Home Forums ROV Self/Home Build ROV Discussions I’m building a ROV.

I’m building a ROV.

Home Forums ROV Self/Home Build ROV Discussions I’m building a ROV.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Gary Clarke
    Participant

Hi, i’ve worked with computers for years and have some basic electronics and light-machining experience and plan to build a mini observation ROV for undersea exploring down to 200M.

I’ve never piloted one before so i hope it’s okay to log my build journey here, being a novice, i suspect this would be a good place for criticism since it’s a pilots forum.

I’m in the design stage and still reading/video-watching to see what other builder’s have done.

Cheers, Gary.

Gary Clarke
    Participant

I’ve gone for 8 thrusters, four in centre for vertical and 1 at each corner at 45 degrees.

Managed to get the arduino controlling a single brushless motor, the A2212/13T (the uno can handle up to 12) using a ps3 controller in forward and reverse, not a lot of info on the right PWM speeds to send to the ESC so a bit of trial and error there.

Next job is to make a test-frame for the motors and code the motor-control.

Cheers, Gary.

Gary Clarke
    Participant

After thinking through power requirements, battery-space etc im now going for a 5-thruster design, four on the corners at 45 degrees and one slightly forward of centre for up/down/pitch.

The motor and ESC are rated for 10A but at full throttle (in either forward or reverse) only 0.3A is being used (at 7.4V).

Prototype video here :

If anyone has any ideas as to why full power isnt being used at full throttle id be very grateful to ehar them as this has had me stumped for a couple of days.

Cheers, Gary.

Gary Clarke
    Participant

Now i feel stupid, someone pointed out that my test wasnt underwater so the motor was doing very little work so very little current draw :/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar