Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training Is this site negative when it comes to Rookie advice?

Is this site negative when it comes to Rookie advice?

Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training Is this site negative when it comes to Rookie advice?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    James McLauchlan
    Participant

On many occasions I have seen comments indicating that the regular posters (with years of offshore experience) at ROVworld.com Forums have a negative attitude towards people looking to get into the industry and asking for advice on whether to take an ROV training course or not.

When people read what they did not want to read (i.e. don’t waste your money) they then start to suggest that the response is generally negative around here.

Now, today… just take a look at the amount of posts in the most recent section and they are virtually all from people looking for their first job.

Did the course six months ago and still looking for my first job is one opening gambit, another reads along similar lines.

The site is beginning to see a lot of these posts and for a very good reason.

Despite it being said over, and over again, around here that unless you have a tech background you should not bother, people appear to ignore the (negative) advice, ring up their local (give us all your money) ROV training establishment, fill out a few forms, send them off and oddly (not), are told that they have been accepted on the course.

If people want to throw away thousands of their own Euros it’s their choice but take it from me…

Now is not the time to pay for an ROV training course plus, NEVER apply to take the course if you do not at least have Mechanical (to include hydraulics) or Electrical/Electronic background with a few years relevant experience.

If you do not have the aforementioned experience/training then you will be pissing in the wind when you start looking for work with your pockets somewhat lighter to the tune of GBP12k when you tack on some extra modules!

There are plenty of people trying to get work with that kind of experience, and more, so those without it have no chance. However it seems that will not stop you being accepted on a course.

If you ignore this (negative) advice then in a a few months time might find yourself posting here saying…..

Did the course six months ago and still looking for my first job

Sorry for being so negative about this. I’ll try and be more positive in future.

hermawan
    Participant

regarding my experient about rov it self,
    firtst time i search about rov, and i found this site, and i try to joint.
    actually i am still jobles.. but i am not hopeless seem most other guys not thinking about this. take course and got a job.

negative thinking is most of them because this area was so small not like 3 or 4 years ago. that rov booming,

for negative thinking for me is like "whip" to get more attention in rov. same like my other post that i need some people in indonesia to sharing about rov.

for me time is change and oppurtunity will came to somebody who like to patient to wait.

keep health and strong. 😀

Excableguy
    Participant

James, you should make your comments a sticky?

It is not negative!
    It is sad to see people being robbed of hard earned money! whether they be young, naive, plainly interested or just grossly misguided

If you do not have qualifications – you have no chance. Some schools, the private enterprises, will tell you differently, But car salesmen will tell you every car in their lot have low mileage and minimal depreciation. Everyone needs to make a living.

No formal trade qualifications = no chance.

The ROV course is not a FORMAL TRADE QUALIFICATION.

If you do have FORMAL trade qualifications then there is a chance to start, with or without the course. Although at the moment it is only a slim chance.

Mechanical Technician
    Hydraulics Technician
    Electronics Technician
    Electrical Technician
    Aircraft Technician
    Farm Machinery Technician
    Car Mechanic
    Blacksmith or Welder
    Industrial or home electrician
    It matters very little, once you have the qualifications and experience, it is just luck, right place right time!

I have seen a 100’s of CV’s in the last 3 years, the cooks, the dive instructors, the bar tenders, the dog trainers, the waiters, the Yacht Skippers, the Ski Instructors, the wedding cameraman the "unqualified" iaw the IMCA guidelines all are rejected. Whether someone has had an ROV course makes absolutely no difference until the IMCA guidelines are satisfied. After that it depends on the company requirements at the time.

Only one thing is certain – There is not one ROV company that is looking for someone to FLY the ROV they are all looking for someone to FIX the ROV (and fit and repair the tooling).

Anonymous

James,

I don’t think it is negative. You are telling it like it is. They have the same problem with the dive schools. The schools tell prospective students (and sometimes their parents) , "we have 100% job placement, make tons of money, tons of work, etc." just to get that tuition money in.

The only way you are going to get in now is if your daddy is in the upper management of a company that has ROV’s – the good ole boy system is alive and well.

Norwegian_Dude
    Participant

James,

ROVWorld too negative for newcomers…… YES and NO. I have been reading this site regularly for one year now, and it seems like newcomers WITH the right trade background gets friendly and good advices, while newcomers WITHOUT a relevant trade background get shit……

Fair enough, as everyone mention, you dont stand a chance without a technical background

On top of this there is always exceptions where some people are negative to every newcomers. Easy to see that these guys are old veterans in the industry and fear good trainees with up to date technical skills.

This is just my thoughts. I’m not and ROV pilot myself, but work as an Inspection Controller. I do however read this site regularly due to some job offers being posted here.

Cheers

ND

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Some useful feedback there. Lets hope that those that should take note do so, and I don’t only mean those looking at attending courses.

rigwash
    Participant

noggie dude,

it’s not that those old hands fear new blood. it’s just that the established guys get worn down by all these dreamers getting on this site asking the same qsns over and over.The even have their own sections but they still spill out into the other forums until they dominate the web site.

then when an established hand gets a bit of free time, hops on this site to have a bit of look whats happening in the industry etc he finds it clogged up with people who aren’t even in the industry. it’s a kindness to even call them rookies cause they are not rookies they are just wannabees, dreamers, tire kickers etc

if they had any intelligence they would sift through the site and get all the info they require but they persist in asking the same inane qsns over and over in the forlorn hope that someone will see there post and go…" oh yeah ,you look like a bright one, i’m sending you a ticket for your dream job now, you just sit tight (as if you were going anywhere), we will do everything, don’t bother with those pesky electronics and hyd courses you can pick all that stuff up while your f**king up our million dollar machines, we have just been holding this job open for some one like you, now you just hang by the phone and the rov world web site, don’t you trouble yourself to go door knocking or anything strenuous or go doing anything for yourself cause we want you well rested"

i for one am sick of them clogging up the home page especially, negative….too bloody true mates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Norwegian_Dude
    Participant

Wash,

What you are saying here we all agree on!

If wannabes actually search and read the forum before they are posting, they probably don’t need to post at all in many cases. But…. it seems like these new guys live under the impression that "There are no such thing as stupid question, just stupid answers"

Sadly, this "wannabes disease" is not unique to ROVWorld, but also hundreds of other forums on the World Wide Web.

That said, old posts cannot answer everything. Sure it answer posts from Taxi drivers and cooks that want to get into the industry. They don’t stand a chance anyway. However, As the time goes, different companies / regions are recruiting at a different time so qualified wannabes deserve an answer to their questions IF they have done some base reading before.

Cheers

ND

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar