Home Forums General General Board History in the making.

History in the making.

Home Forums General General Board History in the making.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Donnie Cameron
    Participant

James Cameron has touched down in Challenger Deep the deepest region in all the worlds oceans!
    Follow the expedition at:

http://deepseachallenge.com

Donald Faulds
    Participant

Cameron self-promotion. A man goes to the bottom of the sea for a few minutes, risks his life etc – an ROV could have been down there for days. (Actually ROVs have been down there quite a few times but it doesn’t make for great news headlines).

Donnie Cameron
    Participant

Here are the facts:
    Japans Kaiko ROV (now lost) has been there and last year Nereus from the Woods Hole Oceanagraphic Institute made it too. So it has only been visited twice by ROVs. Camerons submersible was deployed from Mermaid Sapphire which is an ROV vessel, many of the people involved in the devopement and running of the submersible are ROV people. The ROV onboard Mermaid Sapphire has been fitted with 3D cameras and has footage of Camerons Submersable "DeepSea Challenger" during the testing phases and will continue to collect images when DeepSea Challenger is diving within it’s depth range. The ROV personnels involvement in this expedition has been pivotal and that’s why I posted on here. He was on the seabed for a few hours collecting data and samples not a couple of minutes as suggested.

deepseacon
    Participant

Nice to see Paul Allens Octopus is on the scene as well.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Hey Pondlife,

Thanks for the background information. Interesting reading :tup:

Donnie Cameron
    Participant

Thanks James.
    The whole expedition has been incredible to date and it’s far from over yet!
    Keep up to date on:
    http://deepseachallenge.com

Donald Faulds
    Participant

Having a man inside a steel ball looking at camera monitors and peering out a little port hole makes good TV. I would rather have the man on the surface looking at those monitors over a fibreoptic link.

When Piccard and Walsh did it in the Trieste all those years ago, it was the only posssible way.

But, hey, everyone invloved is having fun and it is a massive engineering achievement. Enjoy the moment!

Donnie Cameron
    Participant

You hit the nail on the head when you acknowlege the engineering achievements. Much of this engineering will be the norm in our industry in a few years time I’m sure as oil and gas exploration goes deeper and deeper. Great tv? Maybe but the bigger picture is……..bigger! Enjoy the moment…no relish making history.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Here are the facts:
    Japans Kaiko ROV (now lost) has been there and last year Nereus from the Woods Hole Oceanagraphic Institute made it too. So it has only been visited twice by ROVs. Camerons submersible was deployed from Mermaid Sapphire which is an ROV vessel, many of the people involved in the devopement and running of the submersible are ROV people. The ROV onboard Mermaid Sapphire has been fitted with 3D cameras and has footage of Camerons Submersable "DeepSea Challenger" during the testing phases and will continue to collect images when DeepSea Challenger is diving within it’s depth range. The ROV personnels involvement in this expedition has been pivotal and that’s why I posted on here. He was on the seabed for a few hours collecting data and samples not a couple of minutes as suggested.

Once again, well done dudes!!!

Mike Kidd
    Participant

Maybe we will all get a manned submersible on these deep water wells so that the Company man can go down and look for himself and keep the f*ck out of the shack 😀

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Maybe we will all get a manned submersible on these deep water wells so that the Company man can go down and look for himself and keep the f*ck out of the shack 😀

Bril !!!!

Donnie Cameron
    Participant

I think that’s a great idea Flycatcher. I’ll ask James Cameron what the dayrate will be for Deepsea Challenger 😀
    We had Don Walsh from The Trieste flying the ROV on Mermaid Sapphire the other day! Now that was a moment to remember. He’s an incredible man, a real living legend. He took the time to talk to everyone onboard and kept us riveted with tales of his many adventures.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

I think that’s a great idea Flycatcher. I’ll ask James Cameron what the dayrate will be for Deepsea Challenger 😀
    We had Don Walsh from The Trieste flying the ROV on Mermaid Sapphire the other day! Now that was a moment to remember. He’s an incredible man, a real living legend. He took the time to talk to everyone onboard and kept us riveted with tales of his many adventures.

😉 :tup:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar