Home Forums General General Board Greetings from Victoria, BC

Greetings from Victoria, BC

Home Forums General General Board Greetings from Victoria, BC

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Tyler
    Participant

Just wanted to introduce myself as I just joined the board. I am a ROV pilot with the Canadian Navy. We operate a few different ROV’s for inspection, identification and recovery work. I have been working with ROV’s for 2 years now. We also do work with sidescan sonar and AUV’s.

I am hoping to find more info on the civilian side of the business. I am also an avid technical diver.

Tyler Newman
    Victoria, BC

Wade Berglund
    Participant

Hello there

Go to the forum under the newbie section and read the information there, it could answer allot of your questions and get you started. Also go to the FAQ and look at those, it could help.

Good luck

Trimtank

James McLauchlan
    Participant

I am hoping to find more info on the civilian side of the business.

Tyler Newman
    Victoria, BC

Hi Tyler

Welcome. :tup:

You should pick up quite a bit of what you need around here. Some positive and some negative. I wouldn’t jump ship just yet though as things are getting quieter.

best regards
    James Mc

Wade Berglund
    Participant

Hey Tyler

Just to follow up on my previous post….welcome, glad to see a fellow Canadian taking the step to ROV’s.

I left the Canadian Navy after 23 yrs, I was an NET(A)…… (Sonar) and spent 17yrs in submarines.

I mirror what James has said, things are a bit bleak at the moment, but not diabolical. Depending on what trade you were and what quals you have you shouldn’t have any problems. But things are tough. It took me nearly 7 months of banging on doors (5 month looking at this forum, and understanding the business before my first post).
    Once I got a contract in hand I then put my release in.

Cheers

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Good to see military types working things out together. Doesn’t happen too much when you leave.

Small world. My old man lives in Victoria. Runs Oak Bay Sailing School.

best regards
    James Mc

K2
    Participant

Tyler

Not sure if it’s still there but Global Marine had a cable ship stationed at Ogden Point for years. Take a look, if it’s there they’ll have a trencher for you to look at and I’m sure the guys onboard will answer some of the questions you may have.

Good Luck

Wade Berglund
    Participant

Check your PM’s Tyler

Cheers

Trimtank

Cabledog
    Participant

James,

A lot of my family live in Victoria, I was there for quite a while a few years ago and use to do a fair bit of sailing out of Oak Bay. Like you said samall world.

TTFN 😀

Dog

Tyler
    Participant

Tyler

Not sure if it’s still there but Global Marine had a cable ship stationed at Ogden Point for years. Take a look, if it’s there they’ll have a trencher for you to look at and I’m sure the guys onboard will answer some of the questions you may have.

Good Luck

I think it’s out on a job at the moment, haven’t seen it in quite a while. I’m not making plans to leave the military as of yet, just trying to compare notes. I know we tedn to do things a little "differently". Some of our technology is a little dated as well.

Here’s a little background of our team:

– 3-4 man team, mission dependant
    – Mainly operate an ISE Trailblazer 25 inspection vehicle
    – Also operate Phantom, K-Ster and 2 newly acquired Video Rays 🙄
    – Run various Klein SSS
    – Have an ROV trainer for Hysub50, Trailblazer25 and Phantom

Subhuman
    Participant

Hi Tyler
    It is a small world eh! I live in Victoria and have a boat at the Oak Bay Marina. There are several local companies that might be of interest to you. Try contacting the Ropos team in Pat Bay, or calling Triton Logging.
    Check your PM
    🙂

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Firstly my apologies for running off topic but too many coincidences here to let go unsaid.

All I can say is when any of you guys are next at Oak Bay Marina say hi to my Dad eh? He’s well known in the marina coffee shop. His name is Jim McLauchlan. He’s about 50 years old with 72 years of experience 😉

At his tender age he’s still sailing and still teaching Offshore skipper courses!

James McLauchlan
    Participant

James,

A lot of my family live in Victoria, I was there for quite a while a few years ago and use to do a fair bit of sailing out of Oak Bay. Like you said samall world.

TTFN 😀

Dog

Hey Dog, Tyler, Subhuman… I’m sure Gina and I will be in Vic again at some point… I’ll drop you guys a PM when we next head in that direction.
    Might be able to arrange a meet.. aka dinner/beers/wine 🙂

Hows the Salmon Kings doing?

Wade Berglund
    Participant

James

My family live in Cobble Hill and I find myself heading back to the Island on a regular basis…I will say hi to your dad next time I head back from the East coast.

Sorry for off topic conversation…but it is a small world.

Cheers

James McLauchlan
    Participant

The Wave Venture is the Station Ship that shows as being based in Vic. All info in the attached .pdf

wave_venture_467.pdf
     Description: The Wave Venture is the Station Ship that shows as being based in Vic. All info in the attached .pdf
     Filename: wave_venture_467.pdf

Download

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar