shields
    Participant

An ENG1 medical is not valid in offshore oil and gas. You need a specific offshore medical (and for work in Norway you also need a Norwegian medical).

See http://www.rovworld.com/faq-17-Offshore+Survival+Courses+%26amp%3B+Medical+Requirements.html

James McLauchlan
    Participant

……..so, without your 4th eng Cert of Competency – your not actually a Rated Marine Engineer!!

Topside
    Not sure what your point is there?? Whether the OP is rated as a Marine Engineer or not is a mute point when it comes to employability on the ROV industry.

What I see is someone that has hands on (time served) experience of the type we need offshore. The OP also has certs to back it up. That is exactly how a company would see it when looking for suitable people to train up for ROV crew.

Q
    & A’s
    I hold an ENg1, would i have to hold a different type of medical?
    You would definitely need an OGUK offshore medical (as Ray says above), In addition, request an Norwegian endorsement at the time.

I hold a BSSC, this is the mca’s merchant shipping sea safety course, but would i need to hold an OSS instead?
    You would need an OPITO approved Offshore Survival ticket (BOSIET), so you would need to attend a course.

With the RFA I have the choice (through good reports!) to get my 4th engineers ticket, should I bother with this or just try with the NVQ’s rather than HND? I would prefer not to simply because i would need another year to get on the 4th engineer course a year doing the course and a year after to gain work experience, and i do not wish to do many more 4 month trips! certainly not after my wedding next year!
    If you want out, I would go with just the NVQ’s. Those coupled with your proven hands on (time served) experience would be more than enough to get you into the ROV industry.

FYI trip lengths offshore an vary a lot but are around 4-6 weeks on average.

If you will be UK based and trying to break into the industry the best time to start knocking on doors is around April/May.

Good luck!

Josh Southworth
    Participant

Actually forgot I’d posted this but found it whilst trawling the interwebs! To the poster who answered my questions thank you kindly 🙂 I’m still pursuing this career I have been set back by paying for my wedding but am getting back on track and shall be booking my bosiet and Medicals in the new year, to the fellow who said I’m not a marine engineer, re-read what I said ‘marine engineer RATING’ it’s basically a posh term for motorman but the job differs to a motorman on rigs 🙂

Another question I have at the moment, is there much point in me sending my c.v out to anyone before I have the bosiet etc? Or is it just better to wait until I have the tickets? Thanks in advance to any response

Ray Shields
    Participant

Another question I have at the moment, is there much point in me sending my c.v out to anyone before I have the bosiet etc? Or is it just better to wait until I have the tickets? Thanks in advance to any response

Many people think that they must get their medical and offashore survival and even ROV training before applying for jobs.

I do not think this is the case. All the offshore companies know that people need medical and survival, if they want to employ someone, then they will put them through it.

I have never seen anyone taken on over someone else just because they have done their tickets and the other guy hasn’t. It is all about ability to do the job – repair the ROV. Survivals and medicals are a day to day thing for the companies, if they want to employ you they will put you through it.

I would start applying. But do not just rely on posting or emailing CVs, try and get to speak to people, get to Aberdeen, bang on doors, try and get to see Operations Managers etc. If you get rejected, try and get feedback on why you were rejected so that you can improve these areas.

Josh Southworth
    Participant

Thanks mate well I won’t be able to get myself up to Aberdeen as I’m back on ship next week for 4 months but thankfully I’m in the uk for the first month so I’ll get emailing c.v’s and ringing up I’ve got a long list of companies from a friend to send off to with numbers so I’ll be keeping myself busy with them whilst I’m away thankfully I live about 5 minutes from fleetwood nautical college so it’s easy enough for me to get there and get the bosiet sorted I’ll put in my c.v that I’m available to get the medical and bosiet at any point 🙂 thanks for the help

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar