Home Forums ROV ROV Pay Rates Fugro – Rovtech pay rates?

Fugro – Rovtech pay rates?

Home Forums ROV ROV Pay Rates Fugro – Rovtech pay rates?

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 363 total)
  • Author
    luckyjim37
    Participant

Pilot (4 grades), Salary £17k-£24k, Offshore allowance £80-£110

Supervisor (2 grades), Salary £26k-£27k, Offshore allowance £145-155

SubEng (3 grades), Salary £26k-£29k, Offshore allowance £130-£150

Superintendent (3 grades), Salary £30k-£36.5k, Offshore allowance £170

Is this correct as it seems to me that a sub eng earns more than a low level supervisor.

I thought you got more as you went up the ladder but I could be wrong. As for the lets get everyone on day rate argument well that is a load of crap some people like maybe even need the stability of a steady income a salary gives as opposed to stressing about doing enough days to be paid in time to cover bills and the such like.

As for not wanting agency workers the demand for agency workers is through the roof why would people want to work for companies when they get paid more through an agency. As a Pilot tech on my last job I was on £5 a day more than the supervisor there is no incentive to join a company under those conditions.

And before it all kicks off there are some good agency workers out there and some bad ones just as there are some good company workers and some bad ones so please do not start that old argument again.

Sarcy
    Participant

I have always had a problem with the Sub Eng grade, the argument for it being used was that some good pilots were wanting more money but felt that they were not ready to take the responsibility of supervising so the Sub Eng grade came in with basically the same basic salary as a supervisor but a tenner less on the day rate.

My problem is that if you want the money then accept the responsibility that comes with the grade.

Bacaruda
    Participant

I’ve heard that there is alot of Supv 1’s pissed off with it, because according to the matrix you can be a Subeng 1 or a Supv 1 at the 5 year point. Subeng 1 more money and no responsibility or Supv 1 less money and more responsibility. You then again according to the matrix you have to wait 2 years before Supt 3 comes along which is only a few grand more than a Subeng 1.

Crazy

Ray Shields
    Participant

Is this correct as it seems to me that a sub eng earns more than a low level supervisor.

I thought you got more as you went up the ladder but I could be wrong.

I believe the structure is:-

Sub1
    Super1
    Sub2
    Super2
    Sub3

and personnel can either go up the Supervisor line or the SubEng line (or cross from one side to the other, a Supervisor 1 can be promoted to SubEng 1).

I agree with Sarcy about Sub Engineers basically being better paid pilots – that is the reality of a lot of Sub Eng just now but that is not what a Sub Eng is there for. The Sub Eng HAS responsibilities, its just that most of them won’t take them on; he is responsible for the technical side of the ROV system, he is also expected to run a night shift. Its getting them to take the responsibilites that been difficult.

We had too many Sub Eng’s who would refuse to do this "unles Im paid as a Supervisor", well guess what you are now so lets see you do the job or take a cut back down to Pilot.

Bacaruda
    Participant

Sorry but how can a Supv 1 be promoted to Subeng 1. Lets give up being a day supv and go back to a night supv eh !, thats a promotion ?.

Sarcy
    Participant

the sub eng is responsible for the technical side of the ROV? Give me a break, they were not big enough to take on the responsibility of supervising and are now on easy street being paid the same or more than those that are supervising – the ones I have worked with recently just do the usual and fly the ROV, they might do some paperwork if you are lucky.

They want the money, let them take the responsibility that should go with it.

Ray Shields
    Participant

the sub eng is responsible for the technical side of the ROV? Give me a break, they were not big enough to take on the responsibility of supervising and are now on easy street being paid the same or more than those that are supervising – the ones I have worked with recently just do the usual and fly the ROV, they might do some paperwork if you are lucky.

They want the money, let them take the responsibility that should go with it.

Read what I said again, I agree that is what most Sub eng’s now DO.
    I am saying its what they are SUPPOSED to do. What does the escription say they should do:
    Deputise for Supervisor
    Implement and co ordinate PMS systems
    Have good technical knowledge of ROV systems
    Carry out reterm without supervision
    Ability to train personnel at lower levels
    Manage and carry out risk assessments and toolbox talks
    Ability to identify and repair all ROV faults
    Ability to take a lead role in solving technical issues

If they want the money they should be capable of doing the job. If they are not capable of doing the job, as laid down in their new descriptions with their new pay scale, they should be put down to the level they are capable of doing. This is where appraisals should be carried out against a persons job description, but if the Supervisor wont do appraisals, people will stay in jobs they are not capable of doing.

I believe the idea behind all of this was to have 2 career paths, one for peole who were good at supervising and dealing with the Client, and one that is good technically – they should be two even sides of the same level. I can kind of see the logic to it but I do not necessarily agree with it as I do not feel that most Sub Eng’s of today have the same level of responsibility.

Although there is a lot more to it than that, you dont get paid money just to be responsible – no point in being responsible if you dont have the technical capability.

I am still of the old school where you should be a pilot, then sub eng and then a Supervisor. Then, in theory, you should then have a Supervisor who can fly and fix the ROV as well as deal with the Client.

The way its supposed to be!

But then we’re back to the old discussion of "is ROV knowledge being lost offshore", we dont have oscilloscopes anymore, we dont replace components on boards anymore. Hell some people wont even splice a 3 wire light cable offshore, they just order a new one from base.

Sarcy
    Participant

I love digital systems, no components just whole boards to replace.

I still think the sub eng should be the level below a supervisor, if it comes to supervising then an extra tenner a day would be paid. To have a grade that is on more money but less responsibility is stupid.

Work through the grades not choose a separate career path, you will be suggesting there should be separate hydraulic and electronic skills next.

Ray Shields
    Participant

I love digital systems, no components just whole boards to replace….

I still think the sub eng should be the level below a supervisor, if it comes to supervising then an extra tenner a day would be paid. To have a grade that is on more money but less responsibility is stupid.

Work through the grades not choose a separate career path, you will be suggesting there should be separate hydraulic and electronic skills next.

You can still change ICs on a digital system.

I’m quite sure I am AGREEING with what you say, why would I suggest there shoudl be seperate hydraulic and electrical? I do NOT agree with the seperate Supervisor and Sub Eng paths.

Sarcy
    Participant

Stop taking things so personal, I was trying to be a bit sarcastic.

Mrhappy
    Participant

subsea 7 rates now above those that are being quoted here.

Ray Shields
    Participant

subsea 7 rates now above those that are being quoted here.

Would you mind quoting what the figures are then?

Mrhappy
    Participant

Supervisor 28k and 190 a day

truered
    Participant

assuming its WROV we are on about take for example a supt1 rate basicly (a supervisor (to everyone else outside fugro)) 36.5k +170 p/d, for say 200 days the fugro rate is higher. 🙄

luckyjim37
    Participant

Seems like there is a lot of positions being created and that is for a couple of reasons in my mind.

One: to keep wages down so the company makes more profit

Two: to confuse the general workforce at large therfore disguising the fact that everyone is on different pay packets

Three: all of the reasons Ray has quoted in the true company line.

Whatever it is I agree with Ray (Twice in a week that is worrying) There should be a Pilot/Tech who could be a trainee

A sub engineer who trains the tech and deals with the maintenance side of the vehicle

A supervisor who sorts the majority of the paperwork liases with the client and works with the vehicle either flying or fixing with the other two.

I suppose due to two system vessels with bigger crews there will be some grey areas between systems and what is expected so there could be some clever thinking in the plan to have people who are more maintenance orientated and other guys who are more aimed at planning the operations and dealing with manpower shifts and the client.

Has Fugro spotted the way ahead for the industry. Lets face it we have all worked with people who can keep the client happy and can fly the vehicle like a top gun pilot but really you do not want them ever to pick up a spanner as they are scary.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 363 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar