Home Forums General Financial, Tax and Insurance is this a rip off??

is this a rip off??

Home Forums General Financial, Tax and Insurance is this a rip off??

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    bt
    Participant

Just came accross this on proffs site??
    I would think 7.5% charge of money back from seamans tax return to be a bit much???

http://www.proffshoreservices.com/seafarers-deductions.asp

James McLauchlan
    Participant

I read that as 7.5% of the tax claimed, not 7.5% of your total earnings, which some may assume.

So, if they successfully claim back 20k in tax through their services, on your behalf, it would cost you £1,500. They must pay somebody to do this and you end up better off to the tune of £18,500.

It’s your call if you think that is a rip off or not. If you do, engage an accountant and go that route instead.

The idea has merit, but freedom of choice prevails.

bt
    Participant

hello
    Well i think it`s a rip off as other tax agency`s like seatax charge around £168 for the same service.

That`s a big difference don`t you think. unless they are doing something extra but i can`t see what.

just thought i`d highlight it.

Steve White
    Participant

Those level of fees are completely unwarranted. Our service is fixed at £135 and that accurately reflects the level of work required.

bt
    Participant

i`m glad you agree Your Tax Office.
    It makes it even more unwarranted when you see it`s a long established rov agency that is advertising this on thier site.
    i can see why people are moaning about the service from agencies in general.

Paul Reid
    Participant

Dear All,

After reading the posts I thought it was best to respond.

Just wanted to make it clear, PROFFS do not charge anything for the service. We thought it may help personnel who do claim SED, PROFFS do not at any point get involved with the claim, should any one contact PROFFS in regards to this we collect their contact details and pass on.

We have since talked with the accountants and advised the prices are high. They will now quote individuals on a case by case basis, and will only charge should claim be successful.

At no point do we hard sell anything, and I’m sure any personnel currently contracted through us would vouch for this.

Kind regards, PROFFS.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

We have since talked with the accountants and advised the prices are high. They will now quote individuals on a case by case basis, and will only charge should claim be successful.

Thanks for the clarification and, I assume, for adjusting the content on the page that the above link takes you to.

Paul Reid
    Participant

Hi James,

The PROFFS site has been updated.

Kind regards, PROFFS

Ray Shields
    Participant

Those level of fees are completely unwarranted. Our service is fixed at £135 and that accurately reflects the level of work required.

Do you not say on another post it is £157 plus VAT ( why say plus VAT when we have to pay it anyway = £184.48 )

Thanks to Proffs for clarifying.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

The point has been made.

Plenty of kudos goes to Proffs for clarifying (in this open Forum) their views on this.

I sincerely wish other companies would be so open!

bt
    Participant

Thanks for the clarity but i find it hard to believe a long established ROV agency like yourself didn`t think the fees were high before advertising it on your site.

I would myself advice contractors to go to company`s like "your tax office" and "seatax" and company`s a like where fees are a flat rate for SED claims.

Thanks fo replying

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘is this a rip off??’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar