Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Help PLS !!!

Help PLS !!!

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Help PLS !!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    darek
    Participant

hi all

I’ve been thinking about rov course and got few questions to all you experienced guys in this forum .I’ve been reading a bit here and there and they saying now it’s not a good time to start any course because of the oil prices.Please can you tell me :

i have no experience in this sector some companies provide premium rov courses with Hydraulics, Electronics, Electricity & High Voltage is that enough to get a start with rov as a trainee ??

currently i’m working as a welder 🙂 before warehouse manager so totally different planet 🙂 no offshore experience whatsoever, do i have any chance to start rov career ??don’t want to spend a lot of money and not be able to find a job

i need to do bosiet and huet as well right ?

thank you very much for all your opinions

regards

Des_b
    Participant

Sorry mate

but its all on here in black and white…its not a good time and Im sure it will go on for quite a bit longer.

No one can tell you – its your choice.

It took me 6-8 months to decide to work offshore but that was 8yrs ago and times were better.

Read the info and then make up your own mind.

deepseacon
    Participant

To Help you if you do decide in the future to do ROV would be a good idea to work as a Welder offshore first.

But that would depend somewhat on the region you will seek offshore work as for Welding and what type of welding and if can get coded etc.

You wont see any increase in ROV operations for the next 6 months for sure.

And I would say 2016 will be useless for most but companies always take trainees on to keep costs down in hard times so you never know.

Plough work always needs good welders

Best time to do a Course if one is going to do one is when less people are doing them and some offer discounts.

To work in ROV you need Survival but also sometimes you need a STCW95 or even some a GWO Survival and OGUK medical is often good enough but ENG1 and others as well.

If your a good fabricator and welder Mechanical Fitting would come easy so look at Hydraulics course for more skilling Certs like City and Guilds which are recognized rather than some made up organization.

Rovned2
    Participant

To Help you if you do decide in the future to do ROV would be a good idea to work as a Welder offshore first.

But that would depend somewhat on the region you will seek offshore work as for Welding and what type of welding and if can get coded etc.

You wont see any increase in ROV operations for the next 6 months for sure.

And I would say 2016 will be useless for most but companies always take trainees on to keep costs down in hard times so you never know.

Plough work always needs good welders

Best time to do a Course if one is going to do one is when less people are doing them and some offer discounts.

To work in ROV you need Survival but also sometimes you need a STCW95 or even some a GWO Survival and OGUK medical is often good enough but ENG1 and others as well.

If your a good fabricator and welder Mechanical Fitting would come easy so look at Hydraulics course for more skilling Certs like City and Guilds which are recognized rather than some made up organization.

What planet are you living on?

There are good , experienced lads with 10 years- plus experience who can’t get work. Rigs are cold-stacked and platforms are going from 2 and 3 rotations to 3 and 3 to cut staff.
    DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT TRYING TO GET A JOB OFFSHORE AT THE MOMENT!
    Keep your money, don’t believe anything the training schools tell you,unless it’s that you have no chance of employment.
    This sounds harsh but the thought of someone blowing thousands of pounds on courses with no chance of employment after being encouraged by some f#ckwit from a training school really winds me up.

darek
    Participant

thanks for all your honest opinions guys

darek
    Participant

due to pretty bad situation i found a pretty good deal for rov course for about 7500 euros

darek
    Participant

forgot about the link 🙂

http://www.rovs.eu/

but it’s still 7500 euros plus other expenses like accommodation ,food ,flights etc.

Paul Bond
    Participant

Send me your 7500 euros and i can go on holiday while you will still have the same chance of getting a start as you would had you spent the money on a course!
    PM me if you want my bank details.
    (Don’t let your dream blind you about the realities of the job)

Ray Shields
    Participant

darekryt,

have you read through what is bein said and what is happening offshore just now? how can paying someone 7500 euros be a good deal?

Companies are laying off experienced ROV prople in the thousands, WHAT makes you think paying a company 7500 Euros is going to do to get you started?

Even when times were good, only a small handful of people who did training school courses managed to get work.

All we can do is give advice, it’s your money, if you want to waste it, I would suggest giving it to a charity, it will have as much help getting you a go but at least it wont be totally wasted!

darek
    Participant

i understand what all you guys are saying it’s not a good time to do that course , i’m just saying that right now are some good deals that’s all , i’m not saying i will go and pay them them to start this course if all you experienced guys are saying to hold on with it then i will 🙂

darek
    Participant

maybe i will just try to do bosiet and huet and try to get to offshore as a welder for now and wait with rov

liddelljohn
    Participant

maybe i will just try to do bosiet and huet and try to get to offshore as a welder for now and wait with rov

That would be the sensible and cheaper option ,, but remember there are also a lot of offshore quulified welders out of work at the moment and the companies will always take a known guy first ,, DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON A ROV COURSE

darek
    Participant

ok thanks , had one offer few months ago but didn’t have bosiet and huet 🙁

deepseacon
    Participant

So do the OGUK medical with shoulder width

then the survival and mist and CA – EBS

if it’s the North Sea Sectors you will try.

darek
    Participant

thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar