Home Forums General General Board Is there much welding required with Rov’s

Is there much welding required with Rov’s

Home Forums General General Board Is there much welding required with Rov’s

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    S J Poole
    Participant

Just interested to know if there are many weld repairs made to a ROV’s or if things are fabricated as attachments , using any welding techniques such as arc or Stainless tig

Ray Shields
    Participant

Apart from some people working as part of a trenching ROV, there is generally no welding carried out by the ROV crew.

Brackets and frames do break but they are either repaired by replacement, by the base or by the rig or vessel welder. As you generally have to be a coded welder having someone on the crew who can weld is normally not much of an advantage because 1) the ROV wont have a welding machine and 2) the ROV guy will not be able to stay current with his welding certification to be allowed to do it.

For most ROV systems there is a core frame in the centre and all the stuff on the outside is bolted on to make replacement easier.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Being able to weld Aluminium helps …………… and plastic 😀
    Most ROV’s going through thrusters tend to be a bit complicated to weld But I’m sure someone with skill and many hours of dedication could prove me wrong ! 😀

S J Poole
    Participant

Aluminium is a piece of cake to weld , plastic welding i think is relatively easy also , just requires a expensive machine and a bit of practice

I suppose soldering would be a much more important skill than just general welding.

Cant really understand why you would need to be coded to weld an rov frame or repair any bits of it, i thought coding was more for pipe welding and also welding of structures people walk on, i guess they just want to be sure its a quality weld thats done.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Cant really understand why you would need to be coded to weld an rov frame or repair any bits of it, i thought coding was more for pipe welding and also welding of structures people walk on, i guess they just want to be sure its a quality weld thats done.

There are lift points on an ROV, in addition the frame is integral to the overall structure of the vehicle.. especially Work Class ROV’s.. You just can’t weld with Jo that learned to weld on Dads farm tractor and hope to get away with it!

S J Poole
    Participant

I understand what you mean James , there is a big difference with welding something professionally rather than your diy welds.

So your right and when you have a bit of kit that costs huge ££££, and with some slime bucket oil company manager barking orders at you, would you really want to risk some half assed farmer welding the lifting brackets or frame 🙂 lol

So fair point

Have a good weekend

SJP17

Andy Shiers
    Participant

So , …………… Farmers cannot become ROV pilots then ? 😕

Ray Shields
    Participant

I know at least one!

Andy
    Participant

I know at least one!

He works on the subsea ploughs….

Andy Shiers
    Participant

😀

Cowboy
    Participant

I know at least one!

Indeed you do Ray :tup: , and by all accounts he’s a damn good welder! (who happened to learn to weld on a farm)

So less of the "half assed farmer welds" comments gentlemen. Being an offshore ROV superstar 🙄 doesn’t make you any better than the people who provide you with your food.

Pull your heads out of your arses.

T-Boy
    Participant

Oooh aarrrrh! Farmers can weld, I’ll have ye know (Sound more like a pirate, I know).

You will find generally that there is not oo much welding involved on ROV’s these days, although it does depend on how far they have been dropped in the first place!
    Most bits and pieces can be bolted on using Heath Robinson bracket techniques!

I was taught by a Pigeon how to weld, and you can spot my handywork all round the orld, especially on these latest generation Chinese ships that are coming into service 😆

Andy Shiers
    Participant

I would think being called Half-Assed farmer is quite a compliment ! 😕 It’s better than being called a Fat Assed farmer 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar