Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training Fibres for dummies

Fibres for dummies

Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training Fibres for dummies

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Alex Kerr
    Participant

Need help chaps!,- going to a job in the South Atlantic in April, with a particularly overloaded super mohawk (don’t know how old). We will be doing a lot of survey with a bit of wreck intervention (recovery of loose bits etc), but mostly survey.
    A good bit of the info being pushed up two single mode fibres, I have flagged up that fibres are not my most strong subject, but they still want me to go, I know the supervisor and he knows less than I do!, so can expect no help there. 😉
    Can anyone recommend some appropriate reading material for the run up?, for info my main bias is electrical.

Alex Kerr
    Participant

Just posted the above and noticed that I put it in the wrong section, should be technical – OOPS!!!

Rons_ROV_Links
    Participant

Here you can download some guids in pdf format: http://www.commspecial.com/education/assets.php?doc=eduguide

Otherwise ePanorama.net has maybe some interesting links for you: http://www.epanorama.net/links/opto.html#fiber

marley
    Participant

Hi Spark784, You dont happen to know what number SM it is do you. Worked with SMII before, and believe it is still kicking around the location that you have mentioned. Great little sub, only a few small problems, Fiber being one of them, sorted it out after, PM me and I can tell you what I found out the hard way, maybe it may help, maybe it wont.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Can anyone recommend some appropriate reading material for the run up?, for info my main bias is electrical.

Just posted the above and noticed that I put it in the wrong section, should be technical – OOPS!!!

Not really… it could be viewed as further training.

CRover
    Participant

James, Highlights a problem though. 3-man team on a small ROV, full of sparkys/clankys or Ops Managers borthers and nobody know how to do a reterm. Hapens all the time.

Full marks to the guy for holding his hand up and saying ‘I don’t know’. Not sure if this happened before the veesel left port or not though. 😯

Alex Kerr
    Participant

Before the vessel left port?—- I’m still at home! 😆

Savante
    Participant

google "3M hot melts" – the procedure for doing an optical fibre splice is there – they’re my pet peeve – along with dialla. Be careful handling little bits of optical fibre and the silica liquid is actually a health hazard, definately a goggles and latex gloves time !

on a small system like that, they’ll probably give you a little laser emitter and detector – learn how to make a proper test circuit (to measure dB losses) and find the optical budget of your multiplexer for comparison.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Have a Google for "Fibre optics" (and Fiber optics!) and you will find a lot of good info already on the Net

Alex Kerr
    Participant

ray,
    received the info this am, many thanks.
    I’ll be watching the threads to see if I can return the favour.
    thanks again! 😀

Keven
    Participant

Hi any chance of someone passing on the fibre training info would like to read up on this.
    Thx in advance

Keven

P.S Been watching and reading here for a long time very helpful info/ advice.

Alex Kerr
    Participant

Ray,
    So long as you dont object I’ll forward your e-mail.

Keven,
    PM me with an e-mail address and I’ll forward following a reply from my kind benefactor.

pipetracker
    Participant

Is the system already mobbed or will you also be faced with interfacing all the survey kit when you get there?

As mentioned before take care with fibres as the little off-cuts can pose a health hazard. Make sure they all go in a sharp’s bin. Saftey glasses are a must.

Also helps if you can check your dB loss at all wavelengths. I’ve seen systems using Wave Division Multiplexing where 2 or more wavelengths share the same fibre and have acceptable/good dB losses at one wavelength and bad at another causing ths system to stop working.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar