Home Forums General General Board Fire suppression system kills 20 on Russian submarine

Fire suppression system kills 20 on Russian submarine

Home Forums General General Board Fire suppression system kills 20 on Russian submarine

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    liddelljohn
    Participant

OK its not ROV related but it does ram home the danger of fire and Halon type fire suppression systems on vessels . News channels are reporting 20 dead in a Russian Pacific fleet Nuclear sub under going trials with crew and contractors killed when the fire suppression system operated without warning .

Rons_ROV_Links
    Participant

Article from the BBC: Twenty die on Russian submarine

ROVRatt
    Participant

Some thing still appear to be unclear though, especially the fire suppresion agent used. The BBC says it was Freon but this is a refrigeration gas that should have been replaced years ago and is virtually unobtainable now as it is the major contributer to the Antarctic Ozone hole.

Halon is another gas that has now been outlawed for several years as a fire suppresant due to its effects on human health.

Are the Russkies still producing and using these illegal gases?

liddelljohn
    Participant

I was in aTelephone exchange switch room in 1997 which had an electrical fire we had 35 seconds to get out before the halon system let loose , scary!

i think the sub is an Akula which means its not new… probably undergone a refit and I doubt the Russian military give a toss about western regulations on non CFC gases etc.

Jed
    Participant

Halon is another gas that has now been outlawed for several years as a fire suppresant due to its effects on human health.

Are the Russkies still producing and using these illegal gases?

The Montreal Protocol 1994 stated that halogen production and use be stopped due to its ozone depleting qualities…though of course there are health issues too.
    Only "essential users" can still utilize BTM, BCF,etc for fire fighting and that would include the military. Though I did read in the fire press years ago that Russia was still producing halogens as extinguishants which was against the Protocol…if they ever signed up to it of course. I’m surprised that they used Freon as BTM has a higher inhibitory factor and is more efficient. I would imagine like most things in life it was cost that lead to its use.
    Either way 20 unfortunate people lost their lives due to it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar