Home Forums General General Board how to be a Rov pilot tech 2 in 3 weeks!!

how to be a Rov pilot tech 2 in 3 weeks!!

Home Forums General General Board how to be a Rov pilot tech 2 in 3 weeks!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    blackbeard
    Participant

AMAZING!! straight to p/t 2 in ONLY 3 weeks!!

quote…….

There is presently a worldwide shortage of trained ROV Pilot Technicians.

Work is available in the UK and worldwide.

Very high salary and World Travel (all expenses are paid).

Our Three week course is very competitively priced at only £2760.00

ROV Training:

We are a dedicated ROV training centre; courses are run by ROV supervisors and Engineers with many years experience in the offshore industry

Our standard three week course is based on the guidelines published by IMCA (International Marine Contractors Association) this course will give students the skills required for a position as ROV Pilot/Tech II.

Course objectives:

It is ou r aim to give students the knowledge required to become a competent member of any ROV team.

Instruction will be given on a one to one basis where necessary.

http://therovtrainingcentre.com/?gclid=CKSz-bbl9pcCFQkiagodD3YlCg

What a lot of TOTAL *hite!

liddelljohn
    Participant

Conmen !Liars ! Thieves.

Do not believe the schools promises .

Excableguy
    Participant

Why do IMCA allow these schools to use the logo?

IMCA are not a governing body, but most operators follow or insist on the "guidelines" being followed. Through the associations good work they (IMCA) have taken the mantel as the responsible party for the Marine industries. Most outsiders believe that these schools are audited and approved by IMCA.

IMCA is harmed by this belief. The simple truth is most of these schools would fall at the 1st hurdlE, they are approved by no one!

There are even links on the IMCA website to some of the so called "training establishments". I am sure we have all been offshore with someone who has no trade, no qualifications and just enough common sense to withdraw the required funds from the bank.

Why has almost every major ROV company set up their own training? If the schools were following the guidelines, companies would be saving a fortune, not spending a fortune?

gollach
    Participant

The industry isnt helping itself though, I have builders in at the minute and two of the labourers have handed in thier notice as they are starting
    ‘with a crowd driving those underwater robot thingies’ 🙄 neither has a trade and prooved themselves technically inept when the cement mixer broke down yet they are heading to saudi in a few weeks it seems.

I’m no old hand but I know and value my place in the food chain.

MichaelC
    Participant

I’ve just been reading your report of the ROV training centre and would like to point out that this centre is not claiming to be able to turn mindless idiots in to highly proficient pilot/tech’s, merely to train people to a Pilot/Tech level 2. Much as I can understand your frustrations of having to work with people making your lives harder I’m sure you realise that it’s not the fault of a training centre. Surely it’s better your trainees (who have to come from somewhere) come from an ROV specific training centre than just muddle their way into the offshore industry?

I myself trained recently not with the ROV training centre but with another school who, as with other schools I gather, did nothing to help me get my first offshore work so I contacted these so called “frauds/conmen” and they have kindly taken the time to help get me into work, they have made no false promises, told no lies and certainly not conned me in any way.

This training centre has only recently been started up I believe and therefore, surely can not be judged fairly against or alongside others of its kind.

I personally would like to thank all the staff at the ROV training centre involved in giving me advice and helping me get my first job out here in the Arabian Gulf. I would recommend contacting the ROV training centre to anyone who’s looking for a start in this line of work and wish them all the best. I certainly wish I had found them up and running earlier so that I could have saved some money and taken their course.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Come on people… either post some decent stuff or don’t bother!

Firstly can we try and be a little more constructive when criticising anything.

Comments like:

What a lot of TOTAL *hite or Conmen !Liars ! Thieves. don’t actually achieve much unless you have the facts to prove it.

Only by actually explaining in a constructive manner, why you may feel this way, can people respond like wise.

Also please be aware that whilst ROVworld may not be held responsible for comments posted in the Forum by others, those actually making the posts are entirely responsible for their own comments, some of which might be viewed as illegal in a court of law in some parts of the world.

By posting here you are leaving a record of your thoughts and are expressing yourself in writing. That might be enough for someone to nail you should they wish to take legal action. The fact that you feel you are hiding behind a user name might not be enough protection at the end of the day.

I myself disagree with a number of elements in the text quoted by the OP but have to say that it’s not all TOTAL *hite at all.

best regards
    James Mc

James McLauchlan
    Participant

From the website at: http://therovtrainingcentre.com

There is presently a worldwide shortage of trained ROV Pilot Technicians.

There may well be a shortage of trained ROV technicians but there is most certainly not a shortage of trainees. It is my understanding that the market if flooded with them at the moment.

Work is available in the UK and worldwide.

True, but generally only for time served experienced techs. New qualified trainees will struggle to find work, especially at this time of the year (North Sea) and elsewhere as the price of oil has dropped a lot over the last 6 months. The knock on effect of which is already being felt.

Very high salary and World Travel (all expenses are paid).

Not exactly right: The salary is reasonable but is not Very high when compared to other Hi-Tech industry employees.
    True. Travel is paid by employers.

Our Three week course is very competitively priced at only £2760.00

It might well be competitive on price so no further comment on this.

ROV Training:
    We are a dedicated ROV training centre; courses are run by ROV supervisors and Engineers with many years experience in the offshore industry

As an ROV training school they may well be dedicated to training within the ROV sector so not up for dispute in my mind.
    The supervisors and Engineers running the courses may have many years of experience in the offshore industry so no argument there either.

Our standard three week course is based on the guidelines published by IMCA (International Marine Contractors Association) this course will give students the skills required for a position as ROV Pilot/Tech II.

The course may well be based on IMCA guidelines.
    On skills level achieved I do entirely disagree that any course like this will give students the skills required for a position as ROV Pilot/Tech II.

The course may give students the skills to commence work as a Trainee ROV Pilot Tech but in no way give them the skills required to fill a position as PTII.

Course objectives:

It is our aim to give students the knowledge required to become a competent member of any ROV team.

In as such that, that person may be competent enough to fill a Trainee position but should not be viewed as a competent member of any ROV team until they have served some decent time offshore and are proven to be a competent/productive team member.

Instruction will be given on a one to one basis where necessary.

Fair enough

The rest of the information on the site is relatively generic. The usual offshore pictures, ROV’s and training area prevail.

This is one of many schools that have popped up over recent years and, as much as the owners might like to think differently, appears to fit what is fast becoming the norm for training school websites.

In summary it’s not all *hite nor is it all lies but I would like to see more regulation in the industry on training rather than just leaving it to market forces and a set of unenforced guidelines. Plus, I do have a beef about seeing information implying that students will leave as PTII’s when, offshore, they will clearly not be accepted as PT anything near that for some time to come.

best regards
    James Mc

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Interesting reading James 🙂
    Now waiting for the retorts from the wordly experienced Pilots "twenty years plus" 😀

turtle
    Participant

This is reminiscent of the Glory Days of deep sea diving. "Travel, High Pay, Adventure" ads in glossy scuba mags attracted enough of the gullible to keep a couple dozen dive schools in operation in the US alone. Statistics from the 70’s and 80’s show that only 2 to 3 percent of those who paid for a commercial dive course ever made a paid dive as a professional diver. Has an industry study ever been undertaken which attempts to quantify the success rate of ROV courses? I am an advocate of private commercial ROV training, but only within parameters that specify who is a qualified applicant and what is the likelihood of finding successful placement. A few years ago it was possible to get a foot in the door with a basic intro course alone, but the industry has matured now to the point that some proficiency in the relavent disciplines are a pre requisite first step.

liddelljohn
    Participant

OK maybe Conmen , theives and Liars is a bit strong but 3 years ago when i started in the Yards with Canyon, I had investigated all the commercial training centres in UK , Phillipines and USA.. the downright lies and marketing hype I was given was outrageous ..in the end I decided not to waste £5000+ expenses on a course and talk my way into the ROV business direct with companies .I have since spoken with many guys who say the courses thay paid hard money for were a waste of time .Many of the guys are struggling in this industry because unlike me they had no real technical background .The schools did not really vet them at all , they are commercial organisations that need a constant flow of cash.

outsider
    Participant

Turtle, you are quite correct and in common with the Glory days there is no counter point, other than on this forum where do you see any comments regarding the schools, I’ve pointed people to this forum who have been considering taking one of these courses, so at least they have a chance of understanding the reality.

The main problem is the Recognised by "IMCA" or Exceeds "IMCA Standards" lables that appear on many of these schools web sites, the foolhardy that do these courses (without doing some research) fully believe that they are getting a worthwhile qualification, its not until they stumble across this site that their bubble is burst.

As we are all aware the schools will take anyone willing to part with their hard earned cash irrespective of their technical back ground, until there is a shift in the entry criteria for these schools and a realist approach to the realities of getting employment the situation will not change and we will unfortunatly continue to see posts starting; newly qualified P/T 2 looking for start!

turtle
    Participant

Hi Outsider

Yes the downfall of the private courses is that profit is the primary motive, thus the recruitment for Pilot wannabes that are possibly "blind in one eye, can’t see out of the other" but have the required cash in hand for tuition. But what is the alternative? The big companies are slowly coming around to the value of in house training but this has developed slowly for several reasons. In the past if a great amount of resource was expended on newbies the return was often questionable. Maybe 50 percent decided, after 4 to 8 weeks onshore training, that the offshore life was not for them. The companies that did NOT invest in training and did not have that overhead could afford to pay 5% more in wage to "steal" those trained by the in-house training companies.

I agree there should be some oversight on use of "IMCA" or "IMCA Standards" but deciding who is the responsible authority on this is another can of worms. Government? They’re the ones that say my tomatos are "Organic" and my vitamins are "FDA approved". Buyer beware. If a candidate is serious enough to invest time and money in pursuit of a career he/she must assume responsibility for doing his homework before putting the money on the line.

Training for entry level personnel : Everybody wants it. Few wish to be responsible for setting industry standards, accepting responsibility for
    compliance, and all wish that "somebody else" will pay for it all. And I do not believe you will find agreement amongst the employers on the best approach. Some will endorse industry wide standards, transportable from employer to employer. Others want personnel trained exclusively on their own equipment and to heck with what a former employee may be worth to the competitor.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar