Home Forums General General Board How do you get a Seaman’s Book in Australia

How do you get a Seaman’s Book in Australia

Home Forums General General Board How do you get a Seaman’s Book in Australia

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    AARON
    Participant

Folks

I’m trying to obtain a Seaman’s Discharge Book in Australia without much luck. Does anyone know how to get one in Australia?

Cheers

Feral
    Participant

Hey Azza,

Been having the same problems myself for the past 8 years. I have just received an email regarding this from AMSA. I have been told that a notice regarding this issue will be posted at the following link in the next week or two.

http://www.amsa.gov.au/shipping_safety/marine_notices/index.asp

🙂

AARON
    Participant

Feral,
    Thanks for that I’m sure that some one must be intrested in that info. I have contacted most gov angencies and they had no idea. The department of P&I have an Australian version which is similar although it is used for seatime within Australian Waters only and doesn’t appear to be upto immigration/overseas travel standards.

I will wait for AMSA to posting.

Cheers.

ROVSKI
    Participant

Hey guys

Let me enlighten you Seamens books are issued corresponding to Vessel port of Registration. So if you are working on a Brittish Registered Vessel or a Singapore Registered Vessel then you apply to that Country.

I have a Brittish Seamens book and most people get a Panamanian Seamens Book. You need a letter from a sponsoring Company stating your position on Vessel and Vessels name and port of Regisration some Photos and a completed application form.

c
    Participant
    Micbeth
    Participant

Hey guys

Let me enlighten you Seamens books are issued corresponding to Vessel port of Registration. So if you are working on a Brittish Registered Vessel or a Singapore Registered Vessel then you apply to that Country.

The last time I saw an application for a British Seaman’s book, which was a few years ago, it had a list of nationalities not eligible for a British book. One of these nationalities was Australian. Quite a few Aussies work for UK based companies and agencies, and if they need a seaman’s book a British one is not available for them. I would assume this is the reason for the original question that started the thread.

ROVRatt
    Participant

Rovski wrote:

Let me enlighten you Seamens books are issued corresponding to Vessel port of Registration.

Not neccesarily. Some countries issue a seamans book if you are a citizen of that country and can produce your medical certificate, survival certificate and a letter from your employer stating that you are serving at sea. These countries rquire a seamans book to be kept current for tax purposes as seamen serving in certain categories for a certain amount of time a year are tax exempt.

I have served on American, Vanuatu, French, Norwegian, British and Nassau registered vessels and do not have seamans book of those countries. I have the home country issued seamans book.

rovgreg
    Participant

I am a Australian Passport Holder and I just got a Brittish seamens book. I filled out the form using my Australian address and passport details attached letter from company and fee sent it off and 6 weeks latter it apeared in mail box as a registered mail Item.

Also Last company I was working for has requested all there staff who don’t have a seamens book to apply for one through the Panamanian Embassy as vessel has just changed port of registration.

I have also worked with people who have had caymen Island seamens book.

Does AMSA have a recognised Maritime Certificate for ROV that they issue.

Also they still need letters from Shipping company backing up claims and position.

Just for the record I am the one who put the post in as Rovski as he was still logged on.
    Greg

AARON
    Participant

Gents.

Some intresting information.

"The requirements for the issue of an Australian Seafarer’s Service Book (ASSB) are clearly explained in Marine Notice 03/2009. The issue of a ASSB, for security concerns and control of its use, is linked to the AMSA qualifications system.
    Currently the lowest qualification issued by AMSA is the Certificate of Safety Training (CoST) (this consist of four STCW short courses: Personal Safety Techniques, Personnel Safety & Social Responsibilities, Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting and Elementary First Aid) the holder of such a certificate may apply for an ASSB.
    The course for this qualification takes a little over one week at an AMSA approved college, less if the applicant has completed a recent First Aid course in Australia recognised by AMSA. The CoST course equips the student with the basic safety knowledge to know what to do in an emergency and how to conduct themselves on board ship. Knowledge well worth having. The certificate is also recognised internationally."

This was the reply from Mark Eldon-Roberts
    MANAGER
    SHIP OPERATIONS & QUALIFICATIONS
    MARITIME OPERATIONS DIVISION
    Mark.Eldon-Roberts@amsa.gov.au

In other words as an ROV worker you can’t recieve the Australian Seafarer’s Book unless having further training or can have your HUET and Fire fighting training recongised, which is unlikely.

Once again the Aussie government doesn’t what to assist.

Micbeth
    Participant

I am a Australian Passport Holder and I just got a Brittish seamens book.

That’s good to know. The rules must have changed since I last saw an application form, which was probably more than 10 years ago.

The rest of the stuff posted by Azza is also informative and interesting, it shows how much of a closed shop Australia can be with some things.

rovgreg
    Participant

I just looked back at my scanned application form there is a section with Countries and Australia is on that list. But I filled it all out with information I had and sent it in with supporting letter and received the book.

Maybe it was a christmas present.

I wish you all the best of lucky getting a seamans book but from what I read on the AMSA web site the Aussie one is just a log of trips no good for what you ned it to work in Middle East and such.

Greg

Anonymous

In reply to MicBith,

Australia really is not a "closed shop" in this respect as I have never been asked to provide a Seamans book on any Australian vessel or vessel working in Australian waters. In fact the only place where I have seen the requirement or been asked was the middle-east.

Generally, in our more civilised and congenial part of the world a passport and/or an MSIC (maritime security id card) or some other form of photo id is sufficient when joining a vessel as an ROV crew member. In the future you may well also have to have an appropriate uni0n card seeing as the vast majority of Australian ROV workers are now in the MUA.

All the same I’d be interested in seeing if I could get a UK seamans book (I’m dual British/Australian passport holder) as that does seem to be the pre-requisite in the ME.

Cheers

Anonymous

Just applied for Panamanian book, cost AUD $260 plus medical costs (yes they have a requirement for a separate medical).

Posted off the application and have received an interim certificate, all in all, took less than one week.

The consulate is in Sydney.

PM for any further details required.

Paul Elliott
    Participant

In WA try departmnt of transport and infastructure, in fremantle

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar