Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Is it worth it?

Is it worth it?

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Is it worth it?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    squidjamin
    Participant

I have read through these forums with great interest and I think it is a great site but I am still unsure of of a few things. I am an Electrical & Controls Technician with 10+ experience in this field. I am 31 and would very much like to embark on a career as an ROV Pilot/Tech. I was planning to do the Offshore Survival Course inc. Norway (825GBP) & get an Offshore Medical inc. Norway (120GBP) and then start applying to all the main companys to become a Trainee. After reading all the doom & gloom on this website about ‘newbees’ & ‘wanabees’ is it worth it or will I be wasting my time and, more importantly, money? This truly would be a dream career for me and I would even part with the 3500GBP for an ROV Pilot/Tech Course if I thought it would help. Although after reading this site they sound like a waste of time. I genuinely would like some honest feedback on what to do. Should I go for it, or just forget it and keep dreaming?

ROV_HAND
    Participant

Mamas, don’t let your babies grow up to be ROV HANDS.
    Don’t let ’em splice fibers or drive them ole’ hydraulic pieces of junk.
    Let ’em be doctors and lawyers and such.

Just kidding.. you never know until you try it..
    Yes, the industry is slow right now !
    Most of us are used to "Feast or Famine."

Sounds like with your background you would be good as an "Insturment Technician",
    (if that is not what you are doing already) which are always high in demand on Oil Rigs and Refineries..

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Nice pic but your ops. mgr. and safety guy will get you on not wearing full PPE…

rovnumpty
    Participant

squidjamin

I think what rov-hand is saying is that trying to break into the rov industry at the present time is a bigger gamble than usual, even with your excellent technical background.

The industry has just gone through two years of excessive expansion on the back of very high oil prices, meaning there has been a huge influx of trainees into the industry. Now that things have quietened down a bit, there’s been a certain amount of ‘cost saving’ going on in most companies, the forefront of this being the stopping of any new hiring and training programs.

I’d suggest getting your survival and medical, as it wil make you more attractive to prospective employers, then start applying for anything offshore.

With your background, look at the controls side of things. It may have changed a bit now, but there was a huge shortage of controls guys. If you get a start at this, at least it will give a feel for offshore – if your going to like it or not and a foot in the door. Then, if you decide you still want to go into ROVs, you’ll be ideally situated for the next time it picks up a bit.

Scott

I would say the picture is the GOM. Funny how certain safety rules don’t seem to have made it to your former side of the pond yet.

Ray Shields
    Participant

I would agree with rovnumpty apart from I disagree that you should spend your own cash getting your offshore survival and medical.

The first thing to do is to apply for ROV Trainee jobs. Most of the larger companies that I know of dont look twice whether someone already has these, they already expect to have to put all new guys through it, so why waste your own money? Qualifications and experience, thats the nunber one point.

Fair enough, if you apply and dont get anywhere then maybe worth considering but surely nothing to lose (apart from the £945 you would lay out if you spend that and get a job only to find you would have got that job anyway!)

Have a look at the link over on the left in the FAQ section for "How To Layout Your CV" for some assistance in doing a CV for offshore.

ROV_HAND
    Participant

I agree , don’t waste your money on the Courses…let who ever hires you do that..you might pay for the wrong course, or some companies might require Opito certified-fire fighting, or something like that , then you would have to take it all over again..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar